Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bammboo tray for type 3
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Bammboo tray for type 3 Reply with quote

Guess what!!!
I just got my bammboo tray for my fast back today from mid america moters. Its cool but, It came with two "L" brackets w/ no screws or directions. How do you put this on? The brakets dont even have holes in them.
I called them and asked how to put it on and they had no idea and they said they dont give out directions Mad . NICE!!!! THE PLACE I GET IT HAS NO IDEA. I DONT THINK I WOULD BY AN ENG FROM THEM!
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the brackets with self tapping screws. Drilled a small hole through them. Put the tray over the brackets, and zip tied the tray onto the brckets. That way you don't see any of the hardware. I did it on a type 1, but the application should be fairly similar. hector

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be carefule drilling through the carpet!!!! If the scre snags the carpet it will make an unwravel line big time. The top of the tray should hit the bottom of your steering tube. Level it from there. Put the brackets on the left and right sides for support. It is a figure it out kinda deal with these aftermarket deals. Good luck take it slow.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful you dont put a screw into a wire harness on the lefthand side.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmynotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Be careful you dont put a screw into a wire harness on the lefthand side.

Ha! Did that about two years ago and eded up replacing the whole harness after a key-to-coil melt down and fire. A better way to mount your parcel tray is to use T-bolts and tension screws to hold it up.

my wonderful loving supportive wife wrote:
You guys are dorks.

1965 1500-S Notchback --"Maggy"
1971 Type 2 Double Cab --"George"
TOOB member #2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bustedtype2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thank you,, I will put it in today.
Now I have a better Idea. Stay cool. Hope to see all you at the Bakersfield show.
Paul
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have or can anyone take a pic of where they drilled their holes into the metal under the dash to mount one of these parcel trays? Just got one of these puppies for my T3 and although it did come with two metal brackets that wrap around the bamboo frame at its narrowest circular point, I'm just curious as to where you guys drilled your holes in the metal? I'm thinking about putting it about 10" forward from the doors near the wiring harness (on the drivers side), and an equivalent place on the passenger side. Good idea?
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyBoyGomes wrote:
Does anyone have or can anyone take a pic of where they drilled their holes into the metal under the dash to mount one of these parcel trays? Just got one of these puppies for my T3 and although it did come with two metal brackets that wrap around the bamboo frame at its narrowest circular point, I'm just curious as to where you guys drilled your holes in the metal? I'm thinking about putting it about 10" forward from the doors near the wiring harness (on the drivers side), and an equivalent place on the passenger side. Good idea?

no drilling in mine - tension screws at the four corners is all...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I just realized. I don't have a try in mine! Smile

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Damn, I just realized. I don't have a try in mine! Smile

you have one left, don't you?

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...can you tell me what pre-existing holes you put the tension screws into then blank? (it's usually at this point that I'm either missing something very obvious or that I don't have holes there)
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyBoyGomes wrote:
...can you tell me what pre-existing holes you put the tension screws into then blank? (it's usually at this point that I'm either missing something very obvious or that I don't have holes there)

you may not have the holes in yours, depending upon the manufacturerer; if they were there, you would have found them...

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, there aren't any holes on the tray itself. Airhead parts sent the "bamboo" (more like wicker) tray with 2 hose-clamp style brackets and two screws. The frame of the tray goes where the hose would be. On the clamp itself, there is a metal tab with a hole in it. It's through this hole that the screw goes and (I assume) screws into the metal framework behind the carpet.

So my question is, where on the metal framework beneath the dash do these screws screw into? Because I don't see any pre-existing holes in the metal.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to drill new holes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what I thought, does anyone have any pics of where they've drilled these?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd follow Notchboys's directions "see above". Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my standard parcel tray:
http://www.icbm.org/cmgallery/thumbnails.php?album=76
Dunno if it will help or not Confused

Okay, I can't contain myself...here's a public sneek-peek of a li'l something-something I've created, will be sold thru the DDB, and it will be on display tomorrow at the Cruise For The Cure. Just look for my baby and Martin's roadster (roofless air-ride):
http://www.icbm.org/cmgallery/thumbnails.php?album=79
P.S. The black one in Martin's ride is the revised version. Fits '67 thru '73 and requires no drilling or other damaging methods of fastening Wink

The First Invasion
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting! Congrats on your innovativeness...

Not to belittle your creation, but are you using the original holes under the dash to mount your modern stereo or did you have to drill new ones? Did you custom make the case that it fits into as well?
Air_Cooled_Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember on the stereo install, it was so long ago. My car originally belonged to my parents and Dear Ol' Dad had a CB in there at one time as well as a red emergency light (he was a volunteer fireman and EMT for a long time) to he put in holes where he needed to Embarassed

As for the "case" around the stereo...I had left over orange felt when I installed the headliner so I simply wrapped the stereo in it (with appropriate holes for ventilation). Same for the orange under the three gauges where the speaker grill used to be Wink
The First Invasion
onerase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah this thread is old as hell but I still dont know how to put mine in, it came with the two L brackets and a rubber ring (???), I can fit it in there, but is it secure just sitting on the brackets? I dont really want to zip tie it. And wtf is the rubber ring for? Its a total mystery to me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: