Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

porsche engine in bug
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsoupee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: porsche engine in bug Reply with quote

would i have to do any major modifications to put a late 356 engine in a 64 bug? would it match up to the og trans,or could it be possible to put the porsche tranny in it also. thanks ,tom
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will fit. You'll have to fabricate some tin to match the engine to the body.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: porsche engine in bug Reply with quote

tsoupee wrote:
would i have to do any major modifications to put a late 356 engine in a 64 bug? would it match up to the og trans,or could it be possible to put the porsche tranny in it also. thanks ,tom

i wanted to do that too, but I decided after reading old performance threads that the idea of putting a 356 engine in a bug is moot, unless you are nostalgic about bugs with porsche motors in them. do you have one lying about at home? if not, i would opt for a built type I motor. (can be better than 356...way better).

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: porsche engine in bug Reply with quote

millerje78 wrote:
i wanted to do that too, but I decided after reading old performance threads that the idea of putting a 356 engine in a bug is moot, unless you are nostalgic about bugs with porsche motors in them. do you have one lying about at home? if not, i would opt for a built type I motor. (can be better than 356...way better).

Agreed. It's much cheaper to build a hi-po Type 1 than a 356/912 engine. There's also a lot more options and parts and don't forget the cost of parts.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are talking about is a type 4 motor. I would take a look at Jake Raby's site, or go to shoptalkforums.com for more info. I run a 2770 type 4 motor, pulls about 200hp at the wheels, dyno tested. Type 4 motors are definately more expensive than a type 1, but the type 4 has much more torque, and more reliable.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here it is on the dyno.

Last edited by markm on Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
inch pincher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markm wrote:
What you are talking about is a type 4 motor. I would take a look at Jake Raby's site, or go to shoptalkforums.com for more info. I run a 2770 type 4 motor, pulls about 200hp at the wheels, dyno tested. Type 4 motors are definately more expensive than a type 1, but the type 4 has much more torque, and more reliable.

yeah that would be fun,
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAAAAMN Shocked ! Purist attitude aside that car is awesome! I'd LOVE to take that one for a spin!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
millerje78
Samba Amishman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 356 porsche motor is not the same as the type IV.

do your research, consult with experts, and buy quality parts. you won't be sorry
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: