Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sperrwolf Shifter Locks
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Sperrwolf Shifter Locks Reply with quote

Anyone have a date for these?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=36355

Glenn thinks '52 thru '55. Any other possibilities?
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, make that a bit bigger and I'd say it's some funky VW toilet or something.

RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it had a shorter neck, it'd be the earlier 1950-52 version. There was one in the classifieds a few days ago, sold for $125 Crying or Very sad
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveM wrote:
lol, make that a bit bigger and I'd say it's some funky VW toilet or something.

That particular shifter lock has been refered to as "the toilet bowl" for a nick-name in the past.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
If it had a shorter neck, it'd be the earlier 1950-52 version. There was one in the classifieds a few days ago, sold for $125 Crying or Very sad

Thanks.......I knew that there was a difference in years, but I couldn't pin it down. Cool And the seller F#@ed up big time on that one. Wink
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
RareAir wrote:
Thanks.......I knew that there was a difference in years, but I couldn't pin it down. Cool And the seller F#@ed up big time on that one. Wink

I was number 7 to view that ad. I typed that I would take it as fast as I could and got lucky. the price was actually $120. I will be installing it onto my '61 bus later this week. I believe that it is period correct for that bus, but I will have to doublecheck. it is going on the bus either way.

I have a few technical bulletins which show different styles of sperrwolfs, and this one that I just got is the latest "toilet bowl" style from what I can tell. the later styles have flatter sides. I will scan the bulletins and post their dates and styles next weekend. I did a bit of research on these a few years back, and I even have the user id "sperrwolf" on ebay, although I rarely use it. to use a sperrwolf on a bus, you have to use a "quickshift" spacer under the sperrwolf unit. also, reproductions are still available through the aftermarket.

I had a short neck one a few years back which took a splitwindow beetle key. it was too early for my ghia so I sold it. (it is the first one pictured below)

here are the various styles that I have seen pictures of on the internet:

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great information Lind..........keep it coming. More needs to be know about this accessory. What was Sperrwolf's relationship to VW? How long did it last?
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
I will be installing it onto my '61 bus later this week. I believe that it is period correct for that bus, but I will have to doublecheck. it is going on the bus either way.

That Sperwolf locker will NOT fit a Type 2 shifter without some modifications. You're going to need more than just a quick shift spacer under that locker to work with your Type 2 shifter.
Problem #1. It requires you to use a Type 1 shifter pedalstal as well. The Type 2 pedalstal is too tall to fit under the locker assembly. This will change the fulcrum poiunt of the shifter since the Type 2 pivot point is located higher up on the shift shaft when compared to a Type 1 shifter.
Problem #2. The mounting bolt (scene in the pic) is a hollowed bolt which allows the deadbolt mechanism to lock the shifter in place. It is only long enough for a standard Type 1 fitament. After installing the quick-shift spacer, the bolt will no lonbger be long enough to reach the threaded nuts on the shift rod hanger (under the car). You'll need to have a bolt custom made to length.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
RareAir wrote:
There was one in the classifieds a few days ago, sold for $125 Crying or Very sad

I was number 7 to view that ad. I typed that I would take it as fast as I could and got lucky. the price was actually $120.

I was number 22 to view that ad. Damn it Lind.....
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
Great information Lind..........keep it coming. More needs to be know about this accessory. What was Sperrwolf's relationship to VW? How long did it last?

According to the birth certificate of my '54 sunroof, the SperWolf locker was option code M55.

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
Lind wrote:
RareAir wrote:
There was one in the classifieds a few days ago, sold for $125 Crying or Very sad
I was number 7 to view that ad. I typed that I would take it as fast as I could and got lucky. the price was actually $120.
I was number 22 to view that ad. Damn it Lind.....
LOL. the guy said that there were a few people wanting to buy it if I didn't want it. I was just praying that nobody offered more money and/or the seller stuck to the deal (like any ethical seller should). I got the paypal send as fast as possible. I guess it is karma for the times that I have sold things and turned down higher offers that came in later to sell the item as agreed.
RareAir wrote:
Lind wrote:
I will be installing it onto my '61 bus later this week. I believe that it is period correct for that bus, but I will have to doublecheck. it is going on the bus either way.
That Sperwolf locker will NOT fit a Type 2 shifter without some modifications. You're going to need more than just a quick shift spacer under that locker to work with your Type 2 shifter.
Problem #1. It requires you to use a Type 1 shifter pedalstal as well. The Type 2 pedalstal is too tall to fit under the locker assembly. This will change the fulcrum poiunt of the shifter since the Type 2 pivot point is located higher up on the shift shaft when compared to a Type 1 shifter.
Problem #2. The mounting bolt (scene in the pic) is a hollowed bolt which allows the deadbolt mechanism to lock the shifter in place. It is only long enough for a standard Type 1 fitament. After installing the quick-shift spacer, the bolt will no lonbger be long enough to reach the threaded nuts on the shift rod hanger (under the car). You'll need to have a bolt custom made to length.

the ones that I have fit before were the aftermarket reproductions which are a copy of the later style sperrwolf. (I believe that they are actually south american VW produced because they use VW logo keys). all they required was the quickshift kit and some longer bolts, but hardware is not an issue for me, as I have plenty of that. I will see if there are other mods required for the early unit and report back with my findings.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
racerx45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

I have one like this and have a few questions about it.
1. I am planning on putting it in my ’64 Squareback, would it be correct for that year?
2. I believe the electrical connector is for an ignition cut-out. If so I am missing the part that plugs into the lock housing. Are there replacements for this or a wiring diagram?
3. Other than missing the flap that covers the key hole and the plug it is complete and working, what’s it worth?
Thanks,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racerx45 wrote:
Lind wrote:

I have one like this and have a few questions about it.
1. I am planning on putting it in my ’64 Squareback, would it be correct for that year?
2. I believe the electrical connector is for an ignition cut-out. If so I am missing the part that plugs into the lock housing. Are there replacements for this or a wiring diagram?
3. Other than missing the flap that covers the key hole and the plug it is complete and working, what’s it worth?
Thanks,

I believe that one is stock for mid '60s. I have seen one installed on a '65ish karmann ghia from back in the day (the car was being parted out fifteen years ago, so it was not a recent addition at that point) I don't know the differences between type I and type III shifters of that era, but there might be some incompatability in that department.

I will see if my technical bulletins have on this late. I can't remember offhand.

not exactly sure on the value of a later unit like that, but I would speculate that it is in the $200+ range in that condition if it works. I quit watching the ebay market on them a couple years ago when they would all go for more than I was willing to pay.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
I think that sperrwolf was just the name of the accessory and it was produced specifically for VW. they come in VW boxes. I have never heard of a sperrwolf for any other make of car, and I used to search ebay germany specifically for them.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

the ones that I have fit before were the aftermarket reproductions which are a copy of the later style sperrwolf. (I believe that they are actually south american VW produced because they use VW logo keys). all they required was the quickshift kit and some longer bolts, but hardware is not an issue for me, as I have plenty of that. I will see if there are other mods required for the early unit and report back with my findings.[/quote]

The SperWolf "toilet bowl" locker is a world apart from the recent production lockers. If you view the early SperWolf from the bottom, it is completely hollow. The way it mounts is simple. You remove the two 14mm bolts holding down the stock shifter. Do not remove any parts of the stock shifter, rather just simply place the locker over it. The original 14mm rearmost bolt can still be used to bolt down the locker. But the front bolt is now replaced with the special hollow bolt.
Instead of a curved arm to lock the shifter into reverse (ie Berg, late-SperWolf), the early locker has a deadbolt system which drives a hardened pin into the hollow section of the mounting bolt. It's very cool. Once you recieve the locker, you'll see what I'm talking about.
To mount it to your Type 2, is going to take some modifications & custom engineering on your part.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Nessy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd post a few pics of my NOS Sperrwolf lock, guess it must be mid 1960's going by the info on this thread and the illustrations of VW's on the instruction leaflet.......
Its never been used, but am a bit puzzled by the seemingly Type 2 part number on the box ; 211 016 051 can anyone shed any light on this? Does this mean it could be fitted to a Type 2?

Lastly, having owned this for about 12 years now I don't really know what its worth (not that I'd sell it! Smile ), can anyone give me an idea please?

Thanks!

Wink
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're particular shift lock was intended for use in a Type 2. That's why it is equipped with that spacer, to retain the fulcrum point as stock. If you plan on using that lock on a Beetle or Ghia, delete installing the spacer.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
Nessy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
Yes, you're particular shift lock was intended for use in a Type 2. That's why it is equipped with that spacer, to retain the fulcrum point as stock. If you plan on using that lock on a Beetle or Ghia, delete installing the spacer.

Thanks for that info, never intend fitting it though! Laughing Laughing

Wink
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are the scans of the installation instructions for type I and type II. I had a couple tech bulletins for each. (1958 and 1961) it looks like the later ones have the wires for the electrical portion airbrushed into the photos.

http://westfaliaregistry.com/literature/sperrwolf/
gabvwkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Sperrwolf lock Reply with quote

Nessy wrote:
Thought I'd post a few pics of my NOS Sperrwolf lock, guess it must be mid 1960's going by the info on this thread and the illustrations of VW's on the instruction leaflet.......
Its never been used, but am a bit puzzled by the seemingly Type 2 part number on the box ; 211 016 051 can anyone shed any light on this? Does this mean it could be fitted to a Type 2?

Lastly, having owned this for about 12 years now I don't really know what its worth (not that I'd sell it! Smile ), can anyone give me an idea please?

Thanks!

Wink

Wow! That is a beautiful example of a Sperrwolf lock!
We specialize on VW keys and locks, and the last one I sold in that condition, (minus the brochure & key fob) $500.00 it sold in a few hours!
Gabriel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: