Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Let's see pics of your dogs in your van
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

Willow has discovered the fridge behind the passenger seat is a great perch for looking out the sliding door window, even with the curtains closed. I have to keep my eye on the fridge though, because she keeps stepping on the off button. Beware of dog, indeed!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

Vanlife Geek wrote:
Willow has discovered the fridge behind the passenger seat is a great perch for looking out the sliding door window, even with the curtains closed. I have to keep my eye on the fridge though, because she keeps stepping on the off button. Beware of dog, indeed!

Love your sweet dog! I think you've got a winner!
....But I'm kind of partial.

Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

deadaheadub wrote:
Vanlife Geek wrote:

They're cousins! It's interesting to see another one with similar colorations. Most I've seen are either the blueish or reddish colors. Ours have more of a brown coloration. I'm new to the breed, so what do I know. Yours looks like a great dog and ready for adventure, but I too am now kind of partial. Even though I've only had Willow for less than two weeks, we have really bonded and I think she's going to be a great dog. Her personality is really coming out and she's quite the character.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

Vanlife Geek wrote:
deadaheadub wrote:
Vanlife Geek wrote:

They're cousins! It's interesting to see another one with similar colorations. Most I've seen are either the blueish or reddish colors. Ours have more of a brown coloration. I'm new to the breed, so what do I know. Yours looks like a great dog and ready for adventure, but I too am now kind of partial. Even though I've only had Willow for less than two weeks, we have really bonded and I think she's going to be a great dog. Her personality is really coming out and she's quite the character.

They're really smart so their personalities are strong and unique, I think. Thus, they really are their own individuals, and they develop a strong bond with their people. This is my second cattle dog/red heeler. They are great companions.
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Hounddogs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

We specifically got an automatic so Brando the Havanese can drive.

‘83 Westfalia (Sold)
‘81 Westfalia (Burned up on the side of the freeway in 1986)
andy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

morning prework kit
van+dog+coffee

dlosey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

The girls keeping watch while waiting to see the vet!

WedgeAntillies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

This is Marty the Wheaten. He loves going for rides in the van.

RichieS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBreeze wrote:
In Vanagon:

Ok, I think you get the point Smile

Gotta love those pugs. They're so low maintenance, I call them wash and wear dogs. And why have just one?

Richie (Near The Burgh)
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

Aleijae, always ready to go; not going to let me leave without her.

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

So thirteen months ago, Obi joined the family - from 2 lbs to 16 lb and a colour change to Irish Setter red. Life is like a box of chocolates..... He remains anxious to get back on the road as do we.

At eight weeks old:

At 15 months:

pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

We took our 11-month old puppy on her first camping trip, which I have to call it a success: the camping portion was great (she loved everything about being outdoors), but the traveling wasn't so great (she gets very anxious inside the van). Any tips on how to improve the traveling portion is greatly appreciated.

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

pnw, does your AC unit have a plenum in the front? I am noticing that tube/rail/vent on the left side. Or is that only a heating vent?
T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
. Any tips on how to improve the traveling portion is greatly appreciated.

Do not try to calm her down with talking or hugging. Just ignore her if she is anxious, be cool, show her everything is alright, no need to worry.
tomkat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
We took our 11-month old puppy on her first camping trip, which I have to call it a success: the camping portion was great (she loved everything about being outdoors), but the traveling wasn't so great (she gets very anxious inside the van). Any tips on how to improve the traveling portion is greatly appreciated.

We’ve used Thundershirts (take the time to train/use properly). Calming aids do seem to help....as does exercise before a long drive.

90 Bordeaux (Wine Wagon) Syncro Westy
87 Flash Silver (Silver Slug) Syncro Westy (1996-2011)
86 Bronze Beige Metallic Westy (Tourist Delivery - 1996)
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
pnw, does your AC unit have a plenum in the front? I am noticing that tube/rail/vent on the left side. Or is that only a heating vent?

The westy only has the rear unit. It looks like the front of it has been removed. No plenum goes up front.

That channel on the left is fresh air from the front. Lowest control of the four slider controls on the dash.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips on improving her anxiety, I think the more we take her out on the van, the more she'll get used to (van was not in a drivable condition for most of the winter, so we missed the early training period).

Regarding the AC plenum question, the van has a (working) rear AC, but removing the AC plenum greatly improves the air circulation (did that like 5-6 yrs ago and never looked back).

Removing the AC plenum leaves a groove in the front of the cabinet where the plenum sits, so I re-laminated the front to make it look nicer (just need to print a new grill for the front).

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:

Show her the Subaru dogs driving the cars, but be prepared to give her the keys!

Has she got a window for her nose to smell the world? Or let her ride with an experienced "car dog" to show her it's okay to be in a car.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's see pics of your dogs in your van Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
Thanks for the tips on improving her anxiety, I think the more we take her out on the van, the more she'll get used to (van was not in a drivable condition for most of the winter, so we missed the early training period).

Perhaps. However, some dogs just don't like being in a car, truck or van.

Our previous dog loved riding -- even loved waiting in the car. Obviously, the latter was under proper conditions.

Our current dog was extremely frantic when driving him home from his foster home when we adopted him. It took him weeks just to learn how to lean and brace. He loves to go on rides now but that's because he knows most of the time we're going to a trail, a school ground, a park, etc. That said, he is constantly between the front seats of our dog car, or on the passenger seat, or on the back seat, and wherever he is, he's not staying there for very long.

He is typically much better on return trips when he's gotten his exercise. He's constantly turning in Sinka to get to the nonexistent back seat. He's no longer frantic but he is hyper.

We have some trips planned this summer including our annual vacation to OBX six hours from home. We are going to try this:

https://www.chewy.com/zesty-paws-calming-bites-stress/dp/171018

Also getting mostly good reviews is this:

https://www.chewy.com/pethonesty-hemp-calming-anxiety/dp/190523

We didn't opt for the latter because the natural chicken flavor is derived from chicken liver and another chicken organ, and that's a huge no-no for Dalmatians.

Sorry I don't have a review of my own yet. But overall, practice, practice, practice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 41 of 47

Jump to: