Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More about Vanagon Rust...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
axf7228
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my Westy, it was such a pile o' poo that I painted the entire thing with a brush and a gallon of Rust Oleum. I painted over some lightly rusted areas without prepping at all (I know, very dumb and lazy) but for the most part I have not seen much surface rust reappear. My only goal with this method was to preserve her shell as best I could. Looks like hell, but the patina look is quickly becoming very popular.

I pity those with nice, shiny paint jobs that cost thousands of dollars. Sure, those vanagons hold their value better, but I cannot count how many tree branches and bushes I have scraped against that would have otherwise ruined my day.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I read the thread and maybe I missed it seeing it. There is talk of Waxoil, a British product, but here on this side of the pond there is a spray product called "FLUID FILM", about 11 bucks a can. You can find it in Advance Auto, Graingers and online.
A mixture of lanolin and mineral oil, this will creep into and through the seams.
It was very popular in the forum last year as it works.
Do the proverbial search for it. Then buy it.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

I couldn't find a thread that had anything about the particular type of rust that has me concerned, so I thought I'd add on to this thread. DJKeev's door work inspired me to bring it up.

I don't know how this rust started. I've watched it grow and morph into something strange and monstrous over the past few years, and just haven't gotten around to dealing with it.

Here's the passenger's side door handle. Scratched and dirty, but not rusted:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now here's the driver's side. It's worth noting that in the past two years I've replaced the window seals and handle seals, but this is getting out of control and weird.

There's a lot of metal there, so I'm not too worried about pulling the handle and having it come off in my hand; however, I would like to get this under control. I'm thinking wire brush it to bare metal and treat it with rust converter, appropriate primer, and paint? Any help is appreciated--This is not something I've dealt with before.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I couldn't find a thread that had anything about the particular type of rust that has me concerned, so I thought I'd add on to this thread. DJKeev's door work inspired me to bring it up.

I don't know how this rust started. I've watched it grow and morph into something strange and monstrous over the past few years, and just haven't gotten around to dealing with it.

Here's the passenger's side door handle. Scratched and dirty, but not rusted:

Now here's the driver's side. It's worth noting that in the past two years I've replaced the window seals and handle seals, but this is getting out of control and weird.

There's a lot of metal there, so I'm not too worried about pulling the handle and having it come off in my hand; however, I would like to get this under control. I'm thinking wire brush it to bare metal and treat it with rust converter, appropriate primer, and paint? Any help is appreciated--This is not something I've dealt with before.

I had that exact rust on an old Scirocco. It's rusting from inside the door. and no surface treatment will get rid of it.

It's done get another door...
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:

I had that exact rust on an old Scirocco. It's rusting from inside the door. and no surface treatment will get rid of it.

It's done get another door...

Truth be told, that was my first idea. What irritates the hell out of me is that there was a Bronze Beige Metallic '86 in a yard a few years ago with perfect doors, and I passed.

Thought I'd check with the experts to see if it can be stopped.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

take the door apart first

Let us know what you see
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
take the door apart first

Let us know what you see

Will do. Hoping to get it apart this weekend.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

Here's what we have inside the door (sorry for the delay)

Latch end:

Other end:

There's a bit showing, but not much. Could all be hidden under sound deadener.

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

With winter coming, I'm thinking of either attempting to address the door handle rust shown above or replacing the door if I can find a good donor. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

I'd peel back that sound deadening all the way and then get a sander or wire wheel on the rust until you have clean metal inside and out. Then see what you really have to deal with. Good luck.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

http://phys.org/news/2016-12-smarter-safer-corrosi...=item-menu
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

Once intergranular corrosion begins delaminating your metal from the inside out, it's game over.

If it's on a structural piece, you have to cut it all out and replace it by welding a new piece in, or just replace the whole panel/door.

If it's not in structurally mission critical spot (like your door handle) you can arrest the formation of any new corrosion using a liquid VCI product like ACF-50. Treat the inside of the door after peeling back the sound deadening and wire brushing as much crap off as you can.

On the exterior, poke small holes in the flaky painted metal to allow the ACF-50 to soak in.

You will then have time to search for good replacement doors. You'll have to retreat it every few months but this stuff is amazing at how it just freezes time.

ACF-50 Anti-Corrosion Lubricant Compund

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P1C8UO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8dlyybF4CJV8C
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: