Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
richdean2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Wow! Been some activity since I last checked in!

I've got a few pics to share, but I always seem to have issues uploading. If you see some pics attached - great! If not, oh well....I'll try again.

BUT - some answers and observations and maybe a question:

Letterman! The ebay link you posted about the ShalaVet in San Diego...I think Keith ended up buying that one. Also, the car in the "Haggle Me" link...cute car, but NOT a ShalaVet. In fact, that's a really nice car, but you can see that the rear is too short. So, based off the 'Vet...you can see the styling similarities...but not one of my Dad's cars.

Dont Bug me - I have the same question as Manxdude: Didn't understand the reference....

Moving on.

SuicDRn - That is a SUPER nice ShalaVet! Do you have more info on that car?
JeffH355 - I'm really surprised I never saw you cruising around West Covina in that Shala....In '76 we were living in Hacienda Heights, then moved to Whittier in '77. Really cool that it was your daily driver!
ManxVW - you've got a pretty nice start there on your ShalaVet. Give Keith a call for any information you need to complete it.
McLela - that car may have started as one of my Dads...but he never put a top or windshield like that on any of his. Interesting look, though.
ChezShay - That one looks like it WAS one of Dad's long-nose Shalakos....but he wouldn't have done all those vents. Interesting find!
And to Bio Bug - Great build! Glad you had so much fun off-roading your car. However, I'm in the same boat as you as far as registration....I think the person at the DMV really tried (amazing for DMV, right?) but I can foresee having the same issues with my car. I've got all kinds of info available to me to show "provenance", if you will....I hope they accept that. I guess we'll see!

Great catching up with you all! Love to see the builds. I'm amazed to see how many Shalas and ShalaVets are still out there! Glad to see people trying to get them back on the street!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Mr. Dean! I love your car! Very Happy
I finally worked up the courage to go back to DMV with the title sent to me and try for plates. To my surprise it was no problem. On the title for make they had "Dura". I have no idea what that is but it didn't say "Dune" like the first time and I walked out with plates and was assured I would not get another letter requesting plates back. I put my shotgun and revolver in the back seat and left smiling. ( Well , I did leave smiling)
Now I intend to prep and paint her and probably sell her. Crying or Very sad After my back surgery 2 months ago I decided a VW based rig does not ride as well as I remembered 50 years ago.
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

I got started prepping the Shalako for paint. The rear cowl has "sagged" in the middle so I added 3 supports to shore it up. I should have it in primer and ready for the 2 stage urethane by next week.(Depending on the heat index).

biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

I squirted the paint on this morning and letting the sun bake it this afternoon. I am happy with the colors. They POP in the sunshine.

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Candy red over silver?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

It is actually "Graphite Gray Metallic" with "Firemist Red Metallic" and 4 coats of clear on top.
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Getting her put back together and fabricating a few finishing touches. This is the fun part. Very Happy

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Ah... I thought the rear louver portion was going to be painted red as well, hence my candy question. Looks great though! I'd be tempted to squirt the wheel recesses with the graphite grey as well... then put redline tires on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

ShalaVet molds on fleabay, along with other kit molds: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replica-Kit-Makes-Fibergla...2215785638
richdean2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Looks great, BioBug!
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. Dean!
Now if I could find some gull wing doors.....
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Well, I am going to insure it so I can enjoy it a little before I sell it. I listed on Samba reluctantly but after getting in to put the windshield mounts back on. I felt like a beached whale! After about 10 minutes of squirming around I got back out. That is enough. A few simple things could make it as new. I will leave that to the new owner. Sad

Somehow I missed the supports being glassed in
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Yep, they are tight. I would have thought you would have tried that before sinking money into a restoration.
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

My head was by the peddles and feet were over the back cowl putting the windshield mounts back on. Driving it is fine when I am not upside down. I drove it 900 miles with a herniated disc early this year with no problems.
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Finally got her done . I am waiting on my insurance agent again so I can test everything. I got it aligned and went thru everything checking for loose bolts and anything else.

biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

I ended up painting the wheels as suggested, and added new side mirrors and wind wings. Now I hope to sell her. By high and sell cheap is my motto. Sad

manxvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Haven't updated progress for a while. I have the ShalaVet up and running, its almost done. A few bugs to work out and then decide whether to paint or wrap it.

richdean2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

manxvw, your ShalaVet looks AWESOME!
manxvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Thanks Richdean2. I recently picked up this shalako, not sure how I keep stumbling on these great cars by Dick Dean.
biobug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Man, I would like to buy the doors!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: