Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift rod bushing - how to?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Update: new bushing installed.

Lot of grease, but the movement is still hard.

The shift tube now is higher and I have to register the shift rod forwarded; if I put it in the previous position (almost vertical in neutral) the force on the tube sseems to be excessive and the movement is not free.

Any hint?

I thought that the original bushing support bracket could be bent, no more perfectly vertical, so the tube does not travel freely into it.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
Update: new bushing installed.
Lot of grease, but the movement is still hard.

When I replaced mine, the plastic was thicker, and so the clamping ring had too strong a grip, making it hard to slide, resulting in breakage shortly after.

Before fitting the rod, place the bushing and ring on it at the position it will be in when installed. Make sure it has no play, but does not have a death grip on it. I had to loosen the ring considerably to get this setting. Then install as usual.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

SOB!

So I could have to redo the whole work???

Before to proceed let me argumentate the question.

With new bushing I have 2 issues:

1) the rod end is too high
2) the movement is stiff

For the 1); it is normal that, respect to the position before (without bushing) the rod raise up for the bushing thickness, exactly for the thickness of plastic in the bushing throat where it fits in the anular bracket.
But in that how strong is the bushing circlip should have no influence

For the 2) the circlip can be the issue... and, as KTPhil said, I did not test it on the rod before mounting. This is a SPRING circlip so I cannot hope that a natural erasure could solve the situation because the force of the spring is the same also with a bushing worn.

I have an hypotesis: something has gone wrong during the rod insertion and the bushing has moved and do not correctly seat on its bracket. This could explain the wrong rod position and the stiffness...

this evening I will check the situation.
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Hi, I had a question. I know the factory shift rod is supposed to have a bend, from the I've seen it's a slight bend. I took mine out to replace the bushing and it was really hard. Is my shift rod "bent" I say that as in more than it should of been from the factory. Mine is a 1964 beetle if that makes a difference thanks for the help!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

I would imagine if the bend is wrong, it would bind, since it's held in three places as it is supposed to slide (rod socket, bushing, coupler). If you do remove it to do it over, I would take a photo and try to get some measurements of the bend in yours... where along its length, how much of an angle or offset... and maybe someone has one here to measure and compare.

By the way, I use a little grease all along its length to act as a rust inhibitor. Grease it, then wipe it down so it's slippery but not gooey.

Last edited by KTPhil on Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Okay, thanks! I have no put it back in yet. I will post a picture of the bend distance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

They are perfect measurements, since it wasn't perfectly end to end.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Excellent. I don't have one handy, but hopefully someone here has the right rod and can measure for you.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

I'm sure that this has been posted somewhere else in this thread.
But it's worth posting again for those that haven't read all the way through it.

I noticed in one of Ceckert64's images. He has a length of cord through the trans coupling end of his shift rod.

This cool tool makes withdrawing and installing the shift rod easy and painless.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

After reading all the trials and tribulations thus far on installing the bushing, I was a little concerned of how difficult this was going to be.

I stole the idea of the plastic pipe "pusher". I didn't really even measure it that well but sort of eyeballed an opening and cut out a section from some 1 1/2 OD plastic pipe. This provided the cradle as per the above post.

I was fortunate that I had the body off but I had painted the rod previously with KBS paint and thought that it was going to be difficult.

However not to sound like a smart-ass, it took all of 2 minutes to line up the rod and bushing and push it through. I did NOT use any grease but sprayed the tip of the rod only with WD40 Silicone Spray. I think the grease may actually increase the difficulty of pushing through the bushing. A little push only was needed and it went in so easily, I thought I had pushed the bushing out of its holder.

The only difficulty I had was trying to insert the bushing into the holder because of my large mitts. However I found a bit of silicone and the proctologist method seemed to work in the end. Very Happy
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
However not to sound like a smart-ass, it took all of 2 minutes to line up the rod and bushing and push it through.

This part didn't take me long either on my 1970, using a similar length of PVC.

viiking wrote:
I did NOT use any grease but sprayed the tip of the rod only with WD40 Silicone Spray. I think the grease may actually increase the difficulty of pushing through the bushing. A little push only was needed and it went in so easily, I thought I had pushed the bushing out of its holder.

Good. But I'd now grease the rod.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Yes. Once I installed the rod, I did withdraw it and used some grease to grease the end of the shift rod where the wear through the bushing would be evident.

I have read the previous posts where people grease the whole rod liberally to prevent rusting and also provide lubrication. I think that is just a dirt and dust magnet, hence why I initially painted the whole thing with the KBS anti rust paint.
Smile
&Dan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Glad that's done...f*cker better downshift to 2nd Reply with quote

X1,000 on the PVC pusher pal. Also, shine that shift rod up like a new bumper, even take a moment to give it a coat of wax which will make it slippery but not pick up scuzz from inside the tunnel: I was pleasantly surprised how easily the thing pushed through, pausing a couple times to make certain the bushing had not popped out. Slicker'n snot on a doorknob.
FWIW, WW-brand bushing.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

viiking wrote:
Yes. Once I installed the rod, I did withdraw it and used some grease to grease the end of the shift rod where the wear through the bushing would be evident.

I have read the previous posts where people grease the whole rod liberally to prevent rusting and also provide lubrication. I think that is just a dirt and dust magnet, hence why I initially painted the whole thing with the KBS anti rust paint.
Smile

If the rod is inserted without lubrication, or painted, I think this cause a serious worning of the bushing, like sandpaper.

So, after all the work, the new bushing is already worn.
a.marscapone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Took on the bushing replacement. Success! Thank you all for giving me the courage to take this on.

A few thoughts:
    - Read this entire forum for ideas, instructions and inspiration
    - Have someone handy to help push or pull the rod through (removal and installation)
    - Remove the passenger seat for easy access. I removed the driver’s and kept hitting my head on the steering wheel Shocked
    - I used twine to guide/pull the rod back in and to keep access to the new bushing in case it fell. Tie it to the transmission end before pulling it out. Cut it at the shifter location, thread the bushing and knot the twine after

Shifts like new now. I was hoping it would help with the grinding when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, but alas, that is a project for another time.

Historical side note
Back in the day, I knew nothing about this, had not yet purchased my John Muir book, and the internet was science fiction... The shifter rod in my first 67 fell out of the broken bracket and was dead in the bottom of the tunnel. I used a wire hanger (sorry Joan) to scoop the shifter rod up, and thought “now what?” Think So with the rod looped in, I bent and braced hanger on both sides of the outside of the tunnel, installed the shifter, and drove that way for the rest of the life of the car. Not a long-term recommendation[-X

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nevohteeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the shift gear that can sound totally stupid.
Actually, I am restoring a 1965 bug that I haven't had the possibility to ride yet.

I noticed that the shifting gear does not go automatically back into the middle (neutral) position while passing from 2nd to 3rd. I am looking for the reason for that, so here is my "stupid" question : is this the role of the spring located between the stop plate and the ball housing ?
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

The old Bug shifter does not return to neutral or toward either gate when in neutral. The spring under the top cover holds the half ball up into the cover so it works as a piviot for shifting in gears 1-4. It, plus the plate under the spring work together to provide the reverse lockout function.
Nevohteeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Hello EVfun,

thank you for the reply.

EVfun wrote:
The old Bug shifter does not return to neutral or toward either gate when in neutral.

I did not know that, which is why I mentioned "stupid question" in my topic. Smile
It's good to know.

Thank you again.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

I’m preparing to tackle replacing the bushing and coupler in my ‘67 Beetle. I’ve looked on VW’s online parts website, however, the bushing, clip, and coupler all come up as no longer available from VW.

Who currently sells the best quality bushings and couplers?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

The parts should be available from just about ANY aftermarket supplier of air cooled VW parts. Just guessing, CIP1, JBugs, Mid-America Motorworks, AirCooled.net, CBPerformance, to name a few.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 17 of 20

Jump to: