Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 178, 179, 180 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Nov 27, 2017

Just to let everyone know, the price of the Hankook RA18 in 195R14 has recently dropped. I just paid $348 delivered for a set of four through eBay. In August the same set of tires cost me roughly $470 via eBay.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Another update on the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires and CLK rims, now with over 2,500km under our belts.

The tires are awesome - zero complaints. I just used them in conditions that they'll hopefully never see again and they excelled - sub-zero (sorry, sub-32), snowy, slushy roads, wet roads and dry roads. I was very impressed with how well the tires handled. If you are a winter driver, buy winter tires. For normal conditions, I couldn't be happier.

For the CLK rims - one small update on the rears. There is a retaining bolt on the rear drums that needs to be removed in order to get the wheels flush. You can get them flush with lots of effort in the star tightening pattern, but you're just causing the bolt to press into the aluminum of the rim. Oops. No blood, no foul - we're good now.

Ride_On wrote:
Quick short-term use follow-up on Michelin Defender LTX M/S 215/55R16 XL tires - great so far!

We replaced our nearly worn out Michelin Agilis 81 185R14C tires on stock steel rims. These tires performed well, even in very wet conditions with older rubber and a good bit of tread wear.

New wheels are refurbished forged alloy CLK320 rims (thanks T3Technique for the hardware and consult). I have not done a highway run yet, but the new tires seem great - stable in straight line, great support cornering, quieter and more supple. In short, I'm really happy with performance thus far. Extended drive coming this weekend. I'll check in again after that.

The CLK320 rims required drilling out the lug holes and use of new lug nuts (small ball seat). Other than that, straight plug and play.

championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Hey are you guys running the 27x8.5r14 General Grabber AT's on stock rims? Just making sure they aren't too wide before ordering.

Edit: Oops on a 78
eazyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Just picked up a set of Hankook Vantra RA18 off of Amazon for $85 a piece. Now to take the wheels off and find a tire shop that will mount them so I can get my bus out to the shop.
'86 Transporter - "Diglett" (FOR SALE)
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

championbaum wrote:
Hey are you guys running the 27x8.5r14 General Grabber AT's on stock rims? Just making sure they aren't too wide before ordering.

Edit: Oops on a 78

I'm running them. Slight rub on occasion while turning but no big deal.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

eazyvw wrote:
Just picked up a set of Hankook Vantra RA18 off of Amazon for $85 a piece. Now to take the wheels off and find a tire shop that will mount them so I can get my bus out to the shop.

Any shop can mount the tires. But may not be able to balance them. Don't worry about it. I have not had a bus tire/wheel balanced in years, and have never had a problem.
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. Will be purchasing tires as soon as I get it back on the road.
eazyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Any shop can mount the tires. But may not be able to balance them. Don't worry about it. I have not had a bus tire/wheel balanced in years, and have never had a problem.

Last time I tried to get a set of tires mounted, a lot of the local tire shops wouldn't do it because I bought them online.

I used to have a friend at a local car dealership that would do them for me, but he's moved on and doesn't have access to the machinery anymore.

I'm sure I'll be able to find someone to do it, just need to get the wheels off the bus first so I can go get it done.
'86 Transporter - "Diglett" (FOR SALE)
championbaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

eazyvw wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Last time I tried to get a set of tires mounted, a lot of the local tire shops wouldn't do it because I bought them online.

I used to have a friend at a local car dealership that would do them for me, but he's moved on and doesn't have access to the machinery anymore.

I'm sure I'll be able to find someone to do it, just need to get the wheels off the bus first so I can go get it done.

Ya that’s actually why I will probably buy them through a local shop vs online. I know I will pay a bit more but it’ll save me a bit of a headache.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

championbaum wrote:
eazyvw wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Ya that’s actually why I will probably buy them through a local shop vs online. I know I will pay a bit more but it’ll save me a bit of a headache.

Interesting. I have never heard of a tire shop turning down business. They still make money with mount/balance jobs.

My curiosity is piqued. I'm gonna ask my local tire guys if they mount tires from online sellers.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

$65 gets a set of 4 tires mounted and balanced around here, regardless of they were purchased.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Tire Rack has deals with installers, and that tires can be shipped directly to the shop so you don't have to pick them up at your house and haul them to the shop.

My local place was willing to dismount two of the General Grabber tires I had on my Thing and mount them on my Bus rims so I could see if I liked how it steered, and then later remount them on the Thing rims. I just had to pay the labor each time.

Later they mounted one of my old Bus tires on the Thing's spare rim.

They even had to track down an adapter to be able to balance tires on the Thing rims, but they did do it.

So yeah, I'm surprised anyone would say they won't mount tires brought in. Though I stopped buying tires from Tire Rack and started buying from the local place years ago, because of service like this.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

For the record, I have never bought tires online to have mounted locally. I buy all of my new tires at my favorite local shop. But I have had them mount many, many used tires for me over the years, sometimes they do it for nothing. That is what buying 8-10 new sets of tires from one place over the years will get you.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
eazyvw wrote:

While I agree that some shops can't balance certain rims or do it accurately, I still always recommend having the tires balanced. It can make a difference in preventing vibrations above 45 miles an hour. No difference than when you have too much laundry on one side of the washing machine that causes it to vibrate off the floor. I had Discount tires mount and balance some tires I bought online for my bus. They had the cones to balance them.

After driving the bus on the freeway, it was apparent that they didn't do a good job. I use to balance tires on cars at a shop in the 80's. A decade ago I bought a spin balancer that spins up the front tires. When I checked them, they were all off from 2 oz up to 4 oz. This was why I felt the vibration at speed. I rebalanced them on the bus and the vibration was gone. You use the engine and spin up the rear tires on the bus, one side at a time. You spin up the rear tire, get a feel for how much vibration the tire is causing and add weights. It takes about 10-15 minutes a wheel while moving the weight around to find the sweet spot and then adding more or less weight until the vibration is gone.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
A decade ago I bought a spin balancer that spins up the front tires. When I checked them, they were all off from 2 oz up to 4 oz. This was why I felt the vibration at speed. I rebalanced them on the bus and the vibration was gone. You use the engine and spin up the rear tires on the bus, one side at a time. You spin up the rear tire, get a feel for how much vibration the tire is causing and add weights. It takes about 10-15 minutes a wheel while moving the weight around to find the sweet spot and then adding more or less weight until the vibration is gone.

Oh maaaaaan.... you've got ALL the cool toys.
Now WastedYouth is gonna want one too... Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I used to work at America’s Tire Co./Discount Tire Co. in the 90s and we would mount and balance any road worthy tire brought in by a customer. Labor (mount and balance) is $$. ATC/DTC mounted them for free if you bought from us. Any decent ship should be able to balance any wheel, VW wheels aren’t anything special.

You’ll usually feel (in the steering wheel=front, seat of your pants=rears) the out of balance tire when driving around 65mph. Some cars have such poor suspension and steering that you may not feel an out of balance tire.

Last edited by CarlosZ on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Tens of thousands of miles behind the wheel of a VW bus, and the last two sets of tires (BFG all Terrains and Cooper Discoverers) required no balance and did not vibrate. I have run a few used sets of Goodyear 195/75R14 LT from the USPS trucks with no balance, too. Same result.

I have a nice set of Starfire 27x8.5r14 on my 68 single cab, but have not hit the road with them yet. I did not balance them. If they vibrate, I will have them balanced.

I rarely drive a bus over 60MPH. Maybe that is the difference.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Oh maaaaaan.... you've got ALL the cool toys.
Now WastedYouth is gonna want one too... Laughing[/quote]

LOL!

I think I paid $100 for that 60's Snap-on tire spinner a decade ago. It's paid for itself many times over. Having three old VW's to spin balance helps reduce outside labor costs!

What's sad is balancing the tires on the car is SO much more accurate than taking the tire off the vehicle and balancing it on a 'modern tire balancing' machine. Why? When you balance the tire on the vehicle, you're balancing the ENTIRE rotating assembly. The tire, rim, drum and hub cap. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

walk into your local friendly tire shop that sells the brand tire you want and ask them politely, "I know you have overhead and need to make a profit to keep the doors open, but how close to Internet prices can you come - in general?" If they show a willingness to play, which most will say yes to, if so reach in your back pocket and pull out a printed copy of the quote online you got WITH SHIPPING and tax if any. Hand it to them and say "these are the ones I am interested in, how close can you come, complete with mounting and balancing?" My guess is that their price will be within $15 to $20 of that price - and they will warranty a tire if you have a problem, and the money stays in your community and feeds local families who play with your kids in school. They may have to order the tires so be patient if it takes them a couple of days to get them. 15 years ago brick and mortar didn't like to come close to matching online prices from reputable sellers but these days it is a fact of life if a business wants to stay open. They do it to businesses they buy from too.

And, if the difference of $15 or $20 is whether you will build a relationship with a store, then my thought is that in the long run you won't save money because when a tire fails, or there is a problem with something - no one will be there to help. We've bought tires at $10 more for all 4 than online, then had the business wink and hand us a coupon from a tire manufacturer worth a $75 rebate so it actually cost us $65 less locally than online. Its like the coupons your doctor hands you for prescriptions - "here are a few coupons, give one of these to your best customers who buy our tires .... ."
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
And, if the difference of $15 or $20 is whether you will build a relationship with a store, then my thought is that in the long run you won't save money because when a tire fails, or there is a problem with something - no one will be there to help. We've bought tires at $10 more for all 4 than online, then had the business wink and hand us a coupon from a tire manufacturer worth a $75 rebate so it actually cost us $65 less locally than online. Its like the coupons your doctor hands you for prescriptions - "here are a few coupons, give one of these to your best customers who buy our tires .... ."

Yes! My last tire purchase was from BusDepot, because the RA08s were being discontinued, and they were the only ones with the 195 size in stock. I saved $30 over the store price, and it continues to bite me in the ass every time I have to get them balanced. Free lifetime balance from Discuont/America’s (same company) if you buy the tires locally, but now I pay $70 a year for the “convenience” of shopping for tires online....

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 178, 179, 180 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 179 of 198

Jump to: