Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More about Vanagon Rust...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

Once intergranular corrosion begins delaminating your metal from the inside out, it's game over.

If it's on a structural piece, you have to cut it all out and replace it by welding a new piece in, or just replace the whole panel/door.

If it's not in structurally mission critical spot (like your door handle) you can arrest the formation of any new corrosion using a liquid VCI product like ACF-50. Treat the inside of the door after peeling back the sound deadening and wire brushing as much crap off as you can.

On the exterior, poke small holes in the flaky painted metal to allow the ACF-50 to soak in.

You will then have time to search for good replacement doors. You'll have to retreat it every few months but this stuff is amazing at how it just freezes time.

ACF-50 Anti-Corrosion Lubricant Compund

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P1C8UO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8dlyybF4CJV8C
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

http://phys.org/news/2016-12-smarter-safer-corrosi...=item-menu
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

I'd peel back that sound deadening all the way and then get a sander or wire wheel on the rust until you have clean metal inside and out. Then see what you really have to deal with. Good luck.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

Join the Vanagon Rescue Squad on the VanAlert app.
http://vanalert.com/

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

With winter coming, I'm thinking of either attempting to address the door handle rust shown above or replacing the door if I can find a good donor. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0

'85 928S

Polygavanagonamy: Only practical for people with big yards and lots of time.

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

Here's what we have inside the door (sorry for the delay)

Latch end:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Other end:

There's a bit showing, but not much. Could all be hidden under sound deadener.

'85 928S

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
take the door apart first

Let us know what you see

Will do. Hoping to get it apart this weekend.

'85 928S

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

take the door apart first

Let us know what you see
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:

I had that exact rust on an old Scirocco. It's rusting from inside the door. and no surface treatment will get rid of it.

It's done get another door...

Truth be told, that was my first idea. What irritates the hell out of me is that there was a Bronze Beige Metallic '86 in a yard a few years ago with perfect doors, and I passed.

Thought I'd check with the experts to see if it can be stopped.

'85 928S

Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
I couldn't find a thread that had anything about the particular type of rust that has me concerned, so I thought I'd add on to this thread. DJKeev's door work inspired me to bring it up.

I don't know how this rust started. I've watched it grow and morph into something strange and monstrous over the past few years, and just haven't gotten around to dealing with it.

Here's the passenger's side door handle. Scratched and dirty, but not rusted:

Now here's the driver's side. It's worth noting that in the past two years I've replaced the window seals and handle seals, but this is getting out of control and weird.

There's a lot of metal there, so I'm not too worried about pulling the handle and having it come off in my hand; however, I would like to get this under control. I'm thinking wire brush it to bare metal and treat it with rust converter, appropriate primer, and paint? Any help is appreciated--This is not something I've dealt with before.

I had that exact rust on an old Scirocco. It's rusting from inside the door. and no surface treatment will get rid of it.

It's done get another door...
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: More about Vanagon Rust... Reply with quote

I couldn't find a thread that had anything about the particular type of rust that has me concerned, so I thought I'd add on to this thread. DJKeev's door work inspired me to bring it up.

I don't know how this rust started. I've watched it grow and morph into something strange and monstrous over the past few years, and just haven't gotten around to dealing with it.

Here's the passenger's side door handle. Scratched and dirty, but not rusted:

Now here's the driver's side. It's worth noting that in the past two years I've replaced the window seals and handle seals, but this is getting out of control and weird.

There's a lot of metal there, so I'm not too worried about pulling the handle and having it come off in my hand; however, I would like to get this under control. I'm thinking wire brush it to bare metal and treat it with rust converter, appropriate primer, and paint? Any help is appreciated--This is not something I've dealt with before.

'85 928S

Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I read the thread and maybe I missed it seeing it. There is talk of Waxoil, a British product, but here on this side of the pond there is a spray product called "FLUID FILM", about 11 bucks a can. You can find it in Advance Auto, Graingers and online.
A mixture of lanolin and mineral oil, this will creep into and through the seams.
It was very popular in the forum last year as it works.
Do the proverbial search for it. Then buy it.
axf7228
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my Westy, it was such a pile o' poo that I painted the entire thing with a brush and a gallon of Rust Oleum. I painted over some lightly rusted areas without prepping at all (I know, very dumb and lazy) but for the most part I have not seen much surface rust reappear. My only goal with this method was to preserve her shell as best I could. Looks like hell, but the patina look is quickly becoming very popular.

I pity those with nice, shiny paint jobs that cost thousands of dollars. Sure, those vanagons hold their value better, but I cannot count how many tree branches and bushes I have scraped against that would have otherwise ruined my day.
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Some Other Rust Preventative Spray-On Options Reply with quote

We use JP Weigle's Frame Saver on steel frames at the bike shop for rust prevention. It's the standard in the bicycle biz. It's expensive, but it seems to work very well. The cheap and frugal folks (the bike shop employees) know that Boeshield T-9 works really well, and it's easier to find and much cheaper. I've always treated the inside of my receiver hitch bike racks with Boeshield as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Dutch web page around that documents this problem, and the owner's subsequent replacement of that middle panel with a new one from VW. I had the same problem, and did the same job (also replaced the 2 rear fender panels). VW still sells new body panels for the Vanagon, but even if you do this job yourself it's expensive and time consuming.

Hey Joe,
Thanks for the great info in this thread. I'm interested in having the above job done. Can you give more details about the costs involved? Did you get the body panels from VW in Canada?
Thanks!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are in Colorado? Stop the rust now and you should be good for quite a while.

Clean out loose rust. 2x rust converter to all rusted areas. Paint the outside. Waxoyl the inside.

Give annual exams. Use follow up therapy. Don't travel to the upper midwest or northeast in winter.

Regards,
Ric

There's gonna be some changes made.

I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't. - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
billybobzia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats my thought as well....realistically, how long will it take for it to rust away???
pitbovver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just roll it, Rust Happens, thats my motto. the wife may not like the way it looks but you dont notice rust at 55 mph much do you? i guess im salty anyways. GO NAVY
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vanagon chassis rust proofing process is very robust and takes some serious neglect (or bad design in the camper kitchen wall) to get anything even close to serious rust..

next time anyone feels thier van is rusty, take it to a Bay or Splittie guy for a 2nd opinion.. the way rust eats thier panels.. it's nearly visible to see it creep.

aside from the design oversight in the westy utility outlets (should have had a recall or TB) that kills the DS lower rocker (and is still quite repairable vs earlier VWs) the vanagon is STOUT and keeps it's shape..

Ohh the damned footwell rubber pads.. POP THEM OFF, wirebrush the scale from there. and brush with a light coat of wheel bearing grease, reapply the pads..
that area is a MAJOR water trap.. though it's a cheap patch panel..

Dan
who lives in the Salt City (syracuse, NY) in the North East rust belt..
for thier vintage vanagons hold up just about best out here..

Battery tray. buy a corrosion mat (yellow one) and clean with rubber gloves and baking soda mixture..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: All I've Got Reply with quote

I bought this at a local boat dealership. Here's what's on the can:

Mercury
Corrosion Guard
92-802878 55

Product of Mercury Marine
Fond du Lac, WI 54936-1939

http://www.pws9.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=...ct_Count=7

Good enough?

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cloudbaseracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msinabottle,

Where do you get this stuff:

"and I found for $5 a can of something called 'Mercury Corrosion Preventative' that is the same as Waxoyl--you spray it on and let it dry for 48 hours and you are left with a thick, slightly sticky, waxy film"

I could not find it in a search.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: