Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

parts hoarding
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: parts hoarding Reply with quote

a few years ago, I was putting a split case tranny into a bus and I could not find a forward mount, even though I knew I had a couple. since then, I have picked up the mounts every time I find them (for dirt cheap of free). I was digging through some parts last week and I found that I had eight of them. I wasn't really trying to corner the market on them or anything, and I would sell them if anyone needed one, but I don't think that there is much of a demand for these stupid little things.

anyway, I was wondering what stupid little parts everyone is hoarding?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and that is about 6 dozen M-code plates in the background, another stupid thing that I hoard.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas caps, If it got a vw emblem on it and it cheap, I'll pick them up

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Macca_nzl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedo's I have about 50 of them, Don't know how i ended up with so many, Just pick them up at swapmeets cheap.

Mac

wanted - Blade from ambo fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spark plugs. I always buy extra, and I can't seem to throw any away. I don't know why. I probably have a couple dozen.

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikee wrote:

do you have one of the "kombi" gas caps? it took me years to find one of those. (they are later replacement units as far as I know)
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Mikee wrote:

do you have one of the "kombi" gas caps?

Whats a kombi gas cap, and why is there a difference(unless you are just f-ing with me)

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikee wrote:
Lind wrote:
Mikee wrote:
do you have one of the "kombi" gas caps?
Whats a kombi gas cap, and why is there a difference(unless you are just f-ing with me)

they have a small vw emblem and the word "kombi" on it. they are 60mm and they fit onto buses and perhaps late beetles. I think that they are brasillian replacement units. they are uncommon, but they are not really valuable. I think I paid $5 for mine. I will take a pic for you next time I am at my shop.

here is a pic from the gallery, "kombi" is in the shaddow, and just barely visible.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/233436.jpg

Last edited by Lind on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think i do, I would hae to look at them, next time i fly to seattle i will check them out

bugnut68 wrote:
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they were brazillian and not so rare.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:

You are right. They are Brazilian and there was a huge number of those in circulation several years back. At least one of the major LA shops got ahold of a huge number of them and they were selling them at Pomona and shows pretty cheap. I want to say that there were also some that were locking even but I can't recall for sure.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
crofty wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/259566.jpg

You are right. They are Brazilian and there was a huge number of those in circulation several years back. At least one of the major LA shops got ahold of a huge number of them and they were selling them at Pomona and shows pretty cheap. I want to say that there were also some that were locking even but I can't recall for sure.

I hardly ever see them for sale at shows, but I don't go to pomona.
not rare or valuable, but I think that they are pretty cool. I still haven't bought a kombi to put mine on.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit, you've got a collection of those!

I horde Gas caps, church keys.....tent mounting brackets....
CoBro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts hoarding is a necessary evil since there are so few aircooled VW salvage yards around.
Whole vehicle hoarding is very bad and sometimes whole cars end up getting crushed because guys with 15 busses in their front yard are breaking the law.
spkncarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: parts hoarding Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
a few years ago, I was putting a split case tranny into a bus and I could not find a forward mount, even though I knew I had a couple. since then, I have picked up the mounts every time I find them (for dirt cheap of free). I was digging through some parts last week and I found that I had eight of them. I wasn't really trying to corner the market on them or anything, and I would sell them if anyone needed one, but I don't think that there is much of a demand for these stupid little things.

anyway, I was wondering what stupid little parts everyone is hoarding?

and that is about 6 dozen M-code plates in the background, another stupid thing that I hoard.

Nothing! Laughing

I don't hoard.... Wink
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: parts hoarding Reply with quote

spkncarl wrote:
Lind wrote:
what stupid little parts everyone is hoarding?
Nothing! Laughing

I don't hoard.... Wink

feel lucky that you don't have the sickness. you are probably one of those guys who only has one bus. (more than one is a collection, more than six is a fleet. guess which catergory I fit into....) LOL
spkncarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: parts hoarding Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
spkncarl wrote:
Lind wrote:
what stupid little parts everyone is hoarding?
Nothing! Laughing

I don't hoard.... Wink

feel lucky that you don't have the sickness. you are probably one of those guys who only has one bus. (more than one is a collection, more than six is a fleet. guess which catergory I fit into....) LOL

Well I'm very new to this scene...so give me a few and we'll see what I come up with... Wink

As far as the collection...we got 2 bugs and 1 bus in a matter of 2 months... Laughing
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been hoarding the split case tranny front mounts ever since my '54 Single Cab one was missing and I couldn't find one.

I have a few of them. Correct bolts too whenever possible!

There are certain $1-$5 things I will buy at every swap meet if I see them but not to hoard, it's to email people that keep asking for them.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Flipseat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if its really hoarding or not, but lately (since I got my own shop) I've been buying things in bulk. 20 main seals, a dozen nos muffler install kits, gasket kits, tune up parts, fluids, hardware, etc. I also have a tendency to buy factory tools that I'll never use, along with ones that I do of course. If i hoard anything, its 15" rims. I even have a couple nos ones.
Rescue912
Ferdinand Sanford

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.7L 914 engines. Don't ask me how but I have 5 of them in the barn now and all but one was given to me. Those things multiply like rabbits...
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo, it will be your barns in 20 years where I will find my parts!

I have a friend who has 22 buses in a fenced in yard 4 - 8 barn doors.

I have begged, bribed, and blackmailed the guy to let just one go, but he won't.

I have been to his house, stacks of newspapers floor to ceiling, 20 or so potbelly stoves.

This is OCD. He is a horder in the classic sense. I have been half thinking of bringing him a cup of coffee everyday with medication in it, so maybe at some point, he would spin one loose. I could also loosen the seals in his overhead lift...

Any thoughts on approaching a horder?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: