Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB Performance
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheGoose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know their parts are in demand all over the world and respected. They do a lot of R&D and sponsor a lot of events. I read about them in magazines. Everybody seems happy with them. I'm thinking maybe building motors is not their focus.
Pat D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGoose wrote:
I know their parts are in demand all over the world and respected. They do a lot of R&D and sponsor a lot of events. I read about them in magazines. Everybody seems happy with them. I'm thinking maybe building motors is not their focus.
Hello, I'm not sure what is going on. I have emailed you twice with a complete parts list and quote for the engine we spoke about. The last email was yesterday. True, I'm very busy here at CB and sometimes drop the ball on returning emails but this was not the case with you. Can you call me? Only thing I can think of is I have a bad email address for you.
Pat Downs
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know whats going on, so that part I can't really speak about that, but I do know this... I would KILL to have a Pat Downs assembled engine !!

He is one of the best out there, definitely top 5 (remember the engine builder's shootout in VW Trends?)

I've been to CB and watched Pat assemble an engine--- thorough, methodical, clean clean CLEAN, and they make a LOT of horsepower.
The only downside to one of his engine is if you have a stock transaxle... start saving your $$ for a built trans... you're gonna need it.

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Hellafast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People should check with the BBS before doing buisness with any company.
vochosplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: great stuff from cb performace Reply with quote

i know all the guys there and i never had any problemas at all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheGoose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Thank You For Your Input Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input. I knew I would get good advice from this forum. I can't believe how many emails I got and how much you had to say about CB Performance. Good & Bad. I appreciate your time.

At the same time I received offers from 5 different builders who gave me detailed proposals and estimates on a package for my Bus. Bonus.
Pat Downs did contact me with an estimate immediately after I posted on Samba. He did apologize for taking so long to respond. No hard feelings.

Thanks Again.
TheGoose
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: CB Performance By Far the Best Choice Reply with quote

All is well with the world and Thank God for The Samba. After my original post, I was privileged to talk to a lot of very knowledgeable members about my project.

I can honestly say that Pat Downs and CB Performance are, by far, the best choice for me. Considering that there will be ZERO rebuilt / remanufactured parts, the amount of time, attention, skill and industry reputation going in to this motor, I could not be happier.

I am currently looking forward to the delivery of a 2005 cc turn-key motor during the first week of April.

I will start a new thread soon to update all of you on the purchase, delivery, and installation of the motor. And . . . if I can figure it out I’ll include pics.

It is amazing how many of the biggest names in ‘air-cooled’ VW actually pick-up the phone when you call their business. Don Pauter at Pauter Machine, Art Thraen at Air Cooled Engineering, Richard Long at Long Enterprises.

Thank you all for your help.
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Another good purchase from CB Performance... Reply with quote

Just received my new IDA manifolds today...only took a few days (out of country). First I received an email from Marianne the next day, verifying that my on-line order was correct and that the shipping method/price were acceptable. I had one question about shipping, which was replied to promptly.

Parts were well packed. I will not hesitate to order again Smile

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
manxfwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: CB Performance Reply with quote

Interesting,placed an order and was emailed the order total and shipping costs.Received a phone message a day later and was told that the shipping quote was incorrect and the new amount to ship would be almost twice the original quote.Yes, it was nice that they informed me of the change and whether I wanted to OK the order with the shipping increase but,geez,you would think after 5 years they could at least get shipping correct the first time. Look at the very first post of this thread in Feb 2006. Rolling Eyes
808OvalGreasemonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think CB is a top notch company,I have a lot of parts on my cars from them,however one part I just ordered is kind of having me scratch my head. I bought a killer "billet aluminum generator/alternator pulley,it is beautifully machned and a awesome product for the price,HOWEVER....the shims did not fit on the pulley hub,and I had to gring the shim i.d. to get them to slip on,no big deal.........then I tried to install my OEM size Continental belt and it was WAY too tight even with all the spacers in place,so I ordered a XL7350 belt (a 7345 was too tight and a 7355 was too loose),and the XL7350 is almost too tight,about 10mm flex. I am hoping that after I run it initially the belt will loosen up and be OK.
CB,check those shims,and can you either include more shims or tell me which sized belt I have to buy?? I do have a Scat aluminum sand seal pulley on as well,and the belt fit with the stamped crappy pulley previously.
I will still buy from CB,they have great stuff.....or atleast great stuff after you fiddle with it!
julienfromvwspirit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat is a serious engine Builder ! My 2332 engine was perfect.
Atlantic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finely decided to write something about CB Performance here.

I have ordered from them multiple times and whenever I got past Mary-Ann I was helped in a professional and friendly manner that made me ignore her unpleasant attitude.

Recently I ordered a product that I (and many here) thought was very inferior:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496549&highlight=puma+adjusters
A little disappointment, but no Problem - I figure nobody is perfect and I'd just return it.
Well now I had to deal with Mary-Ann and got a fine lesson of rude and arrogant customer service right in line with my previous experiences.
The whole VW and Porsche thing for me, as for many of us, is a fun thing or a hobby. Why should I or anybody have to deal with rude people? There are plenty of alternatives.

I am not sure if she owns the place or what the deal is. If not I feel bad for the owners and those who actually do a good job there ... not so much because they will definitely loose my little business, but more because the bad image and negative experience associated with shopping their products.
agggilli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've purchased from CB Performance quite a few times and have always been happy with the actual products I get from them, but this last time has really ticked me off. I ordered two Jet Dr. kits from them a few weeks ago, and like usual sent my payment and saw where the shipping option only listed UPS at about $14 for that. I was a little hacked. I mean a small USPS Flat Rate box would have done it for $5, but oh well. Anyway, I was expecting the package, and when it never showed up on the day the tracking number stated it should be here I was concerned.

I waited another day or so and called CB. The guy I spoke with said he was confused by what he saw on his screen and would call me back in a few minutes. He never called back. That was on a Friday. I called back on the following Monday and got Marianne. She told me that it appeared that the order had been lost, along with a few other packages they shipped on that same day. I asked if they were going to ship me a new set out and she said no, not unless you want to pay for them again. I told her I already paid for them once, I shouldn't have to pay for them twice. She said I would just have to wait until UPS did their tracer bit.

So I waited a week and called back. She told me that they still had not found it yet. I asked again, would they send me a new order out, and again she stated that only if I wanted to pay for them again. I told her that it was bull crap, since I had in good faith paid for the parts and they should take care of me and deal with UPS and their interests on their own time. Well it made no difference.

So I called back today, another full week since the last call, and finally she told me that they shipped me a new order out today. So anyway, I haven;t received a tracking number yet, and I don't have the parts yet, but at least they are on the way, I hope.

My complaint is that this is VERY BAD business. I happen to manage a customer service organization in the heavy equipment industry. We would never make a customer wait for weeks for parts that were lost. We ship out parts worth thousands of dollars at times in the interest of total customer satisfaction. I make policy decisions worth tens of thousands of dollars for items outside of normal warranty, on a daily basis in the interest of customer satisfaction. CB Performance would not resend a stupid $50 order to keep a customer happy. That is pathetic.

http://www.1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=904
NOTAHONDA
Vegas Don

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im done with CB, ordered some parts, dont show. I call, the package is still sitting there on the shelf.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67Callooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want to share what my experience has been with CB so far. i first ordered some bug in badges, i tried to order online but it wasnt working so i called the 800 number and placed my order and the guy was very helpful, he also said i'll throw in a couple of stickers. a couple of days later the package arrived and i got my bug in plaques and quite a bit of cool CB stickers !
my next purchase was a major one a pair of the CB super pro heads and having the guys at CB match port my og skat traks to the heads. on 2/10 i called and spoke to marie anne and she took my order and asked how much i wanted to pay and charged my card then the next day i sent out my manifolds to Cb for match porting, the heads arrived on friday and marie anne said on monday she would give me a price. the next time we spoke she gave me a price and we were off and running, last week she told me that it might be a little more because they were proving to need a bit more work than anticipated, i said no problem. i checked in today and marie anne gave the final price which was way more than fair and said she would try and make the ups shipment for today 2/28! now my heads are on the way and i couldnt be happier ! CB does a great job and i have no problem doing business with them again !
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered some valve springs the other night. Marieanne confirmed my order and took care of me the whole way thru. Daniel is good to deal with too, and Mark Lawless really helped me a lot when I got my Digital Magnaspark from them. Yrs ago I had some issues, but now days I've been very happy.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ame
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my first order from CB. Seven days from placing the order to receiving the goods. Nicely packaged and all items accounted for.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be friends with CB Perf. on Facebook, and enter random drawings for all sorts of goodies too! They've been very generous in that way. The more I buy from them, the more I like them. Very Happy

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spent quite a few bucks with them and another order will arrive here tomorrow. Never had an issue, and Marieanne has always been a pleasure to deal with.
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to share my recent experience with CB Performance...

Since I have been a fairly loyal customer for over 20 years and Thousands of Dollars later (Back when it was Claude's) I think I have now earned the right to share this one and hopefully this feedback gets back to the decision makers at CB Performance and/or Pat Downs!

This is not the first time this has happened but may be the last.

I called on a Monday and Marieanne answers the phone. I have ordered from Marieanne for years now and know, generally, if she will be able to answer a question or not. I had a feeling that this one might be too technical but I ask anyway. She says she will get back to me, as the guys were in the shop or out at lunch or just plain busy as heck. It’s Spring racing season so I completely understand. She asked me to email my question so it can be answered; I did.
After not getting the call or email for a day I call again on Wednesday and ask to have my questions answered. She says, "Oh I thought the guys got back to you on that, sorry, I will try to get that answered for you today".

I am still accepting the fact that they are busy and just want to get the right answer.
By Friday and one more reminder email more, I give up on getting an answer.

I never got a response!

Monday rolls around and I need to get this engine done so I blindly order new valve springs, titanium retainers, etc. that I am hoping are lighter weight than my K800's and hope they drop right into my CE heads. Really, I wanted to know all the specs of the parts so that I could do my own calculations.
I think this is some of the ambiguous marketing or lack thereof by not giving specs or instructions. CB and the VW industry as a whole are all guilty of this with the exception of Aircolled.net.

I finally get the box delivered and it's got a delivery charge of $26. It fits in the palm of my hand and weighs less than 4 Lb's.

Granted, I live in Maryland but this shipping is getting ridiculous.
Like I said in the beginning this has happened before and don't get me started talking about restocking fees!
I decided to check UPS’s Site and it estimates the box from CB to me at $17. Not only was the tiny box expensive at $17 ground shipping but then to be charged $26 was outrageous! I called CB performance asking for a MANGER and the phone was handed to Marieanne who proceeded to tell me that CB Performance gets a discount of about $2; which would bring it down to $15 actual cost to ship. This is not looking good at all for CB; then to top it off she admits she overcharged me by "$6" and offers to refund $6. Since this has happened before and I never called, I suspect this happens on every order to everyone now. Marieanne tells me there is a $4 handling or box fee; which is not posted on the receipt or website that I could find. In addition this fee seems excessive since they are making money on the sale of their own branded parts. With the internet being a large portion of their total sales, I would think this shipping issue would be considered a cost of doing business instead of an opportunity to profit from it.
Ultimately, this practice makes CB look bad in the eyes of the people who have supported CB Performance’s growth over the years.
In addition to the shipping charge issue there was a part missing from the box that I was charged for; which I am fine with, but be clearer that it is on back order and when it will be shipped.

I also ordered an oil relief plunger and got an oil relief plug. Not a huge deal but it’s something I need and will now have to pay more for the part and shipping. CB’s restocking fee is too cost prohibitive to ever send anything back. I will just eat the non-needed part; as usual.

The final thing that got missed were the CB Performance stickers I asked to please have for the kids at the Baja 500 race. It was right there in the “Special Notes Box” Not only is this free advertising for CB Performance but it builds and keeps relationships with the Racing family both here in the USA and in Mexico.

My advice to CB is to continue making the mark up (high I think sometimes) on your branded parts and throw us a bone once in a while. We all know shipping is already over the top so find cheaper ways or at least don’t double-profit from the sale of your own parts.
There are other shops to do business with if this continues.
I look forward to any response I receive.
John Cox
Cox Racing Engines
Baltimore, Maryland

This is the tiny box..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: