Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

Just got back from Baja and was about 45 minutes away from my destination when I started hearing this loud knocking noise from the rear that seemed to match the rotation of the wheels. What a great way to end the trip!

Anyway, the noise was coming from rear driver's side and would happen when going straight at any speed (particularly when gas was applied), but would come and go. I just put on those CVs a few months ago so I didn't think the CVs would be the issue. Well, I dropped the axle and, lo and behold, there's next to no grease in the CVs. I had packed them with a healthy dose of Redline CV2 when I installed them. Where did it go? No idea.

The inner CV looks a bit worn already but what I really noticed were indentations on the metal rim of the CV boot from where the balls of the CV must have hit against the rim. It's the same on the inner and outer CV and has me a little concerned. Anyone ever seen this before and know what could be causing that?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a video of the knocking noise:

Link

I haven't put the CVs back together yet but plan on hopefully doing that tomorrow. For what it's worth the axle is OEM, CVs are EMPI, and boots are Rockford.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

My transaxle flange seal was leaking gear oil into the CV joints (this was just for the one side connected to the transaxle). There was hardly any grease/fluid in there.

Not sure what else could have gone wrong.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

Quote:
CVs are EMPI

Cheap POS parts
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

Manual or automatic? Spring lift?
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

The indentations you mention are nothing to worry about; they are designed into most Vanagon CV boot flanges. Some are hemispherical like yours, while others are elongated, but all are intended to provide clearance for the balls while providing a snug fit elsewhere.

EDIT: If these indentations were NOT originally present in the boot flanges when installed (as detailed by the OP below), and only appeared later, then they probably should NOT be present now, and may instead indicate a fitment or other problem.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Jeffrey Lee on Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:27 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

I used CV2 grease once a few years ago and it dried up and got cakey. I have gone back to the stock moly grease and all is well. I notice that T3 does not carry the CV2 grease any more.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

Jeffrey Lee wrote:
The indentations you mention are nothing to worry about; they are designed into most Vanagon CV boot flanges.[/img]

Thanks for the info! That's good to know. It's the first time I've seen that and it caught me off guard.

For the grease, yeah I'm gonna be going back to normal moly for CVs. I used the CV2 because I had a whole tub of it from doing my bearings and thought it would work alright but I guess not. I also don't see a leak from the flange seal, thankfully.

I still don't know if the knock is from the CVs but I guess I'll just repack them, throw 'em back in there and hope for the best.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

The dents in flanges of you boots look like they are from contact with the balls, and not from any intentional stamping of the flange during manufacture. Note that your dents are not evenly spaced but match the positions of where the balls actually were with the boot alignment you had. Don't know if this actually hurts anything or not, but might put undue force on the cage or something.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

Yeah, they definitely weren't put there by the manufacturer (even looked at stock images of the rockford boots to confirm, since I couldn't remember), but if it's fairly normal for this to occur, to the point where some manufacturers shape the flanges that way, then it maybe isn't as severe as I thought it might be. Hoping to put it all back together this afternoon and see if there's any improvement.

Quote:
Manual or automatic? Spring lift?

Forgot to answer this yesterday. It's an auto with 1.5" lift. I know there's concerns about lift and stock CVs because of the angle, etc., but it's been this way for a while and never had any issue. And as far as the disdain for EMPI goes by some people in the forum, I've had really good luck with them. Better than the one time I put Lobro in there.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I used CV2 grease once a few years ago and it dried up and got cakey. I have gone back to the stock moly grease and all is well. I notice that T3 does not carry the CV2 grease any more.

This.
I used CV2 one time as well and it got thick and basically disappeared. CV joint started making noise. Repacked with good quality German moly and no more issues.

nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:

Forgot to answer this yesterday. It's an auto with 1.5" lift. I know there's concerns about lift and stock CVs because of the angle, etc., but it's been this way for a while and never had any issue. And as far as the disdain for EMPI goes by some people in the forum, I've had really good luck with them. Better than the one time I put Lobro in there.

I asked because the auto shafts are not the same length. Is there a chance that they were not installed on the correct sides? Shorter shaft goes on the driver side, so a too long shaft could conceivably cause this.
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

Quote:
I asked because the auto shafts are not the same length. Is there a chance that they were not installed on the correct sides? Shorter shaft goes on the driver side, so a too long shaft could conceivably cause this.

Thanks for bringing that up - I actually thought that too. I recently had the transmission dropped for a torque converter seen while in Mexico and thought maybe the swapped the axles to the other side (I've seen them do that before without saying anything), but when I double checked it was the correct side. Or, at least the side it was on prior. I'll double check the length to make sure.

Quote:
I used CV2 one time as well and it got thick and basically disappeared. CV joint started making noise. Repacked with good quality German moly and no more issues.

Another strike for CV2. Now I'm wondering how my bearings are doing with it....
Dan57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

I had a knock with my Empis also, had dents in the boot flange like yours except a lot deeper, turned out the axles were so loose they were sliding back and forth in the splines on acceleration.
You might pick up a couple of new Empi axle assemblies, or do what I did and bite the bullet on new German 944 Axle assemblies- I got mine from RMW and haven't had any trouble since.
It seems sometimes with the Empis it's the luck of the draw as to whether they will last or not.
Dan
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

Well, the inner CV was way more worn than the used/good spare I had so I swapped it out with that one, greased them up with normal moly (unfortunately just the run of the mill that I could find at Oreilly's), put it back together and the sound is gone.

Must have just been that the CV2 grease dried out, causing the CVs to run dry and wear out way faster than normal. I can't say that I would fault EMPI on this one - I think even a German joint would have had issues under the same conditions.

Anyway, fingers crossed that I am in the clear!
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

I have had very good results with Caterpillar Desert Gold Grease. Ever since I installed it, never another CV joint issue with thousands of miles.

I had some high end buggy friends tell me about it.

Just an FYI.

https://www.racereadyproducts.com/new-stuff/cat-extreme-application-grease-desert/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Knocking noise and strange CV boot wear Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
I have had very good results with Caterpillar Desert Gold Grease. Ever since I installed it, never another CV joint issue with thousands of miles.

I had some high end buggy friends tell me about it.

Just an FYI.

https://www.racereadyproducts.com/new-stuff/cat-extreme-application-grease-desert/

Thanks!

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: