Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Help! Need Everyones Opinion On Value Of Dune Buggy!!
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
miller2706
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Need Help! Need Everyones Opinion On Value Of Dune Buggy!! Reply with quote

If someone could just take a moment of your time to assist me with a problem, I would surely appreciate it. I need as many people as possible to provide me with an appraisal or opinion of a Volkswagen Dune Buggy I recently purchased from my fathers estate. I am a 32 year old Blue Earth County Deputy Sheriff here in Mankato Minnesota and have not had any luck finding anyone local that is a volkswagen enthusiast to give me any amounts.

To make a long story short, my Dad passed away last october 23rd of suicide after he found out my stepmother was having an affair and left him for another man. With my Dads death, and their divorce not yet final, my stepmother was left in control of his entire estate which is worth several hundred thousand, as since he was kinda an old farm boy, he had no will. My three sisters and I have no legal power or authority since my Dad had no will, and since his death, we have been basically closed out of anything to do with my Dad or his estate.

My dad owned a 1960 volkswagen dune buggy. Its NOT a meyers manx, but similar in style. He bought it in the early 1970's, and its been in the family ever since. I drove it for several years while I was in high school, but since about 1991 its been parked. It shows 9,300 miles on the volkswagen odometer. My stepmother knew this was the only item of my Dads I wanted, and called me about a month ago and told me if I wanted it, I had to pay her $2,000 for it or she would sell it to someone else. Its sentimental value to me is priceless, so I paid her in full and grabbed the dune buggy as soon as I could.

When I got the buggy home, I discovered time had not been good to it. Below is a list of the things I found wrong with it, and a list of the good things. Anyway, what I did was put a stop payment on the check I had wrote her and told her attorney we I would not pay $2,000 for something in this condition, and now she is sueing me in district court for the money she says I owe my dads estate. I just want a Judge to hear my case. My entire family, aunts, uncles, cousins and all three of my sisters all agree I should be gifted the buggy and that $2,000 is an outragous price, but I guess only a judge will decide. Minnesota law requires me, with a judges ruling, that I only have to pay the APPRAISED VALUE of the buggy at the time of my Dads death, not the $2,000 she made me pay. So, in a worst case scenario for me, I will be ordered to pay the buggys appraised value to my former stepmother, and thats where everyones opinions come in.

What I need from as many volkswagen enthusiasts as possible is a simple e-mail stating your opinion as to a value of the buggy. I will use these e-mails as evidence in court to show everyones opinion of its value. In no way will anyone be involved with the case directly, I am only using the opinions as a general standpoint to help a judge determine the value of the dune buggy. Its literally impossible to have a local car appraiser give me a value since they are not familiar with dune buggys and volkswagens in general as well as the fact that I have also disassembled it and began repairing it since getting it. I have sent out this e-mail to 27 different people now, and have only a few replys, so any help at all would be great. I understand with internet fraud these days, people are a little sketchy on giving out their name and phone numbers, etc. I would like to have peoples names and numbers if possible, so as the "foundation" of the evidence is stronger, but I understand if people dont like to give out that information.

My family and I would greatly appreciate any opinions anyone has, both good and bad, on the value of this buggy. Like I said, the buggy has been in my family for around 35 years and its sentimental value to me is beyond comparison. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide. Anyone feel free to call me anytime with any help or opinions you may have, Thanks

Rick Miller
100 Savannah Ct.
Mankato, MN
507-380-7236
e-mail me at [email protected]

Good Points:
15" centerline rims
newer plastic front seats with vinyl covers
newer battery
newer chrome belt cover
new yokohama rear tires
looks like newer distributor cap and points
painted yellow over gelcoating, shines nice from about 10 ft.
no rust....ha ha

Bad Points:
rear seat rotted, both top and bottom
carpet moldy and ruined
shifter bent and loose, will not go into reverse
front brakes need complete rebuild, right side front tire is locked up solid, brake lines hard and cracking
master cylinder leaking a little
fuel tank rusted on bottom and small leak, (I think some JB weld may fix it
headlights rusty and not working
centerline rims pitting, and stained from brake fluid on front, none of tires balanced
front end all loose, (jack up wheel and it moves up and down), steering is loose and sloppy
fiberglass body loose from pan, bolts broken off in pan
pan rusted completely through on both sides behind front seats, about 12" wide and 12" long
pan fixed at one time near foot pedals with chunk of sheetmetal riveted to metal underneath
throttle and clutch cables need replacing, both patched up with clamps and wire
rear brakes not even hooked up
holes drilled in body on backend near tail lights, (6 of them, about 1/8 inch around), and about 10 more on sides of rear, little bigger though
dash has hole drilled in it for some sort of toggle switch
steering wheel rusty, foam peeling off
no roll bar, but holes in body on both sides for one
front tires wont hold air, low on tread
oil leak at dipstick
starts, but wont run for more than 10 seconds then dies, when it is running it smokes from left side exhaust and runs rough
its a single port 1200cc 36hp or 40hp engine
carb has choke assembly loose and flopping, form a gasket around carb to intake seal, also leaks gas at throttle linkage
generator not hooked up
heavy oil buildup at intake manifold to cylinder gaskets
mouse nest on left side cylinders under fan shroud, no sign of mice yet though
exhaust is almost solid rust, and leaks near cylinders, but solid in thickness and strength
blows oil out of oil filler tube, which then drips down onto cylinders
spark plug wires bad, cracked and not sealing at distributor
fuel line leaking where rubber hose under body meets copper tubing, not oricinal fuel line which runs inside frame, this one runs across the passenger side floor
rear bumper solid rust, but solid and strong
air filter all rusty chrome, deep pitted and dirty element
spark plugs look like they are the originals! very heavy carbon and oil buildup
paint is chipping off at edges of body and spots on hood. Big chunks on sides where people climb in
windshield bent back on drivers side and frame gouged up really bad. (my dad had a little to much beer one night and ran it into the ditch and hit a barbed wire fence!)

I have pictures to email everyone if that would help, Thanks again.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mr. Unpopular
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an expert since I'm new to dune buggies, but I'd say a value of about $1k is reasonable. Most pay about $500 for a body that needs alot of work and paint. Yours is complete but has many issues. I'd say $1k is fair.

I really wanted to reply and say how terribly sorry I am about this situation. Its so unfortunate what money can do to a family. A co-worker of mine is in a similar situation with his dad's estate. It really sucks to try and remember your dad while the family is fighting with each other over a fiberglass car (amongst other items I'm sure) Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw (o\!/o) nut
Samba Member

Location: Wisconsin - Where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to here of your loss. I recently purchased a buggy in similiar condition for less than $1,000. That seems to be the going price for this part of the country. You have a good start. With some extra $ and patience, you'll have a car you certainly will be proud of.
lostinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick,
Unfortunatly, in your case, dune buggy resale values are subject to what the buyer is willing to pay. Granted the average price of buggys has increased in the last few years.
I recently did a mechanical restoration for a local couple which cost them $2,300 not including the price of the tires and wheels. Here is a link to the rebuild, maybe you can you use it for reference.

http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album224

Good Luck and welcome to the hobby.

Jerry.....
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are asking for opinions, and mine will not be nice. For God's sake this is a family estate mater. Pay the $2000 and keep peace in the family. It would be far cheaper then draging it through the courts. If you persue the court you will loose all contact with the rest of your siblings and you may regreat it later. It disgusts me how bad family members will tear each other apart and break off all family ties forever just over a few $$$ splitting up the family estate.

Pay the $2000 and keep peace and love in your family. It will be worth it many years from now.
miller2706
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you didnt read the entire posting very closey. Please read it closer and let me know if you have an opinion as to what the dollar value of it would be. Thanks
seabeebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say from 750 to 1200.

A better place to talk offroad
plasticman1432
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the description, I'd say it's worth no more than a grand.....but the original poster stated there is a great deal of 'sentimental value' in it, so it might be worth more to him than any of us.

IMO the stepmother telling him she'd sell it off if he didn't cough up $2000 is extortion.

'68 Meyers Manx: M1689D815E

http://public.fotki.com/VWDave/
pdity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for your loss. I would contact Sue and Dave at Berrien buggy. They have been in the buggy business for many year and have a good reputaion as far as buggy industry goes. They may hold the most weight in your case, I bought my glass buggy new from them and are really nice people to work with. you can contact them at www.berrienbuggy.com talk to sue. Plus they are located in Michigian. Hope this will help
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would pay the 2K and let it go at that. going through the court i bet you will have to give it back since you did not honor the agreement. and then she probably won't sell it to you for any price.
as to the price. it depends alot where in the country you are. i think it is a lot easier, and cheaper, to pick up a buggy in california, and even florida, than the east coast or middle america. that needs to be taken into accout. mine was not in much better shape and i paid 3K for it. but that was what area buggie were going for- and they were very few and far between. in addition i had to rent a uhaul trailer and drive 8 hours to go get it!
pay the money and let it go. you have the buggy, now enjoy it. if she takes it back you aren't going to be able to replace that.
miller2706
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thank you to all the fellow buggy boys. I really appreciate all of your advice and opinions and hope what you guys have provided me with will be sufficient for the judge. Thanks again.

Also, if anyone else wishes to post their opinion, feel free, our court date is not for another couple of months!!
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This situation occurs time and time again (people trying to figure out what an item is worth). I understand that you are trying to get a price so you dont feel like you have paid too much, however i think the sedimental value weighs in pretty heavy here. i know that if there were a car that my grandfather (i dont like my father) had for years and years, that i also had memories from the past in, i would pay what it takes to get it into your possession. if you plan on having it forever like your father did what does the $$$ value matter. its one thing if you dont have the cash, if that is the case i truelly feel for you becouse you will loose part of your past, but if you have the $$$ than just paid this lady and make the buggy part of your family again.......
Will

"My pappy said son, you worthless hippy, you shameless drug fiend, you no good alcoholic, you commie punk, you gonna drive me to drinking if you dont stop driving that hot rod lincoln"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rterfert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To make a long story short, my Dad passed away last october 23rd of suicide after he found out my stepmother was having an affair and left him for another man. With my Dads death

Sorry for your loss, people sometimes just don't think far enough ahead about actions taken.
I always try to buy buggies for the least amount possible and end up putting more money in them cleaning them up....In your case the buggy in its current condition (as described) lets say $500 -$1000 tops and I could find a better buy with time.
You however have sentimental value in this car and for no other reason but to keep the car in the family might be worth spending the $2000(monetary sacrifice) to keep it out of the hands of the others that won't appreciate it.
Good luck and get the title in your name.

[/quote]
bgs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm concerned the wrong person is gone.
Sorry to hear about your Father. That ride
looks like it needs a lot of work. 750.00 to
1200.00 tops.
WuZaBuG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to see yet another example of the power money has over some people. I am truely sorry for your loss.
Pay the $2,000.00. get a reciept, put the buggy in your name and move on.
As far as value, I think a car is worth what the market will bear. In your case, it bears $2,000.00.
Sentimental value aside, I think the buggy is worth around $800.00
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: