Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
baltik wrote:
Thanks for all of your help on this project btw, I ended up spending $180 for the remanufactured pair.

The custom brake line that you are using - do you happen to know the length? are you using banjo fittings or standard metric? any photos you may have of how they are attached at the caliper as well as how they are retained from rubbing on the wheel would be super helpful

I believe 20" and its a standard metric line, no banjos!

It looks similar to the burley line that bajelo posted.

This pic is the best I've got!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

bajaleo wrote:

Hmm it almost looks like Burley is using a standard Female/Female line with some sort of adapter as opposed to a custom line?
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
bajaleo wrote:

Hmm it almost looks like Burley is using a standard Female/Female line with some sort of adapter as opposed to a custom line?

Not sure what you mean by adapter. It's just a brake line with a male thread on both ends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

Finally connected my brakes with the custom hose, eliminating the hard-line, much better brake feel around town. I got an extra set as well in case anyone needs one

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2194614
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Finally connected my brakes with the custom hose, eliminating the hard-line, much better brake feel around town. I got an extra set as well in case anyone needs one

Do you have a syncro or 2wd? I don't know the length I need yet but I'll take them if you know they work on a syncro at full droop.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
baltik wrote:

Do you have a syncro or 2wd? I don't know the length I need yet but I'll take them if you know they work on a syncro at full droop.

They work at full drop but it's close - I've been cautioned that there is variation in where the hardline to the master cylinder is mounted on diifferent syncros so I would measure to make sure
burleymotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

bajaleo wrote:
baltik wrote:
The custom brake line that you are using - do you happen to know the length? are you using banjo fittings or standard metric? any photos you may have of how they are attached at the caliper as well as how they are retained from rubbing on the wheel would be super helpful

I got these brake lines from Burley. I put some plastic split loom over them to protect them.

From looking at your pic , I would suggest a drilling a 6 mm hole to allow use of a cushion clamp to hold the hose to a sweet spot on the side of the upper control arm.
The new BMS billet aluminum upper arms feature a threaded hole on the bottom for this clamp for use with the BMS front brake kit.

I will not see your PM.
Please email us directly through our website at http://www.burleymotorsports.net . Thank you.

Web: http://www.burleymotorsports.net
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/burleymotorsports
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/burleymotorsports
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

Hey All,

A little background. I bought the Small Car G60 kit and paid $120 extra for their stainless lines. These require reuse of the short piece of hardline. They don't provide a bracket and I didn't care for the loop. My advice for potential Small Car brake consumers is to save your money on the brake lines and source them yourself.

Here is what I came up with for brake line. I bought a pair of Wilwood stainless flex line (part number 220-6861). These are 20" long and seem to be a perfect fit for my Syncro. These lines require an adapter for the G60 caliper. I found a set at Pegasus Auto Racing (part number 3265-16). The adapters and flex lines cost me $80.96 plus shipping. The flex lines have a clear plastic cover over the stainless braid for extra protection.

I have not fit the wheels yet. I don't think there will be a problem. I'm also using cushion clamps on the back side of the spindle.

Here are a couple of photos.

I hope this helps.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
pechaaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

What size wheels/rims can you put on with this setup?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

Bump an old but helpful thread with more info from another site:

The girling g60 can be found from:
1989-1991 Audi 200 turbo quattro,
1992-1994 Audi turbo quattro,
1990-1994 Audi V8,
1992-1994 Audi 100 V6,
1987-1988 Audi 5000 quattro turbo,
1984-1988 Audi 5000 turbo,
1993-1995 Audi 90 V6
vwpascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

reviving an old thread. if anyone out there noticed there are two rubber brake lines on the rear disc brakes from smallcar? I changed the main rubber line from the frame to the rear traling arm, checked the bleeder screw and notice another rubber brake line. Anyone out there know what stainless metal brake hose is compatible? The end away from the caliper attaching to the metal brake line in between has a larger end on it then the side that attaches to the caliper. If that makes any sense?
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

If I recall correctly it's a VW Beetle brakeline (female/male) that I sourced from CiP1.
burleymotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

wesitarz wrote:
If I recall correctly it's a VW Beetle brakeline (female/male) that I sourced from CiP1.

You are correct on that.
Really the correct way is to make one lone braided stanless hose that goes from the hard line on the van to the caliper. Its silly to have all those hoses and pipes daisy chained together. I guess it wouldn't matter if it was under your kitchen sink but on a vehicle you want the least amount of connections.

I will not see your PM.
Please email us directly through our website at http://www.burleymotorsports.net . Thank you.

Web: http://www.burleymotorsports.net
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/burleymotorsports
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/burleymotorsports
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwpascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

thanks fellas, I like the idea of one long line instead of all those connections. i'll have to do some measuring to get the right length hose.
vwpascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

Got up under there and measured. it's about 32 inches from the trailing arm connection to the caliper connection to go to the frame would ad another 6 to 8 inches. It's looking like I'd have to order up a custom length stainless hose if I wanna get rid of the caliper hard line connection. I found a 31inch hose with an m12 inlet from wilwood of course I need an m10. May order bulk hose and crimp myself. Has anyone ordered the bulk ptfe stainless brake line from pegasus? I'm sure it's quality just curious. Leaving the connection and just going with the available hose would be way easier but whats the fun in that right?
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

I was going to make a custom line when I did the rear brakes on my van but I liked the idea of being able to pick up a line at a plain ol' parts store should I have a failure out on the road.

Of course finding a 2004 S4 rear caliper line is not common for most of the parts stores around here but most can order it and have it that day or the next pretty easily.

4x4 build
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/volkswagen-vanagon-4x4-conversion.162055/
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
UngaWunga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

What could go wrong? Used a high speed end mill to plunge cut on my drillpress. Ain't perfect, but it'll work

Old and new match right up
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

UngaWunga wrote:
What could go wrong? Used a high speed end mill to plunge cut on my drillpress. Ain't perfect, but it'll work

Old and new match right up

Nice! What is the correct name for the bit, if a guy was shopping?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_mill
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

I got my stainless lines made at Paragon performance. They deal with many high end race cars so it was a natural choice. I've successfully worked with them multiple times with custom lines and fittings.

I have been known to mingle in 80's Audi's and had a spare line from a 4000 around. They have the correct end fittings for G60 conversions on Vanagons but are too short. No worries, just call them up and have them make some Audi 4000 front lines 19 inches long.

My 2wd is sitting at 17.5" from center of wheel to fender lip, and a19" length works great. Adjust accordingly.

They work great, are high quality (DOT compliant and pressure tested-report included), and Paragon is effortless to work with.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 33

Jump to: