Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
roadron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I ran the grabbers studded, on the back only of my 73 this winter Fantastic snow tire. I left the hankooks on the front.the bus handled ok but not as good as the hankooks on all 4
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

roadron wrote:
I ran the grabbers studded, on the back only of my 73 this winter Fantastic snow tire. I left the hankooks on the front.the bus handled ok but not as good as the hankooks on all 4
\

In many states it is illegal to run studded tires on only the front or rear, all four tires need studs, or none at all. Most shops will not install only two studded tires on a car due to liability/legality.
roadron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

HAHAHA not in new mexico. This isn't a nanny state by any stretch
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

For the record, the 2 reasons for not running studs is 1) they do not stop as fast on dry pavement and 2) they damage road surfaces more. A lot more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
For the record, the 2 reasons for not running studs is 1) they do not stop as fast on dry pavement and 2) they damage road surfaces more. A lot more.

I run studded snow on my Toyota pickup in the winter. They are excellent on icy roads. But they suck on WET pavement even more than dry pavement. And yes, they do damage the road surface. But in an area with heavy freeze/thaw cycles, they are impossible to beat.

The issue at hand isn't whether or not to run studded tires, but running studded tires on only one axle. It's not a good idea.
roadron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

The studs of today are not like the studs of yesterday, much shallower. Running them only on the rear works out ok on a bay bus. I was able to push pretty hard in corners up to the point of understeer in the snow , very controllable.Next winter I will probably run studded grabbers on all 4.LOOK OUT Subarus !
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Any reason not to run this tire: Douglas All Season 195/70R14 91S SL. Apparently these are made by Goodyear for Walmart. Load rating per tire is 1356 pounds. These are going on a 1978 bus, not a camper, generally will not be loaded in any way other than 2-3 passengers. The bus currently has 205/14 70 tires but they are 28 years old!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

That is a cheaply made passenger car tire. Get something with stiff sidewalls.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Call up your local Walmart and see if they can order you up a set of these...maybe you will get lucky.

http://www.busdepot.com/ra18
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
Call up your local Walmart and see if they can order you up a set of these...maybe you will get lucky.

Or just buy these and save lots of coin. I did and they shipped quick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-185R14-LRD-8-Ply-Han...mp;vxp=mtr

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:

Or just buy these and save lots of coin. I did and they shipped quick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-185R14-LRD-8-Ply-Han...mp;vxp=mtr

$286.00 shipped free for all 4? that is hard to beat!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Just for shits & giggles, especially if your van is farm bound or as a backup pair of traction tires when you're deep in the wilderness.
https://simpletire.com/bkt-25-8.514-94042050-tires...Amoc8P8HAQ

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

But these in 185r 14 with a 8 ply in load D range for $50 seem too good to be true.
https://simpletire.com/thunderer-185-r14c-th0304-t...Ap168P8HAQ

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Just for shits & giggles, especially if your van is farm bound or as a backup pair of traction tires when you're deep in the wilderness.

Stuart would rock those on the daily, I'm sure. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Stuart would rock those on the daily, I'm sure. Razz

After seeing some of his adventures with tire failure, I'm pretty sure he'd roll the tires that just came off my bus, they still had plenty of tread.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
But these in 185r 14 with a 8 ply in load D range for $50 seem too good to be true.
https://simpletire.com/thunderer-185-r14c-th0304-t...Ap168P8HAQ

I have a set of these on a non running bus. Got them off a junker vanagon. Haven't driven on them yet, but they seem to be plenty stiff with a decent tread.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I just talked to my local tire guys & they quoted me $60 each mounted & balanced, I'm definitely going this route... when I'm closer to driving it.

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I just talked to my local tire guys & they quoted me $60 each mounted & balanced, I'm definitely going this route... when I'm closer to driving it.

Made in Thailand by the way. Let us know what you think of them after driving a while on them. I see they come in a 195R14 size also.
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Stuart would rock those on the daily, I'm sure. Razz[/quote]
After seeing some of his adventures with tire failure, I'm pretty sure he'd roll the tires that just came off my bus, they still had plenty of tread.
[/quote]

Or he could have these just taken off my bus, dated 1990. They have lots of tread too.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Randy in Maine wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Made in Thailand by the way. Let us know what you think of them after driving a while on them. I see they come in a 195R14 size also.

Hah! You funny! I'm not the one to report back on longevity, I go through 30-50 vehicles a year. It'll be amazing if I get more than 2,000 miles on the set. Come to think of it, I should just toss a set of car tires on it. Twisted Evil

It's interesting that one of the top rubber producing countries has such a poor reputation with tires. But hey, all the cheap junk used to be made in Japan.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 173 of 198

Jump to: