Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

15" bus rim discussion thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kommercial
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postal yellow buses = black emblem, black bumpers and black rims. Doesn't that count as "coming that way"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have two bus wheels and two bug wheels for my bus. My question is if I should put the bug wheels in front or back? I have the nexen sv820 tires on them. I WILL eventually get bus wheels but I am just wondering what would be the best option right now considering what I have
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorcho wrote:
I currently have two bus wheels and two bug wheels for my bus. My question is if I should put the bug wheels in front or back? I have the nexen sv820 tires on them. I WILL eventually get bus wheels but I am just wondering what would be the best option right now considering what I have

more weight in the back, and less room, put the bus wheels in back, beetle wheels up front

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Scorcho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
Scorcho wrote:

more weight in the back, and less room, put the bus wheels in back, beetle wheels up front

Thanks for the info, will do! Thanks!!
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if anyone has wheels they'd sell, but I'm looking for 5 april, may, or june or 1958 wheels for my panel that Im putting back to stock height. Original paint would be nice. $50 a wheel
James
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guys got one:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1681391
missmybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
Here's some loose rims I have sitting around (There's more, but I need to clean some paint off to read the dates);

Q-2 April 1955
Q-3 December 1957
Q-2 November 1958
Q-1 December 1958
Q-2 March 1959
Q-1 January 1958
Q-2 August 1955

I've also got some "roller" 15's on some of the busses out back.....I'll look for those dates as well cause they could be swapped out for other rims.

If these specific date rims can help anyone out let me know. If anyone is curious what month rims their bus should use post a Vin # here and I'll let you know what it probably would have taken.

The point of this thread is to heighten rim date awareness, convince people to go dig through their stacks, and hopefully unite some busses with the correct date rims.

Just did an inventory on my 64 deluxe, manufactured 9/63, all 15 inch rims
-4/56 crows feet
-1/60 smooth
-9/63 smooth
-4/58 smooth
-can't read the date, new paint is way too thick, but it's a smooth.
Obviously, I have quite a mix. If it weren't for this thread, I might not have ever noticed.
Thanks!
Brian
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Appears my buddy just hit on a pair of pre-production/prototype 15" wheels. They are dated 4/54, and are non crowsfoot.

Edit: I guess I could mention that they are on a early March 55 Wolfsburg kombi, so that might have something to do with it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by dmuis on Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Think
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Too bad the early lug nuts are missing. But hey that's gotta be the earliest known 15.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

dmuis wrote:
Appears my buddy just hit on a pair of pre-production/prototype 15" wheels. They are dated 4/54, and are non crowsfoot.

Edit: I guess I could mention that they are on a early March 55 Wolfsburg kombi, so that might have something to do with it.

Since the wheels appear to pre-date the bus by almost a year, not sure if they could be original to the bus.

I am really curious about these wheels. If it still has the tire installed, see if he will take it off and check for any other markings visible on the inner part.
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
dmuis wrote:

Since the wheels appear to pre-date the bus by almost a year, not sure if they could be original to the bus.

Since VW had only been shipping buses with 15" wheels for about a week, I believe it is entirely possible that these are original to the bus. How many might have been built for r&d and deemed good enough for productio 10 months earlier? There are two that are the same. Rears are not there, as the transaxle was pulled for a dune buggy in the late 60's. Still hoping to find them.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

dmuis wrote:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1518157.jpg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1518156.jpg

I would be very interested to see the date code inside the wheel barrel. If he peels those tires off, please try to get a picture of the makings inside the barrel.
also, I don't see any KPZ stamp like one would expect from a non-crowsfoot rim of that era.

I have seen plenty of 1/55 15" rims before, but never earlier than that until now.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

I think they look different around the edge of the hubcap area, really sharp and crisp. A few other contours look different in the pic I think. Centers seem to protrude a touch more than I'm used to.

Check in on the the thread for the earliest non-barndoor, it's a Singlecab. That bus is like the 6th non Barndoor by vin I believe. I'm not sure if they posted the wheel info, but after looking at their bus in person I think their wheels were stamped Jan or February of '55. Maybe prototype or preproduction stockpile, but a year early seems strange to me. Is it possible they came off a different type of vehicle such as an Opel?
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Here's a few more pics.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

I see a Lemmerz stamp on there. Gotta get that tire off to see if there are any more markings inside.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Sorry to bring this up to the top again. I looked through the classifieds and didn't find any with my date.

Looking for 1/59. I need 5. Singles or multiples. I'm blasting them so paint doesn't matter as long as there's not an insane amount of lead and they can't be really bent (unusable).

Really appreciate it
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

I would be very interested to see the date code inside the wheel barrel. If he peels those tires off, please try to get a picture of the makings inside the barrel.
also, I don't see any KPZ stamp like one would expect from a non-crowsfoot rim of that era.

I have seen plenty of 1/55 15" rims before, but never earlier than that until now.

Here you go: 3/54 inner barrel

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

^^^ That is pretty cool.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 15" bus rim discussion thread Reply with quote

Mr. OGPaint wrote:
I think they look different around the edge of the hubcap area, really sharp and crisp. A few other contours look different in the pic I think. Centers seem to protrude a touch more than I'm used to.

Check in on the the thread for the earliest non-barndoor, it's a Singlecab. That bus is like the 6th non Barndoor by vin I believe. I'm not sure if they posted the wheel info, but after looking at their bus in person I think their wheels were stamped Jan or February of '55. Maybe prototype or preproduction stockpile, but a year early seems strange to me. Is it possible they came off a different type of vehicle such as an Opel?

Wow, I think I have one Feb 1955 "crowsfoot" wheel somewhere, I'll have to find it and see if it looks like all the other 15" wheels or has pre-production features...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: