Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177, 178  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Smushy
Samba Member


Joined: December 19, 2014
Posts: 69
Location: Ontario, Canada
Smushy is offline 

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I recently got the Yokohama Y370 195/75r14. Might be a good fit for what you want. Or other Canadian's on here as discussed above. I believe they are a more aggressive version of the Y356. I found them local in Ontario.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


They are LT rated 8-ply banded tires that have some decent grip but they aren't noisey and don't look as aggressive as the Grabbers/BFG A/Ts. So far only have a few hundred miles on them but I like them.
_________________
1971 Type2 Dormobile
1977 Rabbit
+Some Corvairs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member


Joined: April 07, 2004
Posts: 3246
Location: Portland, OR
tristessa is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Just to add to the knowledge base here.

Passat ET45 15x6 steel wheels with Nokian eNTYRE 205/70R15XL 100T fits fine in the rear of my stock-height '75, rubs slightly in front at full lock. By math the new tire/wheel combo is inset ~12MM on the inner edge over stock (http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=195&aspect=75&diameter=15&wheelwidth=5.5&offset=39&width2=205&aspect2=70&wheel_size=15&wheel_width=6&offset2=45), but I don't know yet how little spacer I can get away with to eliminate the rubbing. Going to try stacking washers on the studs to calculate the thickness before ordering proper spacers and report back what I needed.

Rides nice, much quieter than my 6-year-old BFG AT's were. Still, I'd buy the BFG's again if they still made them...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77_Bus_Girl
Samba Member


Joined: May 02, 2006
Posts: 125
Location: Beautiful BC
77_Bus_Girl is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

So, being on a budget, I went with the Triangles. They were $105 balanced and mounted plus tax.

Old tires were mix and match front and rear, but proper D load rating and 195s (I went back to 185)

They drive much nicer (more "tight") and are quieter. Also discovered a bent rim so fixed that and the whomp whomp whomp is gone too. Smile
_________________
77 Westfalia + 2 dogs = good life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member


Joined: April 07, 2004
Posts: 3246
Location: Portland, OR
tristessa is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Followup on the Nokian Entyre 205/70R15XL & Passat ET45 steelies.

Does fine on the freeway, did fine with perpendicular and diagonally blowing crosswinds, even given extra "sail" of the high-top. Rubbing is slight on only one side and may be a misadjusted swing lever stop on the beam. Adding 5MM spacers should more than cure the issue without reducing my turning radius. EDIT: spacers in, no more rub.

The tires themselves, A++ would buy again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justcruzin
Samba Member


Joined: July 31, 2005
Posts: 1475
Location: United States
justcruzin is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Ok guy's, I have been reading this thread and kind of like the General Grabbers AT 27 8.5 14s. I have a 70 Westy that is pretty heavy with my kayak, tools, camping gear and so on. I am thinking the grabbers may be the ticket.

I would like to know from those who have had them for a while on an early westy, how do you like them? Are they loud on the freeway, do make it harder to turn an low speeds? Also, do they rub when turning sharp? I think that is all the questions I have. LOL Very Happy

Thanks for any info.
_________________
Kim
Sacramento, CA

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member


Joined: April 24, 2004
Posts: 2943
Location: Manhattan, Kansas, USA
vwwestyman is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Well, mine is a late Bay but I think I can comment.

I just installed Grabbers on stock wheels from having had large rims and wider tires.

The Grabbers don't seem to require extra turning effort from a more factory size tire. I would say driving this bus with the Grabbers is much more like driving a bus with factory tires than driving with the ones I formerly had installed.

I also drove it to a camping trip with a canoe on top and it did fine.

I would say that side winds may affect it just a little more with the Grabbers than the factory tires and for sure than the old tires. You've got a good bit more sidewall, so I guess that makes sense.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
Dave Cook

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
I'm gonna punch vwwestyman then shake his hand when I meet him.

notchboy wrote:
Ill just punch you in the face. Wink


1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justcruzin
Samba Member


Joined: July 31, 2005
Posts: 1475
Location: United States
justcruzin is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Well, mine is a late Bay but I think I can comment.

I just installed Grabbers on stock wheels from having had large rims and wider tires.

The Grabbers don't seem to require extra turning effort from a more factory size tire. I would say driving this bus with the Grabbers is much more like driving a bus with factory tires than driving with the ones I formerly had installed.

I also drove it to a camping trip with a canoe on top and it did fine.

I would say that side winds may affect it just a little more with the Grabbers than the factory tires and for sure than the old tires. You've got a good bit more sidewall, so I guess that makes sense.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.



After reading what you said about side winds, I decided to look at other websites and found one that gave the side wall ply. I thought they were 8 ply. I see now they are only 6 ply. I was kind of wanting the 8 ply for better stability. Hmmm, decisions decisions.

Thanks for you review. Very Happy
_________________
Kim
Sacramento, CA

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member


Joined: April 24, 2004
Posts: 2943
Location: Manhattan, Kansas, USA
vwwestyman is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I think under normal circumstances side winds may affect it a little more than stock 185/r14 RAO8 tires like I have on my '73.

On the trip down to the camping spot, there were a couple sections where I had 25-30 mph side winds (with that canoe up there) and those times were not much fun.
_________________
Dave Cook

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
I'm gonna punch vwwestyman then shake his hand when I meet him.

notchboy wrote:
Ill just punch you in the face. Wink


1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justcruzin
Samba Member


Joined: July 31, 2005
Posts: 1475
Location: United States
justcruzin is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

They would probably be bette then the ones I have now. I have P195-75-R14 It also say 92S, which I believe is the load rating? It say's something about the air pressure and gives "at 1400" lbs.

So with that being said, I would probably not notice the wind at all with a 6 ply if my (I believe 4ply) don't bother me. LOL I am going to Les Schwabb tomorrow to look at a tire they recomended over the phone. It is an 8 ply but I forgot the name already so I can't look it up to see how knobby it is.
_________________
Kim
Sacramento, CA

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBurn
Samba Member


Joined: May 08, 2016
Posts: 62
Location: Northern Ca
RBurn is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Been reading and reading and... im stuck deciding on
HANKOOK VANTRA LT RA18 185/R-14 , its a 8 ply load D tire.
Or
HANKOOK RADIAL RA08 195/R-14, same ply and load

I went back and forth on 185 and 195's and i read 195 might be best for my 70 bus rims 5" , need to pull the trigger soon.
_________________
70 T2 Model 221
70 T2 Model 231
70 Karmann Ghia Vert
67 Beetle deluxe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member


Joined: August 03, 2003
Posts: 34289
Location: The Beach
Randy in Maine is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I think you can get them both in either 1985R14 or 195R14 sizes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wihr
Samba Member


Joined: August 15, 2010
Posts: 228
Location: PORTLAND, OR
wihr is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

185 is stock.

WW
_________________
WIHR

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
1972 Mercedes Benz 280 SEL 4.5 "Buttercup"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
RBurn
Samba Member


Joined: May 08, 2016
Posts: 62
Location: Northern Ca
RBurn is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

wihr wrote:
185 is stock.

WW


Yes, im planning on the 185. RA18's. Going to america tire tomorrow morning to get 5 tires removed and monday off to sand blast and white powder coat, back to get the new tires mounted and balanced.
_________________
70 T2 Model 221
70 T2 Model 231
70 Karmann Ghia Vert
67 Beetle deluxe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bbrowncods
Samba Member


Joined: December 27, 2014
Posts: 43
Location: Virginia
bbrowncods is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Simpletire.com has Hankook Vantra LT RA18 185/R-14 for $89.93 + shipping.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBurn
Samba Member


Joined: May 08, 2016
Posts: 62
Location: Northern Ca
RBurn is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

bbrowncods wrote:
Simpletire.com has Hankook Vantra LT RA18 185/R-14 for $89.93 + shipping.


I read mixed reviews a out that website, but used there price to get americas tire to match it.
_________________
70 T2 Model 221
70 T2 Model 231
70 Karmann Ghia Vert
67 Beetle deluxe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bbrowncods
Samba Member


Joined: December 27, 2014
Posts: 43
Location: Virginia
bbrowncods is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

RBurn wrote:
bbrowncods wrote:
Simpletire.com has Hankook Vantra LT RA18 185/R-14 for $89.93 + shipping.


I read mixed reviews a out that website, but used there price to get americas tire to match it.


I have no problems with them. I ordered these on Friday night and got them this morning. Michelin Agilis 195R14C LT 106/104R (2094 lb max wt rating). Cost was $90.40 each including shipping and 10% off summer truck tire sale, and got the Michelin $70 mail in rebate, which brings them to $72.90 each. That equals a great site to me! I looked and looked and couldn't find these anywhere else.
Nobody else makes this size tire with a 2100 lb rating and 45,000 mile treadlife warranty at that price.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBurn
Samba Member


Joined: May 08, 2016
Posts: 62
Location: Northern Ca
RBurn is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

bbrowncods wrote:
RBurn wrote:
bbrowncods wrote:
Simpletire.com has Hankook Vantra LT RA18 185/R-14 for $89.93 + shipping.


I read mixed reviews a out that website, but used there price to get americas tire to match it.


I have no problems with them. I ordered these on Friday night and got them this morning. Michelin Agilis 195R14C LT 106/104R (2094 lb max wt rating). Cost was $90.40 each including shipping and 10% off summer truck tire sale, and got the Michelin $70 mail in rebate, which brings them to $72.90 each. That equals a great site to me! I looked and looked and couldn't find these anywhere else.
Nobody else makes this size tire with a 2100 lb rating and 45,000 mile treadlife warranty at that price.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


I go by user reviews. Things like tires from different lots, older tires etc etc... if i have a local option for the same price and 10 bucks a tire for any damage ill take it any day. Actually some places charge a bit more if you bring in tires to mount and balance. If you have an issue with a tire youll soon discover it will be costly. If you have no options thats the way to go. If you look at the facebook page and latest reviews, dismal. Also someone went to the trouble to setup https://simpletire.pissedconsumer.com/ oh well.
_________________
70 T2 Model 221
70 T2 Model 231
70 Karmann Ghia Vert
67 Beetle deluxe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
melville
Samba Member


Joined: August 09, 2006
Posts: 1091
Location: WayNorCal
melville is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

bbrowncods wrote:
RBurn wrote:
bbrowncods wrote:
Simpletire.com has Hankook Vantra LT RA18 185/R-14 for $89.93 + shipping.


I read mixed reviews a out that website, but used there price to get americas tire to match it.


I have no problems with them. I ordered these on Friday night and got them this morning. Michelin Agilis 195R14C LT 106/104R (2094 lb max wt rating). Cost was $90.40 each including shipping and 10% off summer truck tire sale, and got the Michelin $70 mail in rebate, which brings them to $72.90 each. That equals a great site to me! I looked and looked and couldn't find these anywhere else.
Nobody else makes this size tire with a 2100 lb rating and 45,000 mile treadlife warranty at that price.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


What's the date code on them? I'd heard the Michelins were out of production.
_________________
2000 M Roadster
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bbrowncods
Samba Member


Joined: December 27, 2014
Posts: 43
Location: Virginia
bbrowncods is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I will check on the date code when I get back in town.

As for the "someone went to the trouble to set up https://simpletire.pissedconsumer.com/" comment. The website is actually www.pissedconsumer.com, and is a generic site for any complaints on any company. In fact if you look up Tire Rack on that site (which does have a good reputation) they have worse reviews.

Having experience in retail it is common for competing companies to "review" competitors, for people just like you. So I take these sites with a grain of salt. Whenever I purchase over the internet I always purchase with a credit card where I have recourse and can get my money back.

You are right though, it is better to always buy local if you can! I always try and support local businesses and small family owned shops. In fact that is exactly who will powder coat my wheels and mount the tires. One has to weigh the pros and cons on any purchase. For me, I had a great experience and got an excellent tire for cheaper than I could find anywhere else and was just trying to share that with the group.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBurn
Samba Member


Joined: May 08, 2016
Posts: 62
Location: Northern Ca
RBurn is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

bbrowncods wrote:
I will check on the date code when I get back in town.

As for the "someone went to the trouble to set up https://simpletire.pissedconsumer.com/" comment. The website is actually www.pissedconsumer.com, and is a generic site for any complaints on any company. In fact if you look up Tire Rack on that site (which does have a good reputation) they have worse reviews.

Having experience in retail it is common for competing companies to "review" competitors, for people just like you. So I take these sites with a grain of salt. Whenever I purchase over the internet I always purchase with a credit card where I have recourse and can get my money back.

You are right though, it is better to always buy local if you can! I always try and support local businesses and small family owned shops. In fact that is exactly who will powder coat my wheels and mount the tires. One has to weigh the pros and cons on any purchase. For me, I had a great experience and got an excellent tire for cheaper than I could find anywhere else and was just trying to share that with the group.


Yes i would have done the same as you if the locals didnt get within $100 or so. Its all opinion on here so its all good.

Enjoy
_________________
70 T2 Model 221
70 T2 Model 231
70 Karmann Ghia Vert
67 Beetle deluxe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177, 178  Next
Jump to:
Page 176 of 178

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2016, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB