Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9L water pump help
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: 1.9L water pump help Reply with quote

1983.5 westy 1.9L

I'm having some trouble with a water pump installation. I spent yesterday removing the water pump for replacement. I followed the instructions per a list member's web site. After some challenging moments getting the old pump removed, I then had a few more challenges getting the new pump installed. The lower metal coolant pipe was difficult to attatch due the bolt alignment, but I was able to get it hooked up. The real issue now is the upper metal coolant pipe, (the one w/the o-ring). I can't seem to get the new o-ring to slide into the water pump. I have three different o-rings, and used a couple of different lubes to try to push it into the pump. Does anyone have some advice on how to get this in without bending the pipe? Each time I try, the o-ring gets pinched or pushes out aroung the tube.

jamie foust
des moines, iowa
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmfoust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: o-ring update Reply with quote

I finally got the tube in yesterday (Saturday). I removed the tube to clean up the o-ring recess, and after staring at it for awhile trying to figure out why I was having so much trouble, I realized that there may not be enough room for the o-ring to expand when compressed in the housing. I carefully opened up the recess by bending back the outer lip of the tube - very little. This allowed me to use my fingers to push the o-ring in as I slid the tube into the housing. No leaks and no problems. I'll spend today bleeding the coolant system. Smile

jamie foust
1983.5 westy
des moines, iowa
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deep_Blue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with the metal pipe, but my o-ring went right on tight and stayed that way, no leaks (from that area Rolling Eyes ).
Could they have given you an o-ring one size to large? I guess it's too late now, but just a thought.

That metal pipe is a major PITA. It looks like they could have used a normal rubber hose in that area, but went with two hoses and a pipe. Weird. Mine's dented to heck from the angry install. hah. I found that if you loosely put all bolts in, then tighten after they are all in place it works easier.
deelanger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: yeah that pesky yellow o-ring.. Reply with quote

It's an old post, but this may help someone else.
Re: the yellow o-ring that can be a real PITA to get in.
Try gently heating the area around the waterpump assembly where the pipe and o-ring fit into.
Once properly heated, the diameter of the assembly's hole expands enough to allow the tight fitting pipe and o-ring assembly to slip right in.

I use a propane torch set on low, but remember I said heat gently; you don't want to get it so hot as to damage the o-ring on contact.
Hope this helps.
weinerwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there done that many times....

I found silicon gasket douche as you slide that tube in, let it set up a bit....hope for the best

one of the many Vanagon better ideas that was corrected with the 2.1
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: