Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Theft proofing a Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Theft proofing a Westy Reply with quote

Greetings, Short of locking up a Pit Bull in our Westys, what sort of theft measurments do you all take to assure your vehicles are in the same place tomorrow as it was when you parked it today?
I use one Auto Lock on my clutch and one Auto Lock on my brake.
For those of us who dont have a private garage what other ideas can you offer to keep our vehicles safe?
Happy and safe trails to all, Orange Bus
Beaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just take solice in knowing that no-one would want to steal one Laughing

Oops, I forgot, I make my living investigating auto theft..... Embarassed
scottcollins72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite.... Just place a switch in the upper part of your glovebox and disconnect the negative side of the coil and put the switch in line. Only trouble is you gotta remember to turn it back on. Embarassed Done that a few too many times.
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the roter off the dizzy and put it in your glove box Wink
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing the my Westy was a theft recovery proves that there are idiots everywhere. Well it did vanish from San Fransisco, so that should be enough to complete the details.

The best things to do are the not so obvious. Don't leave stuff in plain sight. Add switches. Lo-Jack helps. Loud noises only annoy people and are ignored for the most part. Make it so you can not easily make the van move. If you do that sort of stuff, either they don't try or they give up.

In one case the dingdongs broke their tool off in the ignition lock. Thankfully, I knew how to fix that. What a pain....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for the hidden switch in the line to the coil, but also use something obvious, like a club, just to perhaps discourage the idiots from breaking something in the attempt! If there's a visible deterrent, then hopefully they'll move on to something that looks easier.

Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pocvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, these things are so ugly that they are their own theft deterrents. Laughing

Just a joke man!! Wink

1980 VW Westfalia
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good replys, One of the most popular vehicles to steal in the Bay Area is the Vanagon and thats directly from SFPD. The other van type vehicle is ........I forgot the name of it, but its the Japanese model that is flat on the back and reeeeeely pointed on the front.
The device thats used to steal these vehicles is a TowTruck!!!!!!!!!!!
Has anyone heard of a removeable steering wheel for a Vanagon?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: vanagon theft in ca Reply with quote

I'm disappointed to be reading these posts. I've had my 85 westy for about 8 months now. I was looking forward to taking it to Northern and Southern Cal. I was thinking, wow, won't have to worry about this getting stolen. I was always paranoid with my 56.

Guess, it's time to take the steering wheel club and the brake club.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
Good replys, One of the most popular vehicles to steal in the Bay Area is the Vanagon and thats directly from SFPD. The other van type vehicle is ........I forgot the name of it, but its the Japanese model that is flat on the back and reeeeeely pointed on the front.
Has anyone heard of a removeable steering wheel for a Vanagon?

I wonder what they do with the Vanagons? We are sure some druggie had ours. I found all sorts of weird stuff in there which all ended up in the trash including the stash I found. Here is what it looked like a few days after recovery: http://www.walaroo.com/van

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
Good replys, One of the most popular vehicles to steal in the Bay Area is the Vanagon and thats directly from SFPD.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Damn Shocked . Chain the axle to a light post? Rolling Eyes
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you say: Lo-Jack....

DanJReed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the ECM/Fuel pump fuse out of the dash!!!

Easy and quick!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
lilweasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go camping and I'm being paranoid- I disconnect the ECU wire (white) that goes into the ECU from the coil (I think it's the positive for the ECU) and I put it on the other side of the coil. No way someone would figure that one out! It stumped me for a couple days last time I took my engine out!
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a group of investors would make a killing if they hooked up with a designer who could design and produce a user friendly 'Boot" for everyday folks who would want to secure their vehicles.
The"Boots" you see around here are attached by the Parking Department ,to vehicles whos owhers have outstanding parking tickets.
Once they "Boot"you ,you cant move the vehicle at all until you pay your fines to the City.
Oh.... I think you have to pay the "Booting Department"as well.

"Welcome to the machine" Orange Bus
benmac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahah. to be honest with you. i never lock my doors, usualy. never locked at my house or anythign like that. i just figured there is nothing in there thjat nobody would want. haha oh well
sc-surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny someone should mention the boot. I got an email ad just the other day advertising a consumer version of the boot. Can't say where to get them as I trashed the email, but they are out there. I guess that would work pretty well. Could still be stolen with a flatbed wrecker though.
* * * Coming Soon: Washable seat covers for westy bench seat...keep the pets off the upholstery! * * *
Mulcheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is one of the reasons we live where we do. The only thing that I worry about is if I left the windows down, in case it rains. Now that it's winter alot of people leave there cars running when they go in the stores. Obviosly there is that chance that some kid will want to take a joyride but for the most part its pretty secure. The down side is that I dont have anyone within 175 miles that knows anything about these vans, if I need assitance in working on it. Haven't yet!!!
AMERI-SWISS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would refresh this thread as the snow is melting and its almost time to pull Herby out of hibernation, Plus Im moving to Zürich next month and per capita is the car theft capital of the world with all the 100,000 dollar cars just laying around here its a very atractive place for a professional car thief as you can be in eastern europe before the police finish the paper work. I am scared because I hear buses get stolen here as well. Im thinking of the switch, the boot and a low jack as well, from what I hear these guys are pros, a club is just a three second delay. I just hope I dont have to introduce someone to my Louisville F#cking Slugger, American style Baby.
CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't restore it.................lol

locks are made for honest people

if they want it they will get it.

i work is newark nj ,most auto theft in the entire US
low jack and on star are the only things that only make them secound guess if it is worth it.

i was working at a club on night and a customer came back to report his car stolen.all they left was a note on the club saying that it slowed them down by 2 sec.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: