Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official good deal on Buses or parts topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 508, 509, 510  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scored this nice OG upholstery Carmel middle seat for $100. I basically bought it sight unseen after answering a classified ad on another (much smaller) VW bus website. The former owner of the seat had it stashed in the basement of a big old family store that he was clearing out. Most of the inventory sold on eBay, but they figured the seat was just too big to sell it that way and have to ship it. A fellow club member encouraged him to list it on our website.

The seat came out of the bus that his father used for deliveries, etc. back in the day. The bus was long gone but the seat survived nicely in the dark basement (for 40-some years). I was so inspired by how nice the seat was that I went out and found a proper bus to put it in; my '61 'Pond' Mango.

I've had a few other killer deals come along over the past few years, including a '61 Deluxe middle seat and a '67 Standard with a very complete and very $aleable interior. These all basically were just a result of being in the right place at the right time and moving quickly once a deal was discovered.

Fun stuff that keeps me in 'the hunt' whenever possible.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
buseric nice ride i like the colors.
I found my late 55 built 56 westfalia for 500 in local want Ad a few years back.

That was pricey for '86.
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volks66Wagen wrote:
the fellow i bought the bus from was super nice, and helped me load the bus onto the tow dolly.

Dave is a great guy. Kinda keeps to himself, but very cool to hang out with. I owe him big for all the crap he's done for me. Laughing
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
buseric nice ride i like the colors.
I found my late 55 built 56 westfalia for 500 in local want Ad a few years back.

Thanks jmp, Your bus is kick ass.... Damn do I want an OG spring frame westy.....Not too many of them up here.... I did meet a guy with an absolutely amazing one-owner '60 SO23 though this summer. This van had 38,000 miles and was a total time capsule... It had almost everything (not sure about the Mauser). He wasn't even a bus guy it was his dads... That is one phone number I will be hanging on to.....

Eric
53 Canadian Custom Ova
55 SO23 Westy Kit
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwboop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a 53 Double door barndoor panel back in the day (about 15 years ago) for $300 bucks (my dad found it for me when he was driving around). It came with an NOS 55-58 bumper and spare decklid, and after talking to the guy (he worked for Volkswagen) found out he had a 36 Hrse motor (rebuilt with all NOS parts), and his brother had a 65 21 window in storage. I ended up with both busses (the 21 was a driver...drove it home), and the motor all for $1800 bucks. Wish I still had it all. I grabbed the bumper (for my late 55 23 window I had at the time) and sold the 53 DD, and daily drove the 21 for about a year and sold it. Traded the motor for a guitar. Damn I wish I could hoard. Nowadays I say my wife completes me cause she won't let me sell anything (vehicles that is)...I used to sell everything.
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so we've had approximately 40 good deals between the lot of us in the past 30 years.....lol. I'm not buying that!

bump!
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I could write a book on good deals. But my 6 leg middle seat for my Barndoor came from a '56 Wolfsburg kombi I bought out of Hemmings. I got Hemmings early every month for my '50s-'60's V8 side of me....and bam, a '56 kombi for $1400 in Wa. I was all over it, drove the 4 hours to see it, money in hand. The 6 leg seat was sitting upside down, so I could spy the legs through the window. When I saw the 6 legs, I said I will take it!

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't bitch. i found my bus in someones back yard in Maitland FL for $150.00. It as not in the shape it is today. It needed a lot of work, but i had the time and not the money. 2 year later and hundreds of hours of work. Very Happy Damn, i think it turned out pretty good. Very Happy
[/list]
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I go out to the pickup tonite and someone had left a note on the windshield asking me if I wanted to buy their '55 VW pickup....lol. I called and left a message, should be interesting to see what comes of this. Keep in mind this is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Laughing
Jerry J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There haven't been a whole lot of great deals as far as goes on here in some time. Or I've just missed them. I did get a real decent deal on my bus locally. The seller could have gotten a lot more I think but I think that he liked the idea that I was going to get it running and use it which I have.

But I did score some greatly needed pieces of OG interior panel trim from Dave24 for the screaming great deal of buying him lunch and covering the shipping. He just wanted to see if go to good use and I've used most of it.

'58 Bug
'63 KGhia
'67 Squareback
'67 Standard Bus
'60 Single cab
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Man, I could write a book on good deals. But my 6 leg middle seat for my Barndoor came from a '56 Wolfsburg kombi I bought out of Hemmings. I got Hemmings early every month for my '50s-'60's V8 side of me....and bam, a '56 kombi for $1400 in Wa. I was all over it, drove the 4 hours to see it, money in hand. The 6 leg seat was sitting upside down, so I could spy the legs through the window. When I saw the 6 legs, I said I will take it!

Nice! Very Happy
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieselnut wrote:
So I go out to the pickup tonite and someone had left a note on the windshield asking me if I wanted to buy their '55 VW pickup....lol. I called and left a message, should be interesting to see what comes of this. Keep in mind this is pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Laughing
You come across all the good deals. Hook a brother up!! Very Happy
Jerry J
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
dieselnut wrote:
You come across all the good deals. Hook a brother up!! Very Happy

Yes, please put me on that list. I want an SC in the worst way.

'58 Bug
'63 KGhia
'67 Squareback
'67 Standard Bus
'60 Single cab
derv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dieselnut wrote:

Damn, Diesel! What is UP with you lately??? Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing

Quote:
Mr. Hido: To post your bare ass to virtually all hardened bus enthusiasts casts thick, a slag not easily ground smooth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a split but I'm having a 69 dormobile picked up for me this weekend. 2nd owner complete, so 44 or is it 45 interior. Has all the new parts to rebuild the engine with it. Am purchasing it for a good deal for a Bay/westy/dormo. I'm not a fat chick guy but was to good to pass up.
Nothing compared to what Dieselnut has been finding
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwboop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I responded to an ad in Hemmings (I really had no idea at this point). There was a guy advertising that he was looking for a six legged middle seat. I went out and counted the legs on the seat I had kept from the sale of my late 55 23 window and sure enough there were six legs. I had to go to a conference down in Anaheim and I was still fairly young so I called the guy and told him I was going to this conference and if he'd put me up (even if I had to sleep on the floor for five days) He could have the seat (I'd bring it down with me from Canada). He offered to put me up in a Motel for five days so I went that route, but I did get over to see his bus (51 barndoor deluxe). He seemed upset it had rust which consisted of one quarter sized hole in the cargo area near the side doors (nothing compared to what we have up here in Canada). Anyone possibly know who that might have been or know the bus? I don't remember much about the guy but remember he was Mormon or J.W. or something.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwboop wrote:
Years ago I responded to an ad in Hemmings (I really had no idea at this point). There was a guy advertising that he was looking for a six legged middle seat. I went out and counted the legs on the seat I had kept from the sale of my late 55 23 window and sure enough there were six legs. I had to go to a conference down in Anaheim and I was still fairly young so I called the guy and told him I was going to this conference and if he'd put me up (even if I had to sleep on the floor for five days) He could have the seat (I'd bring it down with me from Canada). He offered to put me up in a Motel for five days so I went that route, but I did get over to see his bus (51 barndoor deluxe). He seemed upset it had rust which consisted of one quarter sized hole in the cargo area near the side doors (nothing compared to what we have up here in Canada). Anyone possibly know who that might have been or know the bus? I don't remember much about the guy but remember he was Mormon or J.W. or something.

Not many early deluxes around......Dennis Rose maybe?
type2man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my westy 6 years ago for $3700. It's 1967 walk-thru, with 85k miles, og paint, 12v ambulance fans, tent, childs cot, and roofrack. I updated it with lowered spindles, a straight axle kit and 16" alloys.
vdubinit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this 15 window for 5 BUCKS at an auction here in town
I could'nt believe that know one at the auction wanted that bus

I was the first and last to bid on it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mario J G
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $100 for my 67 westy complete with lots of goodies 3 yrs ago and I have not put more then $300 into it for repairs/parts in that time. Now I was just given a 65 EZ camper complete that sat for 13 yrs and I had it on the road next day.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 508, 509, 510  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 510

Jump to: