Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shift rod bushing - how to?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
The parts should be available from just about ANY aftermarket supplier of air cooled VW parts. Just guessing, CIP1, JBugs, Mid-America Motorworks, AirCooled.net, CBPerformance, to name a few.

Thanks, however, many have made negative comments regarding the quality of the aftermarket parts...especially the bushing.

I’m Looking for the best quality out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Video: JBugs - VW Beetle - shift rod bushing replacement https://youtu.be/ttjuH03nEl8

Video: Replace VW Shift Coupler and Bushing - ROTTEN OLD 1956 VW Beetle - 88 https://youtu.be/MHQd0SpxuLE
Airstream65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

I replaced the bushing in my 67 about 3 weeks ago, took about an hour! The trick that I used is getting some long pliers that look like needle nose, but the end has about a 45 degree bend. No string necessary! I was really dreading this, but mine was relatively simple, don't forget to purchase a new coupler while you're at it!
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:

Thanks, however, many have made negative comments regarding the quality of the aftermarket parts...especially the bushing.

I’m Looking for the best quality out there.

A while back I saw where one of the companies listed a cheaper shift rod bushing and a more expensive one that it said was 'OE German quality' or something like that. Can't remember who it was right off. Confused There's a metal one available in the classifieds. Cool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1740498

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:

A while back I saw where one of the companies listed a cheaper shift rod bushing and a more expensive one that it said was 'OE German quality' or something like that.

Bug City, but they're out of stock Crying or Very sad
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Cip1 says they have them.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D111%2D701%2D259%2DASET

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

In preparation for replacing the bushing in my Beetle, this morning I made a shift rod “Extraction/Insertion Tool” as described earlier in this thread. It’s 1” ID PVC pipe with an overall length of 5’

The plan I copied...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And my finished product ready to go...

I’m eager to try it out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Experienced guys will know to do this, the inexperienced will not.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

I marked all around the plate circumference/edge on mine.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TheRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

I ordered this one, we'll see what the quality is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shift-Rod-Bushing-JP-Grou...%7Ciid%3A1
corro23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Great thread ... Thanks to everyone who contributed. We put in a new bushing a coupler this last weekend. Everything went pretty smooth!

Next time I will make that PVC tool. It looks like it would be a huge help!
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

corro23 wrote:
Great thread ... Thanks to everyone who contributed. We put in a new bushing a coupler this last weekend. Everything went pretty smooth!

While that PVC tool is handy, the MOST important thing (aside from marking the shifter base to the tunnel mount - I used White-out) is tying twine to the shift rod through the under-seat access before you withdraw it from the car. Then you have a "come-along" to guide it through the tunnel and not get hung up on the stuff in the tunnel. I did this by myself and while it was a longer process than having a buddy pushing in the rod as you pull the twine, it worked. I just used a broom handle to shove it in once it got past the access hole in the front. But either way, the twine is critical.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
corro23 wrote:

While that PVC tool is handy, the MOST important thing (aside from marking the shifter base to the tunnel mount - I used White-out) is tying twine to the shift rod through the under-seat access before you withdraw it from the car. Then you have a "come-along" to guide it through the tunnel and not get hung up on the stuff in the tunnel. I did this by myself and while it was a longer process than having a buddy pushing in the rod as you pull the twine, it worked. I just used a broom handle to shove it in once it got past the access hole in the front. But either way, the twine is critical.

To add to this, the other CRITICAL thing is to source and purchase the highest quality plastic bushing you can find. I bought one that I "thought" was good quality. It lasted a month. I then got to do this all over again but this time I had sourced NOS German bushings. Years later, all is still good.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
corro23 wrote:

To add to this, the other CRITICAL thing is to source and purchase the highest quality plastic bushing you can find. I bought one that I "thought" was good quality. It lasted a month. I then got to do this all over again but this time I had sourced NOS German bushings. Years later, all is still good.

Absolutely! I got the parts for two different cars (65 and 67) many years ago (when I started this thread in 2006) from Wolfsburg West and they're still going strong. Using a good grease is important, too Wink

-Kent

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

I didn't use the twine trick when I replaced the shift bushing on my 1970, but think that's a good idea. I used the PVC pipe tool.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Shocked Hello all.Well my 67 type 1, has a cracked shift bushing holder.So I was able to move the shift rod forward up to the bumper.So then I was able to drill out old welds.And then proceed to cut the bracken .I was able to get it out, in about 3 pieces.My question is how do you get the new one in?The shift hole under the shifter is to small. And the only way is in the rear? Any suggests? Thx,theduck. Cool
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Will it fit through the same front access hole the rod is now sticking through?
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Shocked I still have the shift rod out up to the bumper.The hole looks pretty small. Also ,the bracket may get hung up on the other tubes? So I am wondering is their a "Trick" to get it in.Thx,for the reply.theduck. Cool
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Fish the bracket through the front tunnel access hole.
I used a piece of rope tied to the bracket. If you are an electrician, you likely own a "fish tape"reel. That can be used to get the end of the rope through the shift rod hole and then pull the bracket into place.
It's not hard. My bracket didn't get hung up inside the tunnel using the rope (cheap clothes line) method.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
theduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Shift rod bushing - how to? Reply with quote

Very Happy Will give a try. Thx,for the info,theduck Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: