Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rejuvenating a bulkhead mat
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject: Rejuvenating a bulkhead mat Reply with quote

Hi all, had a flick through the search results and didnt find out much so Id like to hear about your experiences rejuvenating rubber. I have a nice og bulkhead mat that I want to freshen up but I dont want to make any mistakes cos it took long enough to find this one. I heard about glycerine and vasaline. ANy other recommendations? How do you apply this stuff without doing any damage?

Cheers
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rejuvenating a bulkhead mat Reply with quote

zimblewinder wrote:
Hi all, had a flick through the search results and didnt find out much so Id like to hear about your experiences rejuvenating rubber. I have a nice og bulkhead mat that I want to freshen up but I dont want to make any mistakes cos it took long enough to find this one. I heard about glycerine and vasaline. ANy other recommendations? How do you apply this stuff without doing any damage?

Cheers

I have had good experiences with glycerin on

real vinyl leatherette (aka og seat covers)
seat stand mats
I've heard of it being used on floor mats.

On the plus side... it can't hurt it. I'd wash the mat with simple green and water and a brush first. Apply glycerin liberally with a clean damp rag. Repeat daily for a few days. It takes a while for the stuff to soak in well. It's good for your skin, too. They put it in stuff like Corn Huskers Lotion.
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought. If I grease this thing up really well with glycerine am I going to be able to glue it to the bulkhead again? Should I stick it on first then apply?

Thanks Clara, I always appreciate your postings.
Cheers Very Happy
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the props. Very Happy

The glycerin will all soak into the mat. So I wouldn't think there'd be any trouble sticking it to the bus as long as you don't try to glue it to freshly glycerined (wet) rubber. I'd do it out of the bus, then wait a few days, then stick the mat to the bus.
I haven't actually glued one to a bus, so I am just guessing here. But the glycerin wetness does soak in overnight. I used glycerin on the desert dry seats in my 53 standard, and it made a huge improvement in making the vinyl leatherette actually reclaim some suppleness from being super brittle. It did not discolor the material, FWIW
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I used vasaline to install some window seals. A few people jumped up and down about how this was such a bad idea and how the vasaline attacks the rubber... Just a word of caution. It didn't do anything to the rubber in the 2 years I observed it, but you never know! I would stick to using glycerin if it work like Clara says.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: