Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manx Style Buggy Project, Questions??
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Free_Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Manx Style Buggy Project, Questions?? Reply with quote

I have been watching the Meyers Manx Site for almost a year, just when I got to the point where I wanted to ask some questions on the forum they cut me off after only being regitered for one day. Oh well, I got lots of good information while it lasted. I'll give this site a shot. Seems to be lots of well informed people watching this site. Anyway, the questions...

1. I was thnking about taking the '71 high back seats that I have and cutting the headrest off and re-upolster them similar to early 60's seats. Anyone ever done this? How did it work out?

2. My fiberglass body will need to be painted... Are there any paint codes available for what some of the original buggies where gel coated?

3. Anyone have a good source for those cool, small, round Lucas L488 Style front signals?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks for any help in advance!!
Hugh
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colors- and still available:

http://www.meadowbrookinventions.com/hiband/index.html

L488- just got mine from here(about 70 for the pair w/shipping):

http://www.cobraaccessories.com/catalog/product_in...52a1db08a4
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29180#top
$27.95 each plus shipping.

oops- 90volts beat me to it. that will teach me to zone out while surfing the interweb.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The l488 lights also come up on ebay. My manx came with the similiar l594 lights. I kinda like that beehive look. I picked some used ones up for $31.00 off ebay.
Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going through my HotVW's collection (starting in the early 80's) and reading through some old one's. In one, they had an article on converting highbacks to lowbacks. Basically they pulled it all apart, cut the top of the frame off, and recovered it. It was only a couple of days ago. If my home PC decides to like me, I'll scan the article in for you this weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dunebuggyjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: lucas turn signals Reply with quote

Email me, as I have a new set of these lucas lights somewhere in my attic. They have the clear lens. I bought them for my manx like 6 years ago, and never ended up using them.
I Just gotta find em. Smile

-Dunebuggyjay

[email protected]
Free_Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo_Buggy, I know I had a magazine at one point that also had an article in it about the seat conversions. Of course at the time I did not have any need to perform that kind of surgery on my seats. Over time I have learned to save VW magazines regardless of needing them at the time. That must be quite a collection if you have Hot VW's from the early 80's. Anyway if you get that article that would be great. I have a little bit of work to do before I will need to do the surgery as you can see from the picture so there is no rush.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: