Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Grey Primer / Paint color used on Bus chassis and cargo area
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Grey Primer / Paint color used on Bus chassis and cargo area Reply with quote

Looking to repaint/primer the rear of my Kombi anyone have a correct color code or matching primer color for the rear of a kombi?
busracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got mine color matched and then had a matting agent added when it was mixed. the primer can vary ...look very different in different buses. ive seen some goofy looking greys in commercial buses applied by owners and it just looks wierd...either too glossy or the color waaay off. ppg epoxy primer in grey has the perfect sheen but is a little too blue looking for me. the plus is its super tough.
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not doing 100 point resto, but want it to look nice overall, thanks for the info on the .ppg I need to buy some epoxy anyway.
Macca_nzl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about micro's.

Does the inside colour match the outside colour/colours?

I'm doing my bus PGSG need to know what the interior should be?

Mac

wanted - Blade from ambo fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skywave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've matched this color in the past for a few projects. You can just shoot a primer but it won't be as well protected and you can't choose the color. I ordered the paint in semi gloss to match the matte finish of the original paint.

These photos are for an ambulance fan I restored. Being a retard I thought I'd go through the trouble to paint the back side in the proper grey even though no one will ever see it. But fortunately I can sleep at nights now knowing it’s the right color underneath.

This grey will match a majority of the matt grey colors used without having to match every single one. It’s an off the shelf color and can be made ay any paint store. I thoroughly went through the book and held this color to the back of this fan and then took it out to the bus and compared it against the inside cargo door and front splash pan. All three pieces appeared to be slightly different shades believe it or not. While not dead ringer for all three this color is by far the closest of any others without having each part sampled and ordering separate paints for everything. Dar is a single stage paint, make sure and get it in semi gloss and then let ‘er rip! Good luck!

PPG Delstar DAR-33127

(note that the ambient lighting throws the hue off in some of these photos)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who did a close as possible to original restoration, what paint did you use on your bus frame/chasis?

What about an original paint code for a kombi interior or chasis? wouuld it be L29? Thanks

Air Riders, VW Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jayres12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the first time I've used this site. What an asset! Thank you guys for the good information.
Jim
ol36er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macca_nzl wrote:
What about micro's.

Does the inside colour match the outside colour/colours?

I'm doing my bus PGSG need to know what the interior should be?

Mac

The whole bus is painted the sand green color first then top half painted palm green, with obvious PG overspray. Not sure about underbelly, prob.
primer.
Here's a few examples

Battery tray

pass.side

wheelwell

wheelwell

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the PPG Delstar DAR-33127 the same as L29 ?

Anyone know if this other color next to the cargo gray on my '59 split is anything other than a PO repaint?? (The bus was originally a mango green/seagull grey if it matters.)

Before I sand it off, I want to make sure it's not a stock interior color. Appreciate it...

Here is another look showing the color...

Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I painted the underbody, wheel wells, body, and interior of my 1958 walk-thru camper using Nason grey epoxy primer (the body, engine compartment, and cab will be painted dove blue). The underbody looks awesome and if you spray on two coats of the epoxy primer, it will seal out moisture.
For my 1963 walk-thru camper, I sprayed Omni grey epoxy primer over the whole bus (over the polyester primer filler), then painted it dove blue, leaving the cargo area grey.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Gallagher wrote:

Anyone know if this other color next to the cargo gray on my '59 split is anything other than a PO repaint?? (The bus was originally a mango green/seagull grey if it matters.)

Before I sand it off, I want to make sure it's not a stock interior color. Appreciate it...

sean,
yes, that looks like the og brown that was brushed on at westfalia when the kit was installed. westfalia applied it to some buses with the interior installed and in some with it not installed. appears your bus has had it applied with the interior not having been installed. are you doing a complete resto? if you are you want to re-apply it with a brush for the right look. if it were my bus i would buff it out lightly and wax to leave og.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
SixVolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
Sean Gallagher wrote:

sean,
yes, that looks like the og brown that was brushed on at westfalia when the kit was installed. westfalia applied it to some buses with the interior installed and in some with it not installed. appears your bus has had it applied with the interior not having been installed. are you doing a complete resto? if you are you want to re-apply it with a brush for the right look. if it were my bus i would buff it out lightly and wax to leave og.

I greatly appreciate that info. Yes, its become a complete resto. I ask because I don't want to screw it up by removing something that really shouldn't be removed. The "brown" is in good enough shape that I can clean it and buff it out. That will be my approach. When I get the welding done I will want to repaint portions of the grey.

Is that PPG code above the right grey? Is it L-21? In the event I need to touch up that "brown", do you know a color code? (I can always take a door in for a color match if necesssary.)

I greatly appreciate those with early bus knowledge sharing info.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the L-21,pearl grey, i think is an exterior color code.
the general consensus on the primer gray is that it varied in hue over the years and there is not 1 set color that is correct for all buses. best bet is to take a door in to have matched. the og primer seems to be more of a semi-gloss.
glad to here you will be preserving the og westy brown, and that it's in nice shape. if you need to touch up any of the brown, having it color matched would be your best bet. if anyone has had this done and has a color code they want to share that would be helpful.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
gonzee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painting my double door decided to paint body dove blue and cargo area grey. Does anyone have pics of where the colors change from grey to blue on bulk head.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From another thread
glideking wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7582640&highlight=#7582640

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Grey Primer / Paint color used on Bus chassis and cargo area Reply with quote

Another recent post
galexander wrote:
Here's the grey color I came up with for the rear of Kombis:
used to be PPG Delstar 33127
Only available now as DCC 33127
Use a flattening agent to make it matte.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Grey Primer / Paint color used on Bus chassis and cargo area Reply with quote

I thought I'd add this here as a reference. My truck spent the first 50-odd years in California and is very dry underneath. I took the heater wrap off at the weekend to clean it and inspect the heater tube. It's a bit dusty from the crud that came off the heat wrap as I removed it (I haven't wiped it clean yet), but I'm pretty sure this is the original finish. It's a bronze colour and has a smooth satin finish. The underside of the cab floor is a similar colour. This stuff doesn't react to phosphoric acid. It is not surface rust. The truck was built in October '56.

Would it benefit anyone if I took some better pictures after cleaning the dust off and posted them here?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Grey Primer / Paint color used on Bus chassis and cargo area Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
It's a bit dusty from the crud that came off the heat wrap as I removed it (I haven't wiped it clean yet), but I'm pretty sure this is the original finish. It's a bronze colour and has a smooth satin finish. The underside of the cab floor is a similar colour. This stuff doesn't react to phosphoric acid. It is not surface rust. The truck was built in October '56.

Our MAR62 built SO-34 has same finish inside the body. Had to cut out the crushed upper driver "A" pillar to find this:

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Grey Primer / Paint color used on Bus chassis and cargo area Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Our MAR62 built SO-34 has same finish inside the body. Had to cut out the crushed upper driver "A" pillar to find this:

I figured it must be the colour of the anti-corrosion coating that VW dipped vehicles in before painting and that would make sense if it's found inside body cavities, but I thought the coating was Zinc Phosphate? I'd expect Zinc Phosphate to be grey or black not bronze like this, so I'm not sure what they used?

I'd also expected that if they'd primered the underside, they'd have sprayed the heater tube too, or at least that there would be evidence of overspray from the primer, but there is no evidence of any on the heater tube.

Did VW prime the underside of Type 2s from day one, or was that introduced later? Progressive refinements says that the underside was 'additionally painted' from 20th June 1958* and chassis 366949. Do they mean 'primed' rather than painted (i.e. primer introduced in June '58 )?

The treasure chest of my truck is painted/primered a sort of grey/beige. It's an obvious colour. I figured the primer must have worn/rusted off of the underside and frame, but the more I look, the more it looks like there never was any primer.

The rear U-cradle is body colour, but nothing else under there seems to have any paint/primer.

*Typo corrected Very Happy

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786

Last edited by Who.Me? on Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Grey Primer / Paint color used on Bus chassis and cargo area Reply with quote

You have a typo of "20th June 1985". Laughing

The word "paint" is both a noun and verb.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/paint

So a primer is still painted onto a surface. Plus the grey "primer" used by VW does seem to be more of a primer & paint in one.

Your normal cheap primer is porous kinds of like newspaper, so it needs to be painted over or water passes right thru it causing the steel to form rust very quickly in just days. That type of primer was designed to cling well to metal and at same time give paint over it something to cling to much better than bare metal. Which otherwise it would easily peel off from metal without a primer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: