Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blink-blink-blink
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Blink-blink-blink Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm somewhat new around here, but thought I'd ask a question anyway. I'm working on a Berry Mini t and need to install a blinker switch set-up in it. The steering column mount is out because of lack of room. And one of those under the dash units will skin my knuckles all up when I shift. There is very limited dash space on this critter. Has anyone got any suggestions for a slick way of being legal? Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fifty-five
Samba Crash Test Dummy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a three position toggle switch. You can put it anywhere.
Mount so that it is switched left to right and the middle position is the cancelled position. That way you don't have to remember if up is left or right. You just have to be sure to cancel the signals yourself. My old rail was setup this way and worked fine.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggyblues
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: inspection states Reply with quote

some states require that your turn signals shut off automatically and will not allow you to use a 3 position switch so check that out before you go thru all the grief.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tcrdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the 3 position toggle switch and it works great. Use a 2 prong flasher or 3 if you want a warning light. Yes, I have driven several miles with a light flashing. I just claim to be practicing for retirement in Florida.

Good luck,
<><
TC
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks, and to you, TC, I'm getting old enough to pull that "practicing" thing off! Next thing is to get all this to work with single 1157 bulbs, tail, brake, signals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tcrdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I have is single 1157's. My lights were so abused and pitted I wound up soldering pigtails to each bulb because I couldn't find replacement bulb holders that would fit. Makes it a pain to change a burned out bulb but it works.

<><
TC
fifty-five
Samba Crash Test Dummy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcrdn wrote:
I used the 3 position toggle switch and it works great. Use a 2 prong flasher or 3 if you want a warning light. Yes, I have driven several miles with a light flashing. I just claim to be practicing for retirement in Florida.
Good luck,
<><
TC

Me too Embarassed , But I have a quite a few years before I go to Florida unless I win the lottery.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Santa Clarita Len
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Self cancelling signal switch Reply with quote

If you want self cancelling dash mounted switches with hazzard lights, try this site: http://www.tperformance.com/street_rod_store/electrical/turn-signal_kits/ It is the site of Total Performance, Inc. and I recently purchased this switch assembly and am in the process of installing it, they appear to be high quality which you would expect for the price.
A E Numan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark: You could use a turn signal switch from a 61 bug. They were made to work with a single 1157 bulb and would also fit the stock stearing colum. It would also be self cansiling.
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again guys. A.E. I can't use a column mounted switch because I've butchered the thing to get it close to the dash and welded on a quick disconnect hub. I'm 6'-3" and I'm sitting lay-down style in the Mini T, so sliding in under the dash without relocating my knee-caps is way up there on my to do list. If I ever figure out how to transfer pictures to the computer and post them, I'll have to show off my little "cartoon car".
seabeebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcrdn wrote:
All I have is single 1157's. My lights were so abused and pitted I wound up soldering pigtails to each bulb because I couldn't find replacement bulb holders that would fit. Makes it a pain to change a burned out bulb but it works.

<><
TC

they sell replacements at auto part store. some you just need to drill a hole and put it in . it has tabs to keep it there or remove you old bulb holder . replace with new. about 3$. I added 2 in my brake lights . added lights are bright at night also lets me have parking , brake and turn sig.

A better place to talk offroad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: