Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

newer transaxle in air cooled vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BJYRGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: newer transaxle in air cooled vanagon Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I'm writing my first post here because I have unsuccessfully tried to find the info in the forums.
My question is; has anyone used the adapter plate go westy sells to mate a "water cooled transaxle" to an air cooled type 4 engine? (See link below)
If so, did you do the work yourself? Exactly how much did you have to shorten the shifter? And what else do I need to know?

http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?id=23718

Thanks for any helpful response!
VWinVT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: newer transaxle in air cooled vanagon Reply with quote

I am interested to know too. I no longer have my type4, but still have the aircooled trans. Someday, a 5 speed would be nice and GoWesty sells them, but I would need to modify in much the same way you will.

Small wheel turns by the firing rod,
Big wheel turns by the grace of God.
Every time that wheel turns 'round,
You're bound to cover just a little more ground.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: newer transaxle in air cooled vanagon Reply with quote

You can modify the WBX trans mount to be fit at the same fore/aft position as the DK trans--no need for the GW unit. I can't yet help with the rear shifter mod, but I'm getting ready to do the exact opposite swap in the next couple of weeks, so I'll have a better understanding of how that piece needs to be prepared soon. I do believe it's just shortened by 2" though

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: newer transaxle in air cooled vanagon Reply with quote

Wow! I went the other way! I installed a DK tranny from an air-cool into my 84 water boxer! Although the later transmissions seem to have a better shifting set-up, I believe the DK tranny is far more robust and the grearing is better if you have the power to push it... TDI here!

I agree with Zeitgeist 13, do your own modification to the WBX trans mount!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: newer transaxle in air cooled vanagon Reply with quote

Andy, I looked on your TDI Club build thread, but didn't find any pics of the mods you did to the rear shift rod. Is it just as simple as cutting out 2" and re-welding it back together?

y u rune klassik?
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: newer transaxle in air cooled vanagon Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Andy, I looked on your TDI Club build thread, but didn't find any pics of the mods you did to the rear shift rod. Is it just as simple as cutting out 2" and re-welding it back together?

I never done any mods to install the DK (tranny from an air-cool) in my '84... however, I did drill three new holes in the metal bracket to raise up the front end of the transmission about 1.25 inches. The result did not require doing anything to the shifter rod...... shifts just fine!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: newer transaxle in air cooled vanagon Reply with quote

After reading your thread, it appears that you swapped over the entire aircooled shift linkage. I'm trying to get by with a combination of the two in my install; late front section and early rear section. I'm also dropping the rear of the trans at least 2"

y u rune klassik?
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: newer transaxle in air cooled vanagon Reply with quote

Yep! I purchased the transmission a couple hundred miles from my home location but picked up the shifter and linkage locally. I downed the tranny and installed practically all new bearings, syncro rings, reverse, as well as the upgraded 3rd and 4th, etc.

My next move is to install a Dual Mass Flywheel. I should have done it in the beginning. I listened to all the negatives about the DMF. The DMF in my 2000 Jetta has 358k miles on it. The rattle from my current set up is not acceptable. I installed a pilot shaft to accept the splines of a TDI clutch but that didn't get rid of the rattle. Otherwise, I am happy with my set-up. The .77 4th gear with the 215/75/15 tires works great!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: