Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon ‘floppy mirror syndrome’ CURED!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Gently on those Screws! Reply with quote

I think a product such as Liquid Wrench or Kroil might be easier on the plastic of the mirrors. I'm not sure PB Blaster would be... Not sure about WD-40, which I consider one of the least effective penetrants, although useful in other ways.

You could also try a ratchet with a bit holder and an extender, perpendicular torque is often much better than what a screwdriver or an impact driver can do.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the prettiest idea, but putting a screw clamp around the cracked base of the mirror can make the mirror stay in place and you don't have to deal with removing the screws. You need a quality clamp that you can tighten to the max. I used two short clamps on each side rather than one longer one, figuring I could get the pressure more even that way. I did both the mirrors on my 83 1/2 junker two or three years ago and they stay in place well.

To remove the mounting screws, a hand impact driver is the tool of choice. Just don't whack the driver so hard that you dent your door.
Neptuno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey...... just wanted to mention that I to am a convert of the church of pluming washers of the order of the ex-floppy mirror.......

Can I get an Amen?

el t

Also, if you look closely, the drapes in the house match the Vanagon, illustrating outstanding thematic continuity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fix will not work on the cheap knock off mirrors sold on eBay. I finally gave up. I did purchase one Hagus brand mirror and new is 100% better than the cheap replicas. The design is poor at best. My 68 camper had the original mirrors on it when I sold it last summer. I toyed with purchasing a set of used stock electic mirrors, but that is a pricey solution too.
GMByers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine my excitement when I learned that the great VW community had a name and cure for my mirror ailment. "floppy mirror syndrome" and the cure was a 27 euro cent rubber washer from the plumbing section.
don912
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMByers wrote:
Imagine my excitement when I learned that the great VW community had a name and cure for my mirror ailment. "floppy mirror syndrome" and the cure was a 27 euro cent rubber washer from the plumbing section.

Me as well good sir
WiscoKidd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiram6 wrote:
Did this mod today on my mirrors. I found a rubber washer that fits perfectly with no trimming needed.

Bought mine at Lowes, Hillman brand, size 3/8 x 7/8 x 1/16, as indicated on the package. SKU # 00823670763 Grand total of 75 cents.

Bought one at lowes 1/20/9. The above sku is still good you only need to add a (2) to the end of the number when searching the # at the store.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This method fixed one of my mirrors (original), but not the other (replacement)
I found some cheap used power mirrors, and no more worries.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did the floppy mirror fix on my driver's side, using the Hillman brand washers from Lowes, as recommended by Hiram6. Although I was a bit disappointed that the washers cost me 98 cents instead of the reported 75 cents, somehow I got over it and have now joined the club of happy non-floppy cartilaginous mirror owners.

One thing is that it was not as easy as I thought it would be to pull the lower hemisphere off of the hexagonal shaft. I needed a lot of wd-40 and patience, and I kept scaring myself that I was going to break the plastic base with all that pulling, but finally it came apart. Also, it took me two tries to find the right tension on the spring nut, but now it works great.

Thanks HerrBGone. You may BGone (haven't logged on in a half a year), but your memory lives on here in the halls of The Samba.

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all those who have said that the fix does not work on cheap replacement mirrors I would reiterate the essence of my previous post on the subject. The replacement mirrors do not have the central stud pinned to the body of the mirror. Because of that, the stud can pull out of the mirror. It is quite easy to drill a small hole through the plastic and stud and pound in a finish nail. I have done so on several mirrors and combined with the rubber washers is a very effective permanent fix even for the cheap replacements.

Andrew
ZimZam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: best $ ever spent Reply with quote

Drove into 40 mph headwind and mirrors didn't budge. Who'd of thunk. Another satisfied customer. Only on thesamba! Very Happy

"Nobody trusts anyone, or why did they put tilt on a pinball machine.”
- Steve McQueen
"It's just metal, when rusted and dented , anything you will do will be better. Stop being afraid. What they (VW) did many year ago is not better then what you will do now." -Ben
vwtopia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had my air compressor going this weekend so put a phillips bit on my impact wrench and was able to get the screws out without damaging them. Had my wife pick up a rubber washer (the size mentioned) at the local ACE Hardware and now my mirror stays in place. Best 21 cents I have ever spent.
vwgrl1999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floppy mirrors? We don't need no floppy mirrors.

I love thesamba....this fix is a miracle!!
Past VW's:
1980 Westy
1971 Beetle
1974 Super Beetle
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: floppy mirrors Reply with quote

What a good thread I was directed to when I asked a question about "fatique" in the mirrors. Floppy is so much more descriptive and I love the washer solution as nothing wrong otherwise. Can it stand up to constant 70 mph long time driving? Passenger side only slightly weak but seems to hold. Will probably do both.

Now that you've all helped me out with my floppy fatiqued mirrors, tell me will the same thing work for my hips? Laughing

Bought an 84 Westy and took it on 4000 mile (no not km) mile trip 3 weeks later. Of course I'm addicted to it now and wish it would warm up ddown south so I could take off again. Rolling Eyes

Oh and I love my window wings. My van is missing the compressor for the A/C and I oh so love these old fashioned gals. Can also have them open in the rain. I'm big on fresh air.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buttonwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS!!
Just did the fix.

The previous owner had tried epoxy and a ring-clamp with no luck. Most of my repair time was spent scraping bits of glue off the joint.

Smile
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the off chance some of you cyclists out there have some carbon fiber assembly paste/gel:

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/fiber_grip.htm

It fixed my floppy mirror syndrom pronto. I took the mirror apart and put a healthy dose of it where the ball and socket surfaces meet Been going strong for over six months now.

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to have helped mine though (contrary to a post above) the shaft is not 'pinned'. They are marked as originals (Audi/VW logo) and the shaft wants to pull out if the nut is torqued pretty good. I used JBWeld to try to secure that shaft but drilling and using a roll pin may be the way to go.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just took care of mine with a layer of bicycle inner tube cut to size...CHEAP & SNUG!

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is such a freaking cool idea THANKS!!!! Been fighting the loose mirror for too long!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
RHMoore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought my mirror is original, but my centrail stud pulled out. The JB Weld fix did not work. I then drilled out the hole all the way through and replaced the central stud with a long bolt from Home Depot. It holds now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: