Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FYI: Portland Auto Wreckers has four Bays.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: FYI: Portland Auto Wreckers has four Bays. Reply with quote

Figured I'd pass word along to the local and semi-local Sambaistas as a heads-up so y'all can go get parts you might need while they're still there. I had a couple hours to kill in North/Northeast Portland this morning, so I went to PAW to nose around (for the locals: they're way out N Columbia west of Interstate).

They've got four Bays out there in the '73-79 range. A '73 Westy with most of the camping gear gone but a decent-looking top & canvas from what I could see. A '74 9-passenger (non-walkthrough) automatic, still has the A/T, most of the engine and the middle seat with pretty decent upholstery. Never seen a non-walkthrough automatic, whoever sent it there is an idiot. There's also a '77 or '78 passenger automatic with engine and overhead A/C unit, and another '77 or '78 passenger van 4-speed with no middle seat. If you go for the middle seat, be warned that the hold-down hardware wasn't there. I've got a set I "inherited" from a friend in the garage if you need it.

I scored a good thermostat w/cable & bracket, and a belly pan for under the nose to put on my '75 .. been needing those since I bought it two years ago. Also got ahold of some bits & pieces of Westy stuff I've been needing, curtain rods, table leg, front curtain. All for the low-low price of $15 .. plus $1 to get in and $1 for the Coke from the vending machine. Very Happy

Now as a reward for finding all that stuff, I get to clean it up and install it. Lucky me. I'm glad I went because of the parts I found and got for cheap .. but it was depressing to see those four there, especially the '74.

Good luck scrounging. Very Happy
IFBwax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tristessa!!!

We went over the junkyard today and perused his find of 4 bays.. and I came away with almost everything I was hoping to find.

I got an AFM, a distributor, some dash lights, some kind of plastic boot that tristessa told me is very rare and valuable... a door pull handle, and some dash screws and clips.. and a black coil!!! And all the parts are the exact ones for my bus!!!! (I'm using most of this stuff as emergency spares).

Thanks again!

Oh, total price.. 30 bucks.

I wish I would have had more time to look through their tools.

www.partypickle.blogspot.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IFBwax wrote:
some kind of plastic boot that tristessa told me is very rare and valuable

A good-condition S-boot for the FI system. I think "scarce" and "hard to find" are closer to what I meant. I know there's a few people running around with duct-tape-&-silicone patch jobs on theirs. Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: