Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AUGUST 1967 BAY, probably the oldest one?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flat44ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: AUGUST 1967 BAY, probably the oldest one? Reply with quote

i assume this is one of the oldest bay window doka's around the planet? it is currently up for sale in the sale section and we have been decoding the M plate which gives us a factory date of 21 AUGUST 1967. are there older ones alive?

M-Plate content
Modelyear 1968
Planned production date August 21 ,1967
Type of engine Type 1 (B0) - 1584cc, 37 kW (50 bhp DIN)
Type of transmission Manual 4-speed gearbox
Paint color L345 - Light Grey

Interior color (doorpanels and seats) Beige Leatherette
Destination Canary Islands, Las Palmas

M-CODE Description
056 Steering lock (1968)
090 Laminated windscreen (1968)
092 Gearbox with mountain ratio for mountainous areas
106 Upholstery material, special version (cloth)
156 One oil bath air filters with larger oil capacity (1968-1974) 181 Chrome hubcaps and rear view mirror outer
207 Tilt for twin cab Pick-up
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flat44ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Resto-raider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Doka. Would love to have one some day.
This must be one of the oldest anyway and most of these Doka's had a rough life and where crushed when they were too far gone.

Do you know the story behind it? I guess it spent all of it's live on the Canary Islands which should be a good thing. Lots of sun, although I see plenty of rust.
Good luck selling it.
flat44ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, the double cabs were pure working horses and are usually battered up.

in the canary islands, we have sun all year, no rain or snow (salt) on the roads, which means that our cars have generaly a very good conserved chasis. on the other hand, the damp in the morning, give those typical rust in the corners etc...

most of the doublecabs in the canary islands have been used for banana transport. Wink
Islero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of dokas from Canary Islands in Spain, my old BMW is from there too
Resto-raider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen your ad in the for sale section. I would post some more pictures on there if I were you. Pictures of the bad spots, the interior, the cargo floor, etc.

I would love to see more pictures of it. If I had the space for it I might come and pick it up myself, but that's not an option. Already have 2 projects on my hands.
It would look great though next to my '68 Deluxe.
flat44ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the original grey paint is the one you can see on the top of the door/nose where we scratched the new off Wink
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool, add it to this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195366

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
flat44ever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Very cool, add it to this: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=195366

done, thanks!
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: AUGUST 1967 BAY, probably the oldest one? Reply with quote

10 years since the last post here, but i just stumbled over this topic - and as i did some research - i'll leave my two cents here:

The oldest bay was already built on July 10th, 1967!
I contacted the owner of that car and the source for this exact day is not the "planned production date" which is stamped on the M-plate,
but the "date-of-build" which is listed on the official Birth Certificate that can be ordered straight from Volkswagen.
Interesting thing - his car's m-plate doesn't even have a date mentioned!

So if you are interested - have a read on my summary - linked below:

••••••••••

Further info - research about:
Summer 1967 - End of split bus production / start of early bay window bus production: (written in August 2020)

Link to the topic introduction:
https://austrosplit.com/en/research-vintage-vw/1967-earlybay-production/

And below are all 5 subpages of course also linked and in chronologically written order:

Alex.

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: AUGUST 1967 BAY, probably the oldest one? Reply with quote

I just stumbled over this thread again.

Since 2020 i collected quite a bit of data about the earliest 1968 buses and therefore was in contact with many owners of such cars.

As this thread originally was about the earliest 1968 double cab around, i just have to post here again:

Today i visited a double cab with an m-plate date of 17th of August, 1967.
It really is a huuuge project in really bad condition, incomplete and therefore not too expensive - and that's why i am tempted to buy it.

From the rumors during my research a while back, i also heard that in the UK there is a DC with a date of 7th of August. But i can't confirm this so far since all my attempts to get in touch with the owner over the years didn't succeed yet.

I wonder if there are any older (1968 model) crew cabs around. Think (older than the one i saw today)
According to all the submitted data to the m-plate decoder since ~ 2009, the car i looked at today is the oldest recorded early bay double cab (out of 2051 bays submitted with model year 1968).

Neither on facebook, nor on thesamba or other forums or the web in general i have found hints about earlier dokas yet.

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: