Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
xyzzy wrote:
So what's the latest in terms of best tires for Bays?

BFG ATs: Gone.

General Grabber ATs: Only downside is they're a little wider, and the spare wont fit in the usual spot because of the increased width?

Hankook RA18: New version of the RA08. Good price, good tire.

Goodyear Tires Wrangler AT LT195/75R14: Is anyone running these? They look very comparable to the old BFGs.. Money aside, these seem like they'd be a better fit for the Bus than the Grabbers, while till having that offroad footprint, right?

Grabbers are also taller, so that too would likely prevent them from going in most stock spare tire locations.

So far as spare-tyre storage is concerned, it might be preferable to continue discussions in the following topic thread, to avoid them being submerged in the hundreds or thousands of general tyre related discussions.

Forum Index > Bay Window Bus > Largest tyre sizes, to fit rear spare-wheel well?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251940

Based upon the tyre’s section-widths & aspect-ratios, the factory-stock 185/80 R14 tyres and proposed replacement 195/75 R14 tyres, have virtually the same external radius to within 2 mm; the replacement wider, lower-profile tyre, being slightly smaller by 0•55%.

195/75 R14 tyres – 324•0 mm predicted external radius

185/80 R14 tyres – 325•8 mm predicted external radius

Having similar concerns about alternative tyres (i.e. 65-Series light-truck tyres, for 7 x 16 inch Mercedes wheels), I recently measured the engine-deck spare-wheel well of my 1973 VW “1600” Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan.

I tried for size, one of my recently acquired Mercedes C-Class 7J x 16 inch wheels with 205/55 R16 tyres. It would NOT fit! According to my measurement with a metric tape measure, the spare-wheel well is 214 mm (i.e. 165 mm + 49 mm) wide, so I was a little surprised that a Mercedes C-Class 7J x 16 inch wheel with 205/55 R16 tyre didn’t fit!?!

I have used a mathematical circle-theorem pertaining to intersecting chords of a circle, to determine the radius of curvature of the spare-wheel well, which to a close approximation, is probably part of a circular cross-section.

According to the theorem, if two chords AB and CD intersect at a point E inside or outside the circle, then the product of lengths AE x EB = CE x ED.

If I measure lengthwise horizontally across the spare-wheel well (i.e. 630 mm), this will give chord-length AB via mid-point E, such that AE = EB = ½ x 630 mm = 315 mm.

Measuring vertically downward from mid-point E, to the bottom of the wheel well at point C, gives the length CE (i.e. 194 mm) forming part of chord CD = CE + ED, which is a diameter of the circle; recalling that a radius or diameter bisects a chord at a right angle.

Manipulation of the theorem relationship gives ED = AE x EB / CE. Substitution gives the wheel-well diameter CD = CE + ED = CE + AE x EB / CE.

Hence, spare-wheel-well diameter (i.e. twice the radius of curvature) CD = 194 + 315 x 315 / 194 = 705 mm

185/80 R14C tyre – predicted external diameter = 652 mm

195/75 R14C tyre – predicted external diameter = 648 mm

195/65 R16C tyre – predicted external diameter = 660 mm

205/65 R16C tyre – predicted external diameter = 673 mm

215/65 R16C tyre – predicted external diameter = 686 mm

225/65 R16C tyre – predicted external diameter = 699 mm

235/65 R16C tyre – predicted external diameter = 712 mm

Comparison of the calculated spare-wheel-well diameter with the calculated external tyre diameters, suggests that a 215/65 R16C tyre should fit comfortably in the spare-wheel-well, provided the spare-wheel-well can be made wide enough; and might possibly even accommodate a 225/65 R16C tyre.

Just to be on the safe side, I shall measure the external circumference (from which I can infer external diameter & radius) of the two 215/65 R16C tyres on Vauxhall Movano wheels that I possess (salvaged from a waste-skip – dumpster in USA parlance!?!), and create a corrugated-cardboard template to try for size in the spare-wheel well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renault_Master#Second_generation_(1997%E2%80%932010)

The second generation Renault Master, which arrived in November 1997 was more conventional in appearance and, though primarily developed by Renault, was available from 1998 as the almost identical Opel Movano (badged in the United Kingdom as the Vauxhall Movano), and from Renault's closely related partner Nissan, from whom it was available as the Nissan Interstar.

For interest, I have also recently been investigating the space-saver spare wheels & tyres, that are supplied for Mercedes C-Class & E-Class cars; several second-hand examples of which, are currently listed on British E-bay.

There is a 16 inch steel wheel with 125/90 R16 98M tyre and a 17 inch steel wheel with 155/70 R17 110M tyre; either of which would be of adequate load rating for a 1971~79 VW Type 2. Their external circumferences are comparable with a 205/55 R16 tyre, which is about 3% smaller than a 185/80 R14C tyre

Mercedes C Class Clk Spare Space Saver Wheel W203 W209

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-C-Class-Clk-Sp...Sw4vJathOb

Mercedes E Class Space Saver Wheel

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-E-Class-Space-...Swf~JalCqU

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

My new RA18s showed up today, they are as advertised.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
Francoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

The Hankook Vantra LT RA18 is a summer tire, right?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

The RA18 is a 3 season tire And are Hankooks replacement of the RA08 which was a 4 season tire. The tread looks good though, I bet they could handle some snow when they are new.

I have a few hundred miles on my new RA18s already. I will review them after our trip to Canyon Lands next weekend. So far I’m am pretty happy.
’65 Deluxe Build
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
The RA18 is a 3 season tire And are Hankooks replacement of the RA08 which was a 4 season tire. The tread looks good though, I bet they could handle some snow when they are new.

I have a few hundred miles on my new RA18s already. I will review them after our trip to Canyon Lands next weekend. So far I’m am pretty happy.

Having them siped may help.
gatorjos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

I found this website today accidentally, and they have a ton of off-brand 185 R14 size tires all correctly load rated. I was surprised to see so much selection. Not sure I'd trust my bus to a "TBC brand" tire, but hey, if you're on a budget, they have D-rated tires down to $60/tire.

https://simpletire.com/catalog?width=185&ratio=-&rim=14

Previous romances:
1972 Ghia cabriolet (full body-off restoration -- stolen after five years of ownership)
2004 Passat 1.8T (manual)

http://21stcenturyhobo.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Sorry if it's been answered before, because it likely has, but:

Does anyone have any details as to whether a 30x9.50x15 will fit a stock bus on split window 15" wheels?

I've ran 215/75r15 bfgoodrich all terrains before without much trouble.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

busboyjake wrote:
Sorry if it's been answered before, because it likely has, but:

Does anyone have any details as to whether a 30x9.50x15 will fit a stock bus on split window 15" wheels?

I've ran 215/75r15 bfgoodrich all terrains before without much trouble.

I would think the with of the tire might be an issue. 15” split wheels are only like 4.5 or 5.5” wide, don’t recall off hand. My buddy was told by a tire shop that they wouldn’t even mount the 215/75r15 because the tire was too wide for the rim. Which is funny b/c it’s been done and many split guys are running them. I’d also imagine that the 30x9.5 would rub the sway bar at full tilt.
’65 Deluxe Build
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

You can try using the [Search this topic...] function.
It is better to limit your search term. Example 30x9.50x15 try 30x9.50.

Good luck
Tcash
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

Good luck
Tcash

Thanks. Did that. I got this 180 page thread. You're more than welcome to comb through it, but I have better things to do like go to work and work on my bus, eat food, sleep, etc.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

busboyjake wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Good luck
Tcash

Thanks. Did that. I got this 180 page thread. You're more than welcome to comb through it, but I have better things to do like go to work and work on my bus, eat food, sleep, etc.

I tried it, too, and found this...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8218660&highlight=30x9.5#8218660

Looks like you're gonna need some lift to fit these meats.
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
busboyjake wrote:
Tcash wrote:

Good luck
Tcash

I tried it, too, and found this...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8218660&highlight=30x9.5#8218660

Looks like you're gonna need some lift to fit these meats.

Nope. Same thing I found. Still doesn't answer my question. Yes, I assume they will fit on the rear.

This gets me closer:

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Buy some, and see if they fit. They have been fit to a lifted bus. You may be the first to stuff them under a stock height bus.

They may be made to fit out back, but I am guessing there will be a need to modify the offset of the rear wheels to get them centered in the space.

Diameter will likely be too big up front to clear the rear dogleg during suspension travel.
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

We're talking about 2 inches taller (one inch closer to the b-pillar), and 1 inch wider (0.5 inches closer to the sway bar)

This may call for a test fit.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

The "Use the Search" suggestion was referring to searching within the thread, not searching all of the Bay forums...

Anyway, one suggestion I have is you could go to your friendly local tire mounting shop and see if they have any used take off tires in your desired size. You could buy a pair of them and have them mounted and do your test-fit with a relatively cheap pair of tires vs buying all new ones only to find out they don't fit. If they're really nice at your store, maybe they'd let you "borrow" them for the cost of a couple mounting fees.

Worth a shot, that is what I did when shopping for tires for my Bus.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

These look pretty rad, and they're cheaper than bfg's.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

Good luck
Tcash

Let me try this again.
You can try using the [Search this topic...] at the top of the page of the Thread you are in.

Search results in 8 links.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...ults=posts

Just trying to help
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Another search you can do.
Home>Search>Enter forum you want to search and then the search terms.
Example: Bay Window Bus 30x9.5
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/search.php

Click on a link.
To search the entire page Ctrl+F. A search box will appear in the right upper corner. Type in your search term and hit Enter.
Example: 30X9.5

Results
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8197041#8197041
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4522246#4522246

You might try and PM the above members and pick there brains.

Have a nice day
Tcash
zwartePiets
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

Does anyone run a 27x8.5-14 Kumho Road Venture on their bay. I was looking to see how they look and fit.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky FAQ Reply with quote

zwartePiets wrote:
Does anyone run a 27x8.5-14 Kumho Road Venture on their bay. I was looking to see how they look and fit.

I run that size, but a different make and model, with no ill effects. They fit perfectly.

Cooper Starfire 27x8.5r14LT

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/coo-51089/overview/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 181 of 198

Jump to: