Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official good deal on Buses or parts topic
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 507, 508, 509  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Official good deal on Buses or parts topic Reply with quote

It would appear that there are more RANTS than RAVES in life, but we should never lose sight of the fact that we all got into these vehicles for POSITIVE reasons.

Thought it might be kind of fun, if not therapeutic, to have a thread where the good deals get posted, either before or after the fact. Probably best to wait until the ink drys on the paypal transfer, but that's your call. Here's your chance, gloat a little bit about the one that didn't get away. Or the one you'd gladly buy if finances, time and space weren't an issue.

Don't forget the fact that there are typically diamonds in the rough lurking on the site, buses that don't sell quickly but are still a good deal. Post pics if you can, as links don't stay active forever...and links don't stay active on good deals long at all.

It will be interesting to see if this thread generates the kind of activity as the whining one does. I don't expect that it will, but I hope it doesn't die a quick death either and resurfaces once in a while. If there's nothing to be positive about, where's the fun? The bottom line - no one likes somebody that complains all the time. As a forum community, this should be a consideration.

This would also be a good place to sing the praises of those folks who don't succomb to bidding wars. Not all that glitters is gold...

Moderator Notes:
Per the rules of this site and general agreement by members who don't want to be cheated out of local deals, we don't allow links to craigslist ads.
Also don't post your own ads, obviously everything you have for sale is super cheap and a steal at twice the price... Smile
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bought for $1300 off the Samba, didn't ask for more pics or details except where to send the money. With-in the hour it was listed the po had many higher offers but stuck to our deal.
Glad he did, 1960 swivel seat kombi, I found the correct seat (thanks spookymoulder), the rack was given to me by a customer who didn't like it and the wheels were compliments of Dave Mayes with some compensation Wink

I also got my 63 flip seat from an ad on the Samba, the seller had listed with no pics a pop top split westy with a parts bus and another camper in pieces that turned out to be the flip seat with tents, table and complete interior, sans the hard to find light, chair, water jugs, etc.

The container van from OZ I got in a round about way off the Samba. Pics were posted of it in the gallery at a show in Australia by an attendee with a for sale comment. I e-mailed a friend over their who knew the realowner, the rest is history.

Also bought a 2 owner 64 hardtop Westy off the SAMBA out of Vegas for 800 dollars a few years back, again we made the deal, he did have higher offers but he stuck to our deal. Eventually that bus went to WCM!

In a round about way I have bought a few buses off the Samba by replying to ads for other items and just talking to the seller. I am sure others also have had this experience.

So for buying buses off the Samba it has been good for me, I have missed a quite a few though

Last edited by splitpile on Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KombiMonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:
I found the correct seat (thanks spookymoulder), the rack was given to me by a customer who didn't like it and the wheels were compliments of Dave Mayes with some compensation Wink

someone donate that boy a narrowed beam! Wink

*WANTED*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought this for $1 at an estate auction.
got the rear seat in the same condition for $1 too.
Wish I still had them

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KombiMonster wrote:
splitpile wrote:
I found the correct seat (thanks spookymoulder), the rack was given to me by a customer who didn't like it and the wheels were compliments of Dave Mayes with some compensation Wink

someone donate that boy a narrowed beam! Wink

Got them, this bus is staying stock as is my SC, my 15 window, flip seat (if not sold), container van. Gotta have them both ways to fit in both groups Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this bus, my first ever, for $1300. Typical rust areas, but the interior was complete sans the water pump which I put in.

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spkncarl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't say I have any great deals at the moment but feel I paid a fair price for what I have... Laughing

this should be a great thread and much needed...the negativity and constant correcting as of lately is getting old... Confused

let the positive posts begin.... Wink
YellowSplittie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woke up on a Saturday morning about 2 and a half years ago and checked eBay for buses in a 150 mile radius. This one showed up as having just been listed about an hour and half from home. I called the number in the listing and went to look at it. The auction reserve price was $2600. I had cash in hand and the seller accepted my offer to pay his reserve price on the spot. It even came with a middle seat.

I'm not wild about the Corvette Competition Yellow, but it will do for now.

I chose my username based on this bus.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellowsplittie and splitpile, nice scores! Yellowsplittie, did you find much rust or other problems?

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could use a good deal on a camper - somebody PM me one, and I'll be happy to write it up here!
Smile
YellowSplittie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurnugen wrote:
Yellowsplittie and splitpile, nice scores! Yellowsplittie, did you find much rust or other problems?

A PO had already replaced the outer rockers. The inner valance behind the front bumper needs to be replaced still. There's a quarter sized hole in the left dogleg (inner is fine) and one or two outriggers needs work. The cargo floor and front floors are in great shape as are the battery trays and wheel wells.

For this part of the country (Wisconsin), I think it's in great shape. Definitely a good platform to work from.
langsmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my bus from car collector in Colorado Springs. I slipped a note in his door, and two days later he called me. I am in high school, so I didn't really have any money to buy the bus, only my 60 panel to trade. He asked how much I could sell my bus for. I told him $1500, and he said "Than the bus is $1500" He was really cool, and helpful throughout the whole transaction. I guess he had a guy come a little while after he found my note, and said he would pay $1500 for the bus, but he said that he would give me a call first. Thank god he did, because the bus was mine a few weeks later. Thanks John in Colorado Springs!
I am still working on getting it running on a low budget, but hopefully it will be running this summer!

pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My contribution to the Good Karma thread:

I'll call it "sweet & sour". Friend works at impound lot and calls about this bus. I go look at it, its a '62-'63, westy pop-top but funky cheap ass and falling apart camper interior. I tell him I'll take it, he says it has to be there for so long, then paperwork needs to clear, then they'll sell it. So I says "You let me know soon as that happens!" Eh?

Time passes on! One day he calls, says the thing cleared but has to go like right NOW! That was Friday, Saturday they were to toss it into the crusher! Shocked

So I rush there, paid $150, he towed it home for another $50. This happened at the worst possible time. I had too many projects going on, was getting ready to move to another place and barely had enough room for all of it. Not to mention that the paperwork stated it was a '65 but had the small hatch, outer vents with fender lip, and pull handles with fried eggs!!! Surprised

So, by the time it made it home, I already had a "crew" anxious to get on it! Razz

Friday:

Monday:

The roof was held by bondo all the way around. It stunk to high heaven inside. The funky camper interior literally fell apart. Just about all salvageable parts went to save a number of other buses. All helpers in the crew got stuff of it for free and I made my money back. Razz

No regrets here whatsoever! "Sweet" that I saved it to provide for others. "Sour" that it had to be sacrificed. Otherwise it was going to be totally crushed and NOBODY would have benefited from that! Cool
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller of my '63 Standard was very straight forward and held the car for me until I could come see it in person since I was the first caller.

I paid the full asking price. He had several sight unseen higher offers.

A while back on eBay I bought 7-8 pieces of Bus literature from a guy and he said "I sent you another Bus piece I have since you bought so much stuff from me". The piece he sent is a large dealer display folder to hold the other regular pieces. I have never seen another one.

I won an Ambulance fan on eBay earlier this year. I picked it up in person and the seller said "I only really expected $XX for it on eBay so just pay me that." Awesome! I've had that happen a few times.

I've owned my '54 Single Cab twice and I bought it back for $500 more than I sold it for. Missing some small parts but including a set of hoops so I basically bought it back for what I sold it for. Sold in 1999, bought back in 2004. The original price I paid in 1998 is ridiculous by today's standards.

There are tons of good people out there.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davebuckholts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an excellent splash pan for my truck at the Jacksonville Beach show for $5! I nearly fell over when he told me the price.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my bus for $600. Yes it had PIMP Stripping on it and needed some welding. But I sw the diamond in the rough and don't regret it one bit. I just wish I had a place to store and fix more of the rusty buses for sale. Wink

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dieselnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some really good luck as a result of the samba over the winter.

Happened upon the '54 singlecab here in the forums, offered the middleman a higher than normal finders fee and bought the location of the bus. Props to the middleman for not taking even more money from someone else after we had a deal. I knew about what the bus was worth, and paid the seller more than he was asking for the bus as well. Props to the seller for not trying to get even higher money out of it while he waited for me to pick it up, evidently there were several folks who found the bus after I paid for it and tried to talk him out of it. I was rewarded w/ some cool parts back in December (hursty bumper and a few other things) and over the past weekend as well when I picked it up.

I decided I didn't want the singlecab, and offered it to several folks who had WTB ads or inquired about it for quite a bit less than it eventually sold for in the classifieds. In spite of the higher price, the new owner is going to be very happy! This thing is very nice.

This led to finding the bullet nosed kombi early walkthru swivelseat for $500 in a nearby junkyard, and a nice stash of parts out of that yard for the princely sum of $40. (He even gave me the vert decklid....lol!)

Lastly, bringing the barndoor down the "central coast" put me in contact w/ a guy who was a VW mechanic for 12 years back in their hey day. He has over 800 cars, and due to the nature of his work is always coming across more. He was pretty jazzed talking to someone else who was versed in this "language", and he was totally stoked seeing the barndoor. He's reportedly has a lot of early stuff - VW, Porsche, and otherwise - but doesn't like to sell it - it will be interesting to see where this leads.... Said he's stick of kids coming in and ripping stuff off when he's on the road, so something needs to give.
65 Deluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased my first bus below with the nose bra for $600 bucks. It lived in a tow yard until it became available back 7 years ago. Now its someone elses pride and joy.

Here it is today with new paint:

The 21 window behind it I purchased for $2000 and it had been stored off the road for 13 years as a storage container for bike parts. I had someone tell me about it at work and with persistance I was able to buy it. I have had it now for about 4 years. It came with the original engine rebuilt once with documentation and a spare engine and tranny.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $850 for this baby in January. It needed a fuel pump, and front seat covers. Runs, and all. It will be for sale shortly, once I finish the camper area.

Macca_nzl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my bus as part of a trade, Heard about it at the Vw Nationals and went to look at it a couple of days later.

The guy changed his mind and didnt want cash for it - he wanted a bus nose section so that he could repair his bus. (He was going to use the nose off my bus)

It took me a few days of phonecalls and eventually found one in the north island.

Anyway the trade happened and I ended up getting the bus for:

Nose - $400NZ
Shipping on nose $200NZ

Total $600NZ

Mac

wanted - Blade from ambo fans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 507, 508, 509  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 509

Jump to: