Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

This is what kills me!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YellowSplittie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have done in this case has probably affected your ability to sell those other items you so desperately need to unload.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of your situation, it shouldn't change your word.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

porkpie73 wrote:
Yeah that Porkpie73 is one low down dirty scoundrel. Let's crucify that money grubber. He even tried to rip me off! That Porkpie73 is one dirty mutha...........oh wait, that's me. Shocked
Wow, I've never seen something get blown so out of proportion. The fact is these items are mine, bought with my hard earned money, and I have the right to sell them how I choose and to whom. You, as the buyer, have the choice to buy from me or to not to. No one has even considered my situation and why things 'Must Go!', but you sure are quick to circle the wagens and judge my character at face value. The truth is, things are not going at all well for me finacially right now and I'm put in the position where I have to sell off all my beloved possesions to make ends meet. Which includes my 73 super beetle which I've had since I was 15 and rebuilt myself from the ground up. But please, feel free to kick me while I'm down.
I posted my stuff on TheSamba tuesday night. Within 2 hours I had over 30 emails asking for the shifter alone. Paul's email was the first I responded to and offered the parts to. The rest of my night was spent replying to the other emails that the stuff had been spoken for. The next morning, I have no less than 6 emails from the current buyer that he desperately needed the parts and offered a higher bid in the process. He offered, I didn't ask. I thought about it, and given my situation and the fact that no one had been inconvenienced yet (by sending payments etc), I emailed Paul first thing in the morning and told him SINCERELY the situation in hopes that he would understand. I could see that if things had progressed tothe point where Paul had already sent payment out, ok yeah, then I could see everyone's gripe. But we are talking about a window of less than 12 hours here, 8 of which where spent sleeping.
I can only say I'm sorry so many times, but the fact is there are bigger problems at stake here then whether or not someone got a shifter for their car. Shawn

Oh cry us a freaking river. Waaa, waaa, waaahhhh. If you want people to bid on your parts, then take it to E-Bay. You're an unethical seller, and what comes around goes around. The problem at stake is not a shifter, it's your moral and social obligation to honor an agreement, which you broke.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

porkpie73 wrote:
but you sure are quick to circle the wagens and judge my character at face value.

I have no less than 6 emails from the current buyer that he desperately needed the parts and offered a higher bid in the process. Shawn
Those are your statements, Right?. First, YOU showed your LACK of character, at face value or otherwise when you set a price for an item you wanted to sell, and then wouldn't honor that price to the first person that responded (and that you responded to). Secondly, as others have said, if you were running an auction for your stuff you should have made that clear from the start. What you did is post a "buy it now" price that you refused to honor. Did you tell the first guy he was "BIDDING"?, NO.

You can't justify your lack of scruples by some financial desperation you're going through either. If the parts don't sell quick enough, whats next? bank robbery?.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you agree it's a deal, even if money has not yet arrived, it's a deal.

That makes it shady for the seller to back out for a higher offer.
If you do this, EXPECT people to fling poo.

They will call you unethical, ask how much your morals sell for, etc.
If you don't like that, don't back out of a deal. I guess you decided it was worth more to you to get the extra money, and have poo flung at you. It will affect your reputation as a seller.
Your choice, you chose.
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in situations before like this, and I can fully understand how the buyer--well, non-buyer, as it may be--would be pissed off. Going with someone else simply because he offered a few more bucks is weak. And the fact is there's probably a lot of other people pissed that were likely ahead of the guy who ended up with the shifter.

Sometimes you have to suck it up, make good on a deal and keep your word, even if you're not getting as much as the next guy may offer. It's a matter of integrity and honoring a deal, which porky did not do.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawn, I can appreciate what you said about your own interests. It's YOUR part, and you obviously listed it at too low of a price. You struck a deal with someone, and got offered more money later for the part from someone else. You're right, you paid the $$$ for it, and you can do what you want - but, you reneged on the original deal, and that means that you're not a man of your word. That might not mean much to you, but some people take it seriously. You could have given the original buyer a good deal and a warm feeling in his chest, but instead you chose to shaft him, and take a higher offer. I wouldn't deal with a seller that does this. If they are willing to stick it to someone over a couple of hundred bucks, what else are they gonna do for $$$? Sometimes, making a little more money is not worth making someone feel like shit...

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
buggdude67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this same thing happen to me as a seller, twice. It sucks to know you have put your parts out there for sale at a fraction of their worth. Too bad, do the right thing and sell the part to the first buyer in line.

On both sales, I accepted the first offer and as I see it here on Samba, that is a binding contract. I also see parts for sale that have PENDING in the ad and accept that they are sold, regardless of the price, no calling the seller and offering more money.

Both of you, the seller and the buyer, should be put on Samba probation for a set amount of time and not be able to buy or sell. This is just my opinion.

I had a similiar thing happen at a swap meet in Las Vegas at the 2004 show. I asked about the price of a set of 40 idf webers. After the seller screamed out the price, some dude stepped up and started to pay for the carbs within seconds, all the while I had not said yes or no, I still had one of the carbs in my hand. As I saw it I should have had the opportunity to pay or step back. Same issue, the seller taking this dudes money and the dude for jumping in the middle of my deal. It just so happened that I did not have the money to buy the carbs, so I had to step back. Man did I want to dot this guys eye and lip.

Bottom line always do the right thing because it will catch up with you in the long run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoulda dropped that carb on the floor,...ooops!
bartman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess he's having better luck over here: http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=695134#695134
73notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a life guys, geez. it was a berg shifter for 100 bucks. Not the end of the world. Im sure the guy offered him more than a couple bucks more.

The thing with selling stuff online is that 75% of buyers are knuckleheads and huge FLAKES.
how many times have i given a price to someone and they say, oh ya, ill ship out payment tomorrow first thing. week goes by, oh ya, i sent it 3 days ago, should be there soon, 3 weeks go by, ya, i am too busy right now, i dont think i need it anymore.

thats how it goes.

You didnt get it, and you arent gunna get it by bashing him into someone hes not.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73notch wrote:
Get a life guys, geez. it was a berg shifter for 100 bucks. Not the end of the world. Im sure the guy offered him more than a couple bucks more.

The thing with selling stuff online is that 75% of buyers are knuckleheads and huge FLAKES.
how many times have i given a price to someone and they say, oh ya, ill ship out payment tomorrow first thing. week goes by, oh ya, i sent it 3 days ago, should be there soon, 3 weeks go by, ya, i am too busy right now, i dont think i need it anymore.

thats how it goes.

You didnt get it, and you arent gunna get it by bashing him into someone hes not.

The point is your buddy is a welcher. If someone tells me payment is in the mail, I give it one week. If said payment doesn't arrive within that timeframe, I send an inquiry if payment has been sent. My actions from there depend on what the buyer does at that point. Is THAT so hard? Rolling Eyes
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

73notch wrote:

thats how it goes.

the good thing about the internet--though your points about flakes are quite valid--is that I can now find who the flaky vendors are, all the much easier. The thing is, people who pull this crap are doing themselves a disservice as well, as this type of situation will follow them around.

Get a life? WTF? I'm sure you'd be pissed if you were in the poster's shoes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggdude67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
Shoulda dropped that carb on the floor,...ooops!

I really wanted to hit him with it or like you said drop it on the floor. I might have had to actually fight dude and any of his buddys standing anywhere close. I did the right thing and just screemed alot of four letter words walked away.
porkpie73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait guys, you missed one:
http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5665
Come on, we can keep this going, we're almost on page 3!!!

And since you asked Bartman, the person who bought the wheels is so pleased with the deal we struck, $150 and I'm covering shipping for him. Since the guy who bought the carbs/linkage/shifter/rockers from me was such a nice guy to deal with, I threw in a bunch of the books I'm selling that he was interested in for free. And the guy who bought my tranny drove all the way from Virginia because he can't wait to bolt it into his 62' rag. And I'm sure who ever gets my hood and exhaust will be more than happy with the transaction. Maybe some of you should take the advice that 73notch offered. He practically stole the words out of my mouth.
WagenKult
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porkpie73 wrote:

And since you asked Bartman, the person who bought the wheels is so pleased with the deal we struck, $150 and I'm covering shipping for him. Since the guy who bought the carbs/linkage/shifter/rockers from me was such a nice guy to deal with, I threw in a bunch of the books I'm selling that he was interested in for free. And the guy who bought my tranny drove all the way from Virginia because he can't wait to bolt it into his 62' rag. And I'm sure who ever gets my hood and exhaust will be more than happy with the transaction. Maybe some of you should take the advice that 73notch offered. He practically stole the words out of my mouth.

Trying to make up for the welching you did to Paul for the shifter? Nice try Rolling Eyes And giving stuff away for free? Shouldn't you be taking the "highest bidder" approach? After all you have financial responsibilities Wink
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
[[/quote

The point is your buddy is a welcher. If someone tells me payment is in the mail, I give it one week. If said payment doesn't arrive within that timeframe, I send an inquiry if payment has been sent. My actions from there depend on what the buyer does at that point. Is THAT so hard? Rolling Eyes
WELL SAID. exactly and to the point!!

Last edited by Dave24 on Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porkpie73 wrote:

You're on my list of people I won't do business with. Keep telling yourself all these "good things" if it helps you sleep at night, but fact is you dicked the guy you initially dealt with but failed to close the deal on.
Tin_Pusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

porkpie73 wrote:

Give out all the free shit you want, you're still a scumbag with zero integrity!
sharky745
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate dipshits like this..... They make me sad. Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: