Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 1973, I helped a friend build what I remember being a Shalako, it had gull wing style doors, and as I remember, it was set up as a mid engine configuration. It had a 40 horse engine, with a big bore kit, etc., as I recall we had problems with the studs pulling out of the case, also you sat almost on the floor, and with solid trans mounts, it was very noisy, andyou felt every engine vibration. It was probably not a good kit for a high school student without a lot of money. The gullwing doors came without any window glass, and we used windows from an RV parts place (ugly). Have to try and get a hold of my buddy, to see what he remembers, it was his car.
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy hearing stories of a bygone time involving Shalakos, there ahve been several who have gotten ahold of me and told me about there Shalako they owned in the 70s

"My pappy said son, you worthless hippy, you shameless drug fiend, you no good alcoholic, you commie punk, you gonna drive me to drinking if you dont stop driving that hot rod lincoln"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WuZaBuG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd post a link to Photobucket where you can see more pics of my Shala(ko)

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/WuZaBuG/Shal...edia=image
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WuZaBuG wrote:
Just thought I'd post a link to Photobucket where you can see more pics of my Shala(ko)

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b25/WuZaBuG/Shal...edia=image

Can't get on, don't have a password Wink

"My pappy said son, you worthless hippy, you shameless drug fiend, you no good alcoholic, you commie punk, you gonna drive me to drinking if you dont stop driving that hot rod lincoln"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kubel Nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=322514
Keith Dean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Shalako conception Reply with quote

The original car, the Shalako, was designed to be raced at the first Baja 1000. My dad was out of work, goofing around the house, he ran across a GT Forty model he had bought for my brother. Using the things he learned at art school. He crafted the model parts and clay into a race car bodied dune buggy. The concept car original had the spare tire sunken into the roof, above the engine. I wish I still had that model. He keep it for along time. But time decaded it, and it was discarded.
Sincerely, Keith Dean
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you decide to stop in more often, kid.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Keith Dean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: What about the Enduro? Reply with quote

Does anyone remember the Enduro? Probably the last of the Shalako series. It was a off-road buggy. Tube chassie that was designed by racing Ascot raceway in Calif.
I remember how strong it was. My dad took me to "Motorcycle Hill" to a hill that looked to me to be straight up. Well, we almost made it, rolled all the way down. My dad said, "Bet you never did that before"
If anyone has an Enduro, let me know, I'm interested.
Joe G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there ever an instruction manual to go with the Shalako? If so does anyone have a copy for sale or know if it's on the net someplace?
Cheers
Joe
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dennis5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Shalko Reply with quote

We have a NOS Shalko kit complete in silver metalflake, its going to be this winters project, custom tube frame already built. Powerplant is going to be Sabaru, will post pictures when its started. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fuoriserie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread and love the Shalako design..

Just wondered, why nobody hasn't thought of a new design update...?, it would make a great replacement body for a Vw pan, or a custom built chassis.
Joe G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is the literature still avaliable? I've mailed will-g with no luck Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
will-g
Samba Shalako Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Will Get all the Brochures and Manuals Scanned again, the problem is my Brochure and manual collection is on the other side of the country from where i am at (better than 6 months ago, then it was on the other side of the world!)

Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...I grew up on Long Island (Still here) - an old friend used to get driven to elementary school in his dad's dune buggies back in the 70's. Hia pop had a VW shop and built buggies for folks as a side gig. For years he had a Shalako, unbuilt, kit sitting in tall grass in his yard - they NEVER built it and they still had it into the late 90's - last I heard they tossed it out! My buddy cut off all ties to old friends so I can't even check to see the exact story - anyone on here ever hear of an unbuilt kit coming out of LI in the late 90's?

Since I first saw that one I have wanted a Shalako...I currently have a Sterling GT ( http://mysite.verizon.net/vzerfjzz/ )but the dream lives on for a Shalako - thanks for starting this little space to get the low-down!

Incidently - though he never built the kit he did build the Roswell Rod (www.spritzbyfritz.com) and did the flame work on one of my motorcycles - real gifted guy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kelroy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bds- That body is a Berry Mini T 4 Like my avatar.
empiimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Shala-vet in Deathrace 2000 Reply with quote

Viv1 wrote:
The car in Deathrace 2000 is indeed a Shala-vet. Dick Dean called it "Gator's car". The picture of the red and gold Shala-vet on the trailer that Will posted looks like the one that Dick Dean e-mailed me. The picture shows the fabrication of Gator's car

I just came across this thread while researching the Shalako for the Buggy Id . Putting 2 and 2 together, I realized I'd seen "Gator's Car" at the 2007 FunFest at Mid-America. Check out the photo:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I hope they have it on display again this year. I'll pay a lot more attention to it realizing its not a modified vet.

Paul...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
race454
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: shalako for sale this weekend at the Pittsburgh PA VW show Reply with quote

There was a shalako for sale this past weekend at the Pittsburgh PA VW show. in blue ran good, I know I took a picture of it.

Dave

Sterling Sports Cars LLC
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...back in January of '08 I did a post to this thread about the Shalako and my interest in the kit...and here we are in October and a Shalako is now in my drive way!

In my previous thread I noted the one sitting at a friends house - that one was cut up about 5 years ago and thrown out...but...my new Shalako was, actually, worked on by that same guy...talk about coming full circle - here are some shots.

Arriving at my home:

Next to my Sterling:

Temporary Lexan windows have already been cut and mounted - by this weekend I should have the Porche Grills and place them in the back as well as some "T" moulding for the windshiled and a rear bumper.

Now I just have to get it to run...LOL.

Any ideas on how to make the doors lock/stay closed? I was thinking a cam-lock - teo on each door in the lower corners but I don't think that will work now - any other ideas?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JackW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is so cool - I always thought that the Shalako was one of the three best looking buggies ever. Dick Dean and Dean Jeffries worked together on many projects including the cars for "Death Race 2000" and the Monkeemobile. I was saddened to hear of Dick Dean's passing several weeks ago. I just bought a Jeffries Kyote last weekend and I think that searching out and preserving some of the work of these very talented men is a nice tribute to them. Keep posting pics of your project - and congratulations on snagging one of the coolest buggies ever.
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear Grills went in today. For those that do not know they are out of a Porsche 356 originally produced from 1956 through 63 (I think) many of the parts are being repro'd today...like the grills:

Boy I like the way those look - The original holes were not cut large enough which allowed me to trim them very sparingly so that I could fit the grills in very tightly (IE: Used a rubber mallet to tap them into place)and...just to be sure they wouldn't vibrate out on the Pkwy... I fashioned some "L" brackets to press from the inside.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: