Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
^Local Tire Shop

OK. Point S?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
richparker wrote:
^Local Tire Shop

OK. Point S?

Point S is a large tire chain which is big in the PNW and western Canada.

http://pointstire.com/home.aspx?dec=1
’65 Deluxe Build
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
richparker wrote:
^Local Tire Shop

OK. Point S?

Point S is a large tire chain which is big in the PNW and western Canada.

http://pointstire.com/home.aspx?dec=1

OK. Been in the PNW for 22 years and never heard of it. That is why the confusion.
VW Man 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Hey everybody, i want to get firestone destination AT's for my 69 bay in 205/75 15's, i have 15" smoothies. I'm slightly confused as to what you guys on here refer to as a light truck tire, i'm aware that real light truck tires in the american industry have the "LT" designation. I found these online with full specs, they are a c-rated 1,598lb max load tire but do not carry the "LT" designation, walmart.com does refer to them as a light truck tire, do you think these tires would be a safe choice for my bus?

Tirerack-https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=...5DESTATOWL
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Car tires P205/75/15 and "SL" (standard load). They lack the meatier sidewalls would be my guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW Man 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Car tires P205/75/15 and "SL" (standard load). They lack the meatier sidewalls would be my guess.
are you referring to the ply of the tire? i've been reading through this thread and through the debates about whats safe, this tire seems to cover almost every base, i really cant seem to find a white letter sidewall tire or actually any tire at all for a 15 inch rim with the "LT" rating under the size of 235 or 30 inch
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

How about these?

http://www.busdepot.com/e2057015
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

^Thats a great price!
’65 Deluxe Build
VW Man 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

those are fine, but they also are passenger rated tires
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

VW Man 53 wrote:
Hey everybody, i want to get firestone destination AT's for my 69 bay in 205/75 15's, i have 15" smoothies. I'm slightly confused as to what you guys on here refer to as a light truck tire, i'm aware that real light truck tires in the american industry have the "LT" designation. I found these online with full specs, they are a c-rated 1,598lb max load tire but do not carry the "LT" designation, walmart.com does refer to them as a light truck tire, do you think these tires would be a safe choice for my bus?

How wide are your rims? If those are bug rims, very narrow, you may have other issues bc few tires will fit those rims.

There are a few other 15" tire choices. Usually plugging in 93 Eurovan into the configurator will do the trick. I see a few 205/65/15 XL tires available.

Those Bus Depot tires look like a smoking deal though. I'd buy today if I need 15s

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
VW Man 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
VW Man 53 wrote:

How wide are your rims? If those are bug rims, very narrow, you may have other issues bc few tires will fit those rims.

There are a few other 15" tire choices. Usually plugging in 93 Eurovan into the configurator will do the trick. I see a few 205/65/15 XL tires available.

Those Bus Depot tires look like a smoking deal though. I'd buy today if I need 15s
my rims are factory wide 5 smoothies, but they've been widened to 6 and 3/4 of an inch wide.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

That is fine. My GoWesty alloys are 15"x 7" and similar tires (205/65/15) mount well on there.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

That is fine. My GoWesty alloys are 15"x 7" and similar tires (205/65/15) mount well on there.

Key thing though is the wheel ET. It can be tight in the rear.
VW Man 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:

Key thing though is the wheel ET. It can be tight in the rear.
What exactly is "wheel ET"?
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

ET is the offset of the wheel - i.e. how far in- or out-board the wheel attaches to the hub. Here's a great numeric and visual tool that lets you play with settings:

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=185-80-14X...amp;sr=0mm

It's been pre-loaded with stock VW steelies (77 Bay Window) and Mercedes 99-2002 CLK alloys, plus tires in both cases.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
How about these?

http://www.busdepot.com/e2057015

If I were in need of them, these would already be in the mail. Great tire at a great price.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Question for those of you running the 27x8.5x14 General Grabber AT2s.

I've currently got 17 in New Beetle rims on my '78 Bus with Fuzion 225/55/17 tires on it.

I like the looks of this combo just fine. However, they seem to have a large contact patch which would be great except for they have significantly increased the steering effort. This is in comparison to stock tires on my '73 Bus. By comparison, the '73 is light and nimble while the '78 feels like it lumbers around.

I also kinda dig the off-road look of the AT2s vs the Fuzions which have pretty smooth-looking tread. I do like to take it on old dirt roads at times, and once got pretty nervous on a rain-slicked mud road.

So the question is, how do the Grabbers drive with a Bus? Did you think that they caused a significant increase in turning effort? (Or, put another way, would switching to the Grabbers decrease MY turning effort)

I have Grabbers on my Thing and while I didn't drive it before putting those on (bought it non-running on bad tires), it is pretty easy to steer. (Though it does have a whole lot less weight on those same tires, so not quite apples to oranges.)

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I guess what I'd love to hear is from someone who switched from stock tires to the Grabbers so they could say, "It still turns easily" or "I notice a little more effort but not much" or "Its like driving a car that should have power steering, but the power steering is broken!"

That is how I describe driving the Bus with the wide tires. Not a problem at speed at all, but at low speeds it is very similar to a car with broken power steering and enough of a difference to be annoying/unpleasant to drive.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I suppose that is to be expected with a wider contact patch, but have you experimented much with your PSI? What it says in the owner's manual doesn't mean much with your current setup.

I have not driven on Grabbers, but my BFG's, once I found the right PSI, were just fine as far as steering feel.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I suppose that is to be expected with a wider contact patch, but have you experimented much with your PSI? What it says in the owner's manual doesn't mean much with your current setup.

I have not driven on Grabbers, but my BFG's, once I found the right PSI, were just fine as far as steering feel.

Yes. I've bumped it up to the max. I don't recall what I used to run or how I decided to run that... It wasn't at the max before, but was higher than the owner's manual.

Bumping up the PSI did help, and I didn't note any issues with handling/driving other than perhaps noticing a little bit less of the cushioning tires provide.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 172 of 198

Jump to: