Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Since we're talking front suspension...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Since we're talking front suspension... Reply with quote

71' Bus---I have some kind of odd clak* sound when I hit bumps at low to moderate speed.
I know the front end of a bus pretty well and my ball joints are tight- just had the spindles off a few weeks ago.
Anyway, hit a pothole or speedbump and I get a *clak clak* kind of dull noise. Hubs / bearings are great, lubed and solid. I jacked it up today and pried on the drag link and the center pivot- nothing. All mounting bolts tight.
It *did* get worse when I put some pretty stout KYB Gas-Adjust's on the front a week or so ago. I didn't like the mushy feel, so I went stiffer. Old shocks were fine, but softer spring. Shocks are tight obviously, bushings are new. The noise was just barely noticable before switching shocks, I mean I wouldn't even have thought twice about it. BUt now its bad enough to scare the wife.
I have a reciept for an entire front end rebuild less than 20k ago for this bus...which makes me suspicious.
What else can I look for?

'P.s. Whats the official toe-in on a bus for doing a driveway alignment? I think I set 3/16"-1/4" at 48" out from the center of the hub. But I have 7" wheels on the thing too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
caldwell54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My noise turned out to be broken torsion leaves inside the tube.
They were broken in the center where the grub screw tightens
against them. Hopefully that is not your problem.

Good Luck
Dean
GroversBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, same thing here, broken torsion leaves was the culpret. after i replace the front end, it went away completely as well as other obvious problems

570-290-4419
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caldwell54 wrote:

My noise turned out to be broken torsion leaves inside the tube.
Hopefully that is not your problem.

Dean! Look at how they enriched your life. Maybe he needs the lessons learned! How's your bus doing?
Reverend Colin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: