Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A question,,,,,NOT VW related.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: A question,,,,,NOT VW related. Reply with quote

Hi All, my daughter was recently given a car by her mother, it is a 1987 Mercedes Benz 190 E and the question I have is how do you open the fuel filler door so's you can put gas into it? Previous owner is looong gone so I cant ask them, I figured that we have a pretty diverse crosssection of automotive tastes here and that somebody might know,, thank you for your help,,,Peace,,, Moosie Blue Bus Red 181
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fuel door is actually locked via a circuit on the ignition switch. Most of them don't work any more, but yours might.

Turn key to "acc" and see if the fuel door will then push open.

The other weak link is the vacuum operated door locks. None of those work right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never own a Benz, but did you check in the glove box for a button or on the floor by the drivers door?
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a german car I'll bet there is a fail safe mechanism in case something is broken if you look behind the carpet in the trunk. I think that you have to have all the doors unlocked to open the tank.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife called me from the gas station with the same question just after she purchased her first Mercedes. It turns out that hers was unlocked but she didn't understand that she had to push on the front edge of the fuel door to open it.

Unlike the Japanese cars, most German car fuel doors don't "pop" open when you pull a lever. The fuel doors usually lock when the doors are locked and unlock when they are unlocked. Some cars fuel doors remain locked if just the drivers door is unlocked but the rest are locked. Unlocking all of the doors unlocks the fuel door. After it's unlocked, it must be pushed open as described above.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, And thank you all for the tips and ideas,, it turns out that Randy in Maine & loogy were spot on in there info,,,besides that my son piped up that maybe it works like his Jetta does. maybe I shoulda asked him first. Thank you all again,,,Peace,,,Moosie Blue Bus Red 181
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Phil G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if the vacuum pot that unlocks the lid fails, those are cheap and easy to fix. It will be located behind the lid in the body, accessible from the trunk. Here you can manually actuate the link rod attaching the pot to the latch mechanism in order to unlock the door. If the car has it’s owners manual, all this is explained as well as how you can manually close an inoperative sunroof.

We'll turn this into a Mercedes forum yet! Laughing
SlowLane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil G wrote:
We'll turn this into a Mercedes forum yet! Laughing

Anyone ever put a MB engine into a Vanagon? Razz
'72 Super Beetle
'69 Camper Van - Corvair powered
'71 Window Van - Transferred Corvair from '69

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine." - Internet RFC 1925

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance." - Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP IT! It is bad enough that some MB wheels fit the Vanagon. There are a few quite good, no great, MB forums. I visit mercedesshop.com to find out about such youngtimers as a W201 (190.) (We have 2 in the family.)

My current Mercedes project is a 1959 190SL http://www2.190slgroup.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=27427 which has been sharing my spare car time with my Westy. Come visit http://www.190SLGroup.com to see just how nutty another group is about one particular model of Mercedes.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: