Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Here is one where the seller is indicating it has a link to the designer:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/6088890741.html
manxvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

I have finally finished the Shalavet.It took about 3 years off and on to complete.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave the Pole-sitter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Has anyone yet to find one of the long nosed original Shalako "Shala Sport GT's"

I see plenty of the snub noses, but none of the long....with the exception of the one with a bunch of louvers , which someone made to kinda' look like the GT.

I also had a model of the SNUB-nose once... I wish I could have gotten a GT model version... but I don't think they were made … just the buggy style .
maybe by AMC or AMT ????

* Just a note:
>>> "I NOW OWN 'PATRICK CAKEBREADS' ' FIBERFAB AVENGER GT-12" <<< You Tube.. > Patrick cakebreads AVENGER < to see

Plan on doing it up in GULF LIVERY.

Went to Fargo, ND just before eclipse and picked it up and brought it back to Weeki Wachee, FLA. ...Timed it so I could see eclipse on the way.

Till next post............
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

To answer the Shalako question, yes, there was one for sale somewhere in the southeast a couple years ago. It was an unsubstantiated build from Dean and it looked pretty hacked up, but it was definitely a long nose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Yup - As Rick said - there was one posted on Craigs - I remember it as it was just after I got married (effectively putting me out of the kit hobby Sad ) It was Summer of 2011. Pretty sure that was the one and only one (Same as in the photo with Dicks wife posing). It was only listed for $3,000. I would've grabbed it in a second in my "previous" life. Still smartiung over not grabbing it.

http://www.stevemorrissilverstein.com/#!resume/c1627
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richdean2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

manxvw, your ShalaVet looks absolutely stunning! I hope Keith has seen it....I think he'd really like it, too.

Great job and I hope you have lots of fun with it!
Yessong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Check out this video featuring the "Breadvan". It's that car leading the pack. Especially from the back...this could've been a neat way to go with further development of the Shalako:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BKdtoU_S_E

http://www.stevemorrissilverstein.com/#!resume/c1627
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PorscheTargaFreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

I have some Shalako history in my family. When I was a kid my dad bought what had to be one of the prototype Shalakos in San Diego. This was in the mid 1970's. It was not finished but was a roller. It had steel gull wing doors, steel frame, non-vw pan, dual side pod gas tanks, and a roll bar. So it had VW suspension but the rest of the chassis was custom. The interior was super nice and tan colored. I recall it having slot mags and BFG red line tires. When we got it someone had cut out the center of the front hood and were fabricating some pop up headlights out of stainless steel.
If it still exists it would be different from the rest as he filled the hole in the hood and molded the headlights into the top of the fenders. He painted it gold. It had a Monza exhaust that he cut the tips and rotated them up and out. It was a lot more than a kit car. Very solid and a blast to ride in.
About 10 years ago he found a kit and completed it. It was all fiberglass. Someone on this thread posted a picture of it in blue with a white center stripe and chrome rims. That car is currently for sale in the Atlanta area.

The prototype was sold for $1,600 in the early 80's in Diamond Bar, CA. I was just 10 but remember the price! I would love to know what happened to it if anyone knows.

Maybe this will help fill in some blanks in the history of these cars.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Here's a Shalako racing at El Mirage in the 70's with Porsche power. Clocked at around 87mph if I remember right. A record that stood for 30 years.

brad
rbucklin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Very cool, like it a lot. Was it intended as a buggy or more a kit car for street use, ala the Puma and other bodies of that ilk?
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Possible sshovel-nose in north Jersey, for sale on FB: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2325735374382398/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manx guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Just picked up s Shalako projec. Second one I've owned in my life. First one I didn't finish and ended up selling
This time it will be a recreation of the original Dick Dean white Shalako. Can't wait to get started

Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Wow - looks completely unmolested. Nice find!
Wabalooba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Hello Ladies and Gents,
Made my way through the forum here and looked at the many builds, all exciting stuff giving me great ideas - so glad this thread exists.

Just purchased this beauty from a collector in WI, single owner with paperwork and vintage original photos. Was almost never driven with only 240 miles on the clock.
1967 VW base, 1971 AE 1600cc motor, 4 speed manual (original 1980 Goodyear's!)

Very excited to start a restore and will update here. From reading it does not seem that many of these were made so very excited to have it.

Photos below - Cheers!

Clantron2135
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum, and to be frank, I am here to ask the opinion of the experts on my Shala Vette. My father purchased this car about 5 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it until he passed away about a year ago. I intended on keeping it as it was his "baby", but it isn't exactly a car that I can enjoy with my 1year old son.

Although I really enjoy this car, I need to part with it. I may resort to selling it locally or on an auction site, but given the rarity, there are few people that will recognize this as anything other than a "kit car", I thought I should let you all know that it is going to be for sale.

The car spent its life in southern California until 2013, and then it was purchased by a gentleman in New Jersey. The car was running when he bought it, and did some cosmetic work to it (paint, interior, clear coat). My father purchased it in 2015, and spent considerable time getting the car to its current state. It runs and drives great!

I am in no hurry to sell it, but really want to find someone that knows what it it is and can appreciate it for what it is. I would really appreciate any feedback about the car, and where/how I should go about finding the next owner of this car. I really do NOT want to sell it on craigslist to someone that wants a "poor man's corvette"...

Thanks in advance!

ramok32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Hi all, just purchased and pulled home a new toy. It's a Shala-vette on a '66 vw pan. It appears to be quite complete minus a speedometer and gauges. Looking forward to restoring this car and having fun with it. I'll likely go with the original burnt orange metal flake. Thought you all would be interested that another one of these has surfaced having sat outside in an alley in a very small village in north central Missouri for a few years. I have to say that I am impressed with the completeness of the kit... the panels that cover the wiring under the front hood and the way the dash is well designed and provides a complete look. I have seen a few pics of other 'Shala-like' cars and the edges are not finished and they seem like more of a 'shell' than a complete car. This one is missing the top/ hardware. I will likely have to fabricate.
[/img]

Mug Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Official Shalako/ Shala Thread Reply with quote

Just having fun back in 1976
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: