Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bbrowncods
Samba Member


Joined: December 27, 2014
Posts: 38
Location: Virginia
bbrowncods is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

melville wrote:
bbrowncods wrote:
RBurn wrote:
bbrowncods wrote:
Simpletire.com has Hankook Vantra LT RA18 185/R-14 for $89.93 + shipping.


I read mixed reviews a out that website, but used there price to get americas tire to match it.


I have no problems with them. I ordered these on Friday night and got them this morning. Michelin Agilis 195R14C LT 106/104R (2094 lb max wt rating). Cost was $90.40 each including shipping and 10% off summer truck tire sale, and got the Michelin $70 mail in rebate, which brings them to $72.90 each. That equals a great site to me! I looked and looked and couldn't find these anywhere else.
Nobody else makes this size tire with a 2100 lb rating and 45,000 mile treadlife warranty at that price.


What's the date code on them? I'd heard the Michelins were out of production.


Date code on them is 1416. So a year and 3 months old. Could be out of production. Made in Thailand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scubaseas Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: May 24, 2013
Posts: 151
Location: ME & LI NY, in a Bus or on a boat somewhere
scubaseas is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Quote:
. Michelin Agilis 195R14C LT 106/104R (2094 lb max wt rating). Cost was $90.40 each including shipping and 10% off summer truck tire sale, and got the Michelin $70 mail in rebate, which brings them to $72.90 each. That equals a great site to me! I looked and looked and couldn't find these anywhere else.
Nobody else makes this size tire with a 2100 lb rating and 45,000 mile treadlife warranty at that price.


The simpletire website says:

These tires are intended for trailer axles only, and can withstand long miles of in-line hauling. They're not meant for steering or drive axle applications, and their design offers years of reliable service in trailer applications.....


Safe to use on drive and steering axles?
_________________
Al

08/1970 T2a Westphalia owned since 1980

ASE Master certification. 50 years pushing a wrench
GM master tech certification a long. long time ago.
Retired
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bbrowncods
Samba Member


Joined: December 27, 2014
Posts: 38
Location: Virginia
bbrowncods is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

scubaseas wrote:
Quote:
. Michelin Agilis 195R14C LT 106/104R (2094 lb max wt rating). Cost was $90.40 each including shipping and 10% off summer truck tire sale, and got the Michelin $70 mail in rebate, which brings them to $72.90 each. That equals a great site to me! I looked and looked and couldn't find these anywhere else.
Nobody else makes this size tire with a 2100 lb rating and 45,000 mile treadlife warranty at that price.


The simpletire website says:

These tires are intended for trailer axles only, and can withstand long miles of in-line hauling. They're not meant for steering or drive axle applications, and their design offers years of reliable service in trailer applications.....


Safe to use on drive and steering axles?


Not sure where you are reading that. It is a LT tire (light truck). From this Simpletire link:
https://simpletire.com/michelin-195-r14c-14307-tir...gJ3DPD_BwE

"Designed with extra durability for light vans and commercial use, MICHELIN® Agilis® tires are original equipment on Volkswagen EuroVan.

Features & Benefits

Tackle Tough Loads: A reinforced, extra robust carcass allows Agilis® tires to easily handle heavy loads, particularly those involved in urban, commercial applications."

From Michelin:
http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/agilis.html#

"Commercial light van tire reinforced to stand up to heavy loads."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txjake
Samba Member


Joined: July 05, 2006
Posts: 18

txjake is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
But these in 185r 14 with a 8 ply in load D range for $50 seem too good to be true.
https://simpletire.com/thunderer-185-r14c-th0304-t...Ap168P8HAQ


The listing shows them as trailer tires. Trailer tires don't work well on drive or steer axles.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli


Joined: August 31, 2013
Posts: 3247
Location: North Carolina
TDCTDI is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

txjake wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
But these in 185r 14 with a 8 ply in load D range for $50 seem too good to be true.
https://simpletire.com/thunderer-185-r14c-th0304-t...Ap168P8HAQ


The listing shows them as trailer tires. Trailer tires don't work well on drive or steer axles.

However, the tire specifically says "light truck" on it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


They might be selling them as an option for trailer tires due to the fact that not many small trucks use this size any more.
_________________
Everybody born before 1975 has a story, good, bad, or indifferent, about a VW.


GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBurn
Samba Member


Joined: May 08, 2016
Posts: 52
Location: Northern Ca
RBurn is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
txjake wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
But these in 185r 14 with a 8 ply in load D range for $50 seem too good to be true.
https://simpletire.com/thunderer-185-r14c-th0304-t...Ap168P8HAQ


The listing shows them as trailer tires. Trailer tires don't work well on drive or steer axles.

However, the tire specifically says "light truck" on it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


They might be selling them as an option for trailer tires due to the fact that not many small trucks use this size any more.


I think their page is in error, actually they could add passenger tire and all would be well. But as it reads it is for trailers and the link says trailer axle only, so having both designations would be in conflict. So back to the error, it should be listed as passenger tire period.
_________________
70 T2 Model 221
70 T2 Model 231
70 Karmann Ghia Vert
67 Bug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli


Joined: August 31, 2013
Posts: 3247
Location: North Carolina
TDCTDI is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

RBurn wrote:

I think their page is in error, actually they could add passenger tire and all would be well. But as it reads it is for trailers and the link says trailer axle only, so having both designations would be in conflict. So back to the error, it should be listed as passenger tire period.

They aren't passenger car tires either, that's a different rating also.
_________________
Everybody born before 1975 has a story, good, bad, or indifferent, about a VW.


GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: July 20, 2011
Posts: 10850
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Tcash is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires Reply with quote

Note both ads have no UTQG.

"Ranger R101 is designed for small commercial vans."
https://www.tires-easy.com/185-14/thunderer-tires/ranger-r101/tirecode/TH0304

https://simpletire.com/thunderer-185-r14c-th0304-t...Ap168P8HAQ

"Special Trailer Service (ST) tires are not required to be UTQG rated."
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=309

Tcash

PS just an fyi
Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires
Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=219
_________________
Click to view image
You Can Stop This, Please Post Pix To Thesamba Gallery!
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBurn
Samba Member


Joined: May 08, 2016
Posts: 52
Location: Northern Ca
RBurn is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Note both ads have no UTQG.


The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards (UTQG) were originated to provide consumers with useful information to help them purchase tires based on their relative treadwear, traction and temperature capabilities. While it is required by law for most passenger car tires sold in the United States, it is not required for deep treaded light truck tires, winter/snow tires, temporary spare tires, trailer tires, tires under 12" in diameter and other select tires.

Really only passenger tires are required by law to have the rating. From what i read, the actual rating has issues and is not consistent.

"Maybe it's because tires are so complex and their uses can be so varied, that [UTQG] grades don't always reflect their actual performance in real world use."
_________________
70 T2 Model 221
70 T2 Model 231
70 Karmann Ghia Vert
67 Bug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
justcruzin
Samba Member


Joined: July 31, 2005
Posts: 1473
Location: United States
justcruzin is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Well, I decided to go with the Ranger Thunderer R101. It is 185R14 and says it's a light truck tire.

My review... I can't tell the difference between these and the white walls I had before. LOL I have only driven it around town though and my white walls were rated for 1400lbs. So a real review will come after I have driven it to Arcata and back in a week. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
Kim
Sacramento, CA

1964 Split Window Bus
1966 Beetle Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472933
1969 Delivery Van= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566282
1970 Westy Build Thread= http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=479538
1971 Squareback Build Thread = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6652459#6652459
1970 Single Cab, Samson = http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8022609#8022609
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: July 20, 2011
Posts: 10850
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Tcash is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires Reply with quote

RBurn wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Note both ads have no UTQG.


The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards (UTQG) were originated to provide consumers with useful information to help them purchase tires based on their relative treadwear, traction and temperature capabilities. While it is required by law for most passenger car tires sold in the United States, it is not required for deep treaded light truck tires, winter/snow tires, temporary spare tires, trailer tires, tires under 12" in diameter and other select tires.

Really only passenger tires are required by law to have the rating. From what i read, the actual rating has issues and is not consistent.

"Maybe it's because tires are so complex and their uses can be so varied, that [UTQG] grades don't always reflect their actual performance in real world use."


Gotta link?
Thank you
Tcash
_________________
Click to view image
You Can Stop This, Please Post Pix To Thesamba Gallery!
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: July 20, 2011
Posts: 10850
Location: San Jose, California, USA
Tcash is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

justcruzin wrote:
Well, I decided to go with the Ranger Thunderer R101. It is 185R14 and says it's a light truck tire.

My review... I can't tell the difference between these and the white walls I had before. LOL I have only driven it around town though and my white walls were rated for 1400lbs. So a real review will come after I have driven it to Arcata and back in a week. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


If we don't hear back from you, I will expect the worst? But I know better!
Keep on Busing
Tcash
_________________
Click to view image
You Can Stop This, Please Post Pix To Thesamba Gallery!
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBurn
Samba Member


Joined: May 08, 2016
Posts: 52
Location: Northern Ca
RBurn is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer Tires vs. Passenger Vehicle Tires Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
RBurn wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Note both ads have no UTQG.


The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's (NHTSA) Uniform Tire Quality Grade Standards (UTQG) were originated to provide consumers with useful information to help them purchase tires based on their relative treadwear, traction and temperature capabilities. While it is required by law for most passenger car tires sold in the United States, it is not required for deep treaded light truck tires, winter/snow tires, temporary spare tires, trailer tires, tires under 12" in diameter and other select tires.

Really only passenger tires are required by law to have the rating. From what i read, the actual rating has issues and is not consistent.

"Maybe it's because tires are so complex and their uses can be so varied, that [UTQG] grades don't always reflect their actual performance in real world use."


Gotta link?
Thank you
Tcash


This was on tirerack site

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=48
_________________
70 T2 Model 221
70 T2 Model 231
70 Karmann Ghia Vert
67 Bug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VdubVanner
Samba Member


Joined: August 03, 2017
Posts: 9
Location: Cowtown AB
VdubVanner is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Smushy wrote:
I recently got the Yokohama Y370 195/75r14. Might be a good fit for what you want. Or other Canadian's on here as discussed above. I believe they are a more aggressive version of the Y356. I found them local in Ontario.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


They are LT rated 8-ply banded tires that have some decent grip but they aren't noisey and don't look as aggressive as the Grabbers/BFG A/Ts. So far only have a few hundred miles on them but I like them.


For Canadians, I reckon you're spot on. In fact, it's the only tire that I've seen actually called "Ideal for Westphalias": https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/y370/22970 . And another "ideal" rating: http://www.type2.com/library/tires/t2tirefq.htm (20 years ago at that).

After nine years of service from my beloved Nokian Hakkapeliitta CS 195R14s (with a rear sidewall blowout a few days ago from age!), I'm now looking at the Y370 Yokohamas as the replacement set. I'm also setting six or seven years as my tire retirement date since I don't want a repeat of that highway blowout.

I came across this Facebook page for Joe's Tire Hospital in Duncan, B.C. today: https://www.facebook.com/Joes-Tire-Hospital-1611593532484292/?rf=477686652302232 . A guy who renovates/reconditions old VW campers in the area bought 200 of the Yokohama Y370s this spring claiming that the company was going to be discontinuing them in the near future: http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/VW-Westf...T_28697830 (check out his website, too -- awesome restorations).

If you need any Yokohama Y370s in the next year, maybe order them now? I did!

August 14th UPDATE:

This just in from Yokohama Tire (Canada) Inc:

Dear Yokohama Customer,

Yes, the Y370 will be phased out in the months to come unfortunately due to the fact that it no longer meets new environmental regulations. There is no plan to have a replacement for it at this moment unfortunately.
We are sorry for the trouble.

Merci, Thank you

Customer Service Manager
[email protected]
1-888-965-6835


Last edited by VdubVanner on Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
bbrowncods
Samba Member


Joined: December 27, 2014
Posts: 38
Location: Virginia
bbrowncods is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

RV's typically are vehicles that do not wear out tires. Most RVers say it is good advice to replace your tires every 5 years if you take care of them (proper inflation, regular rotations, protecting them from the sun with covers, avoiding temperature extremes, putting the vehicle up off the tires when storing for longer than a month, etc.). If abused, then sooner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177
Jump to:
Page 177 of 177

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2016, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB