Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No real work....but some progress...
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: No real work....but some progress... Reply with quote

The wife and I moved last July and when we did I lost my shop. Can't build another shop until spring comes so my Manx project is sitting in the garage. Unlike my old shop, this garage is attached to the house so no real work can be done....and as you can see I have NO ROOM anyways!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

But I can do some things.....like buy stuff! Here is my motor to date.
[I

Nothing really exciting. Stock 1600 DP. Trying to build this buggy on a decent, but not crazy budget. I picked up these seats on Saturday..

And got these wheels a few weeks ago...

Still waiting for a decent carb set up to come my way, then a new flywheel/clutch/gland nut and the motor will be done.

The body...well that will have to wait until spring. Repairs, side pods and bright tangerine paint are on the list.

Its almost 7 years since my last buggy project and I am going crazy waiting!
MDmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all looks great, looking forward to seeing the final product. Color sounds cool!

I just purchased the same exhaust for my manx. Did yours fit together like it was ment to, or did you have to modify the tube feeding the muffler to make it fit?

good call on the side pods, really helps make the manx look like a car and not a fiberglass tub on wheels.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far the system is exhaust is just mocked up on the motor to see how it fit together. I had to sand the inside of the tubes where the front pipes slide in. I also coated them with some anti-seize. They were tight but went together OK. Where the muffler and pipe attach does seem to be a little off. I did some sanding to both mating surfaces and it fit a little better, but still does not seem right. I am contemplating either getting a tube expander, or put my dremel in there and sand down the inside of the pipe a little more. I also will be looking to get a stainless steel band type exhaust clamp for that connection. Overall i think the exhaust is put together well, just two small things: 1. I am replacing the bolts with some stainless pieces. 2. They give you a standard steel muffler clamp. That will look terrible in a month when exposed to the weather so I will be looking for a stainless steel muffler band clamp

I agree...the side pods are a must. This will be a 100% street driver so it will have a lower stance. I already have the avis adjusters for the front and will probably take the rear down a notch or two.
UncleBob
Grease Midget

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
They give you a standard steel muffler clamp. That will look terrible in a month when exposed to the weather so I will be looking for a stainless steel muffler band clamp

If you expose that purdy engine to the elements, the band clamp will be the least of your worries. If you keep the chrome waxed, polished, and garaged, it will last a while.

Did you get a chance to stuff those seats in yet?

"One time, a band clamp..."

don't worry, the ciggaret is fake.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, haven't stuffed them in yet. Maybe tonight for a picture. I did sit in them and I fit pretty well (for being a 6'2" overweight desk jockey). Width wise I think they are spot on.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Finally.... Reply with quote

After several deals which fell through I finally got my carbs. Several of you have probably seen my posts from two other deals that turned sour on two different sets of Kads. Well I finally got these off Ebay

They are basically brand new. The seller said 25 miles and they certainly look it. No gas smell, no tarnish, no dirt. Absolutely perfect.

One question tho....my heads have little locating dowels in them. The Kad manifolds do not have corresponding holes. I tried to pull them out with no luck. Any suggestions? Heat the heads? dremel them off? Drill them flush?

Also picked up a set of side pods from Texasbuggies. They are being shipped via Greyhound bus.

Cutting down some trees this weekend, so hopefully my shop will be up soon!
Jimmler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone say "new shop"?

It's not brand new (built in 2003), but it's 2000 sq. ft. of pure heaven! My problem was starting projects before everything was done. Now there's stuff all over the place and I still don't have my office built. Needless to say, that's where I spend all my spare time and lovin' every minute of it.
seabeebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iam building a shop about the same size but with an apartment on top for guest? it has a basement under it and will have an underground 10' wide tunnel to the home that is about 1/4 mile away from house , this way in the winter I can hop on the golf cart and drive snow free. the tunnel will hook up to the basement in the home . it is really cool looking on paper. and I hope to start building it this summer. Utah home not CA.

A better place to talk offroad
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking for decent stainless pipe clamp - (canon style - need to clanp teh front and rear pipe sections that slide together - Where do you find one?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: