Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Not much experience with Bays...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Not much experience with Bays... Reply with quote

I have a '75 standard bus. About a week ago, it started getting hard to start. I went out today to start it, and it wouldn't catch. It turns over, (and over), but won't start. At first, it just needed a turn of the key. Now, if I turn it over, after about 10 seconds, it almost wants to start, but then quits. Lots of power from the battery. Getting spark. Fuel lines are clear. Is it a cold start sensor? Do '75's have them? If so, where are they on the engine? Are they easy to pick up from a shop, or is it something I have to order?

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fuel injection (FI) expert. But there are other questions to be asked. When was the last time it was tuned up (spark plugs, wires, points, etc)? What about the valve adjustment? Timing? As far as the FI system, I'll let someone more knowledgable handle that issue.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going with ted on this one. Do what he said and check the points wih your handy dwell meter that is about to pay for itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Not much experience with Bays... Reply with quote

vwbusbusvw wrote:
Is it a cold start sensor? Do '75's have them? If so, where are they on the engine? Are they easy to pick up from a shop, or is it something I have to order?

start with the basics as others have said.

the cold start valve is on the rear of the intake plenum (the black bulb on top of the engine with the 4 intake runners branching off of it), it is a tee shape with two hoses off the sides and an electrical plug off the back. yes, if something is wrong with it that will cause hard starting. check the wiring to the CSV, there is a blue plastic plug on the rear of the valve. the CSV is combined with the thermotime switch to provide extra fuel at startup. the TTS is harder to see, it is buried under the plenum on the left of centre, right in front of the oil pressure switch.

many if not most FI issues are related to bad wiring, not component failure.
vwmaniaman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the cylinder head temperature sensor isn't open. That will make it impossible. Has it backfired? Airflow flap my be sticking and keeping fuel pump switch from staying on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Not much experience with Bays... Reply with quote

vwbusbusvw wrote:
Lots of power from the battery. Getting spark. Fuel lines are clear. Is it a cold start sensor? Do '75's have them? If so, where are they on the engine? Are they easy to pick up from a shop, or is it something I have to order?

sounds like ignition is fine, but what about fuel? If it has fuel, fire, compression, correct timing, it has to start.

In my experience, when a fuel pump dies, it goes with no warning at all.

Will it not start at all now?

Bus depot, Bus Boys Inc., Mid America Motorworks all sell these parts.
vwbusbusvw
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I shouldn't have done this before checking all of the stuff you guys suggested - I sprayed some starting fluid into the intake, and the bus started right up. Now that the engine has warmed, I have no problem starting at all. I'll wait a few hours until it cools down, and try again. I did grab all the electrical connections, wiggled them, and make sure they were on tight. I also lubricated the flap near the airflow sensor.

OMVWC
Quote:
stuped is stuped duse
VWBusrepairman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwbusbusvw wrote:
Maybe I shouldn't have done this before checking all of the stuff you guys suggested - I sprayed some starting fluid into the intake, and the bus started right up. Now that the engine has warmed, I have no problem starting at all. I'll wait a few hours until it cools down, and try again. I did grab all the electrical connections, wiggled them, and make sure they were on tight. I also lubricated the flap near the airflow sensor.

wiggling wires isn't the way to check, but using a volt meter will be. Sounds as if the cold start valve isn't functioning. It must be tested along with the thermo-time switch...to verify that 12 volts is reaching it. If so, the part is faulty. The cold start only pulses for a few seconds but makes all the difference in the world for a quick, smooth start.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: