Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stroking a 36hp
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Stroking a 36hp Reply with quote

Hi, In my barndoor at present I have a oval 36hp engine, then OG bus engine is sitting siezed in my garage I would like to rebuild this engine for the bus with some modification for a little extra power, so am lookinf at stroking it a little. I know okrasa made a 69.5mm crank for there TSV and empi mad a 6mm over stock stroked crank, but I have little to no chance of getting one of them.
I remember reading somwhere a 356 crank is a possible, does anybody know details.

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you know of a GOOD crank grinder they should be able to weld and offset grind your current crank for more stroke, if you can find rods with a smaller big end diameter you can gain more stroke when offset grinding.
Instagram: @rismachine
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A porsche 356B crankshaft has 74mm stroke and should work.You will have to use porsche 912 rods also.Pistons from a '84 or so Harly-Davidson sportster,Kolbenschmidt 77mm.This will net you 1378cc. You might also want to port and pollish heads and use 1600 valves.Hope this helps you out. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sammyphsyco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDOG57 wrote:
Pistons from a '84 or so Harly-Davidson sportster,

Which year, that was a transitional era for HD from trouble head to evo.

http://www.aircooledresearch.com/ This guy sells B piston's in 88.5 mm for 90$, piston's only no cylinders. Says he builds sroker 36 hp's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GDOG57 wrote:
A porsche 356B crankshaft has 74mm stroke and should work.You will have to use porsche 912 rods also.Pistons from a '84 or so Harly-Davidson sportster,Kolbenschmidt 77mm.This will net you 1378cc. You might also want to port and pollish heads and use 1600 valves.Hope this helps you out. Laughing

Interesting combo, thats 74 is a hefty stroke, is there alot of clearencing required and is that harley piston the equiverlant of a B stroker?

how much wider would this engine be?

Thanks Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the case must be clearanced.The engine does not get much wider,no cutting involved.The pistons are like having "B" strokers.For more info on a motor like this contact:Steve Daniel at Daniel's machine shop in Augusta Maine.Sorry i dont have his phone number Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: