Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

sears rascal emblem
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggyblues
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: sears rascal emblem Reply with quote

For those of you with original sears rascals I will be soon ,within the next few months , be having a original emblem reproduced. As I have purchased another sears rascal identical to my first one that was never completed and it came with a hood emblem. I'm not sure of the cost of having it done but I'm assuming it won't be to bad. Also I got a list of all options offered for the rascal in 1970. The story and some pics are on my site of the new projcect since my friend and webmaster is taking on the project as his first vw. Please let me know if there is any interest in the emblem I'm assuming around 20.00.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
colodunebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank you i was able to ID my buggy. from your web site. I would like to know when you get the badges done i would like one.
Thanks again.
Mike

Vegetarian:
Indian word for a bad hunter!!!
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: stickers Reply with quote

Sure I'll take a couple. Are they going to be prizm like orriginal?
Congrats by the way on BB2 It is the ''Royal'' blue and the soldier who bought it new bought thoes rims from Sears too.
It's a later body than you think as it has the flat black dash, early bodies had the dashes molded in flake - same color as the body.
Bart Shoemaker DBArchives
SMC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a shot of what the badge looks like? Is it the one that looks kind of like the caddy badge? I also have a Sears made buggy that's suppose to be a Manx Clone made in 1969. I would also be interested in any type of Sears badges and other orginal Sears parts.

Jon
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: rascal site Reply with quote

I had started a Rascal site awhile back. There isn't much info there, but there is one Royal blue buggy under the gallery section.
Bart DBArchives

here's the link. http://www.fortunecity.com/business/haas/916
buggyblues
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey bart did you ever finish your buggy been trying to get some pics of rascals and locations but only got a couple responses but better than nothing. The ads I have don't show metal flaked dashes but don't deny that but I did get a copy of every option offered by sears for the rascals. The cars we have were built in 1970 give or take a year or two. The badges might be awhile but when we do we will def. have extra done and they will be an exact copy of the original that we have. Thanks for the replies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Razzle Reply with quote

No, Razzle is hanging in the rafters of my storage shed for the time being. I have pics of it from the 80's.
I've got tons of Rascal pics from my research. Both ''Early Tails'' and ''Late tails'' (like ours)
All the Rascal ETs have flake dashes. The LTs started out this way (mine was flaked in color) Somewhere during the production it was changed.
Talking to another mfg (Glitterbug) I was told molding a ton of flat black dashes made the moldmaking easier as they would just grab that part from stock as the hood was being glassed and join them( instead of the complex mold it took to produce the earlier result.) I think this is what happened.
By the way the LTs only came in four colors. Ruby red , Royal Blue, Emerald Green and Fuscia. (ETs came in 21 colors I believe)
Bart DBArchives
buggyblues
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah what a shame to just leave it sitting in the rafters your paint job was very nice thou I lost all my old pics so I no longer have any if you want to send them over much appreciated and will post up on the new site me and my friend built. Also thou I've been schooled alittle bit on the manx emblem on my sears ad that shows 7 colors offered, in the build manual that I just scanned and will be selling copies in an ebook at my site , it refers to the coyote body. so do you know what company ended up making the body for sears? by the way not sure if you knew or not I'm the guy orig. from pittsburgh, pa. that bought the buggy from bill 8 years ago and then fell off the face of the earth actually moved to florida and now in South Carolina. lol
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: etc.. Reply with quote

Terra Buggy was the main company Sears used. Terra Buggy called the body Coyote the hood sticker said terra Buggy. If the body was orderd through Sears however it got a Sears Sticker on the hood and was known as the Rascal.
Email me at [email protected] and I'll resend some pics of Razzle in it's glory days.
Bart
Soul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My buggy has been called a Rascal, but I suspect that it might be a Coyote. It didn't have any emblems[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Soul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the back of it. It has the battery and spare tire well molded in, and the original color was yellow.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimmler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting..... My buggy is not a Rascal, but the back end of it sure looks identical to yours. Looks like they even hacked up the back in the same manner. I have positively identified mine as a Fibre-Motive, tho. The name has been molded into the body in two separate places.

Sorry for all the clutter in the picture. That's how it looked when I discovered it 2 years ago.
Soul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interesting..... My buggy is not a Rascal, but the back end of it sure looks identical to yours. Looks like they even hacked up the back in the same manner. I have positively identified mine as a Fibre-Motive, tho. The name has been molded into the body in two separate places.

Jimmler, I've looked all over my buggy and couldn't find any identifing marks. Where was the name molded in?
Soul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is called a Fiber-Tech.......

Jimmler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one in the back, right above where the fiberglass has been hacked and the other is along the section of fiberglass in front of the fuel tank. You have to take the hood off to see it. If someone did any sanding on the body, it's likely they sanded it off. It looks like it was made from a Dymo label and stuck on the original plug.

Yellermanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like those were popped from a real early Manx. I believe the early Manxes had a tag area like that. Right after the Monocoque.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Jimmler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hood that came with it has the Manx bump for the emblem. That prompted me to think it was the real deal, but when I found the other id info molded in, that clinched it. Discouraged, but not disappointed. It's still gonna be a fun car if I can just get it finished. I work on it all the time, but none of it is very visible to the untrained eye. Cool
glassbuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: ''ET'' Rascals Reply with quote

No these are'nt ET Rascals - close. The early tail Rascal/Coyote had a slightly wider bump than these and had a flat rear seat (no tire and batt )
However the early Coyote ads clearly show a rear bump like these, but I have no documented examples.
The one early Coyote I have on file had the tail cut out (BUMMER). All of the Coyote/and Rascals have the hood ridge though (far as I can tell)
The Early Coyote has a Manx shape dash. The late Coyote as well as ET & LT Rascals have a distintive dash w/radio area.

I would like some pics of your Fiber Motive body so I can make a file on it and compare to some unidentifieds. Smile
Bart
Soul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's one in the back, right above where the fiberglass has been hacked and the other is along the section of fiberglass in front of the fuel tank. You have to take the hood off to see it. If someone did any sanding on the body, it's likely they sanded it off. It looks like it was made from a Dymo label and stuck on the original plug.

I've been all over my buggy and never saw anything like that. When I removed the hood and looked at the section in front of the fuel tank it's still the original gel coat so I don't think anyone sanded the label off.

There are remnents of a rectangular sticker on the front bulkhead underneath the fuel tank though.

Quote:
The Early Coyote has a Manx shape dash.

That's what I have, so I guess It's safe to call it the Terra-Buggy Coyote.
Soul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics from when I purchased it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: