Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Thing or not to Thing ??
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: A Thing or not to Thing ?? Reply with quote

hello all,
i know little to no-thing about things. I've currently moved from riverside, ca. to tulsa, ok. i sold my rag, & notch.. (i guess i should change my site name)

anyhow im really missing veedubs.. its been over 6 months, not a lot of vw action out here like there was in cali, but i have seen a few meets at a cafe, some around the roads here and there..

because of the road conditions, weather etc, i think i want a driver either a baja or a thing.. i really am leaning toward a thing, especially with the gas heater action..

what makes a thing tick, have a heartbeat??

how many options do they have available in the vw scene??

doors, windows, tops etc.. can you just pop off the doors, are there solid roll up windows..

what up w/that??

anyone??
sadiegirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: to thing or not to thing Reply with quote

VW 181 Facts & Figures I think this site might help you if nothing else it might send you in the right direction. The first time I saw a thing it was on ebay and it was love at first site it took me about a year to find one cause in san antonio texas you dont see them driving around or at least I havent through a customer I found one that belong to an old man who had passed away and his son had it and didnt want it . After he died the car sat in the drive way and never moved so the son said he didnt know if it would start well guess what it did so now I owen it and that was about 3 or 4 years ago and used it as my play car then one day when I was driving my other car which is a cadillac sls a kid ran a red light and ran right into me my car was in the shop for a month when I got it back I gave it to my son and now my thing is my every day car and hadnt had any problems till now but hopefully the mechanic will fix the problem the only other thing I can say about the thing is it is real hard to find anyone to work on it
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: to thing or not to thing Reply with quote

sadiegirl wrote:
the only other thing I can say about the thing is it is real hard to find anyone to work on it

We are lucky here in So CA, I can walk to six different shops that have no problem with air cooled VW's. I think there might even be more shops than Things down here.

But the beauty of Things is working on them yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea but in bellflower, YUCK !!

i was born there.. kaiser hospital on gage..

lived and watched so cal go down the toilet..

it aint what it used to be thats for sure..

go to the beach, hazards everywhere, unsafe swim, surf cond.. etc..

when i was a kid you couldn't beat so cal..

perspectives change, thats for sure..

people argue everythings so local and convienant, ok but it takes an hour or more to get anywhere.. go to the emergency room and see how long it takes for them to see you..

so cal. has the vw scene (whats left of it, but thats about it)

rant and roll,
p.s. send me some parts Laughing
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are a love or hate vehicle. They are a type 1, so if you are familur with Beetles you are familur with Things. They do have some differences. For example, a soft top with removable plastic windows instead of roll up up glass. The one thing I don't like about them is the high sill to get over getting in and out. I find that in wet weather, I almost always get my pants wet. However, I love my Thing. So I live with it.
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: LOVE MY THING-A-LING, RATTLE & HUM Reply with quote

I agree with Ted. I truly enjoy my 71 Thing, it's simplicity and all the small hassles that go with it. Getting in & out can be a hassle, especially as you lose flexibility.......so don't lose it. My wife says "it is like riding in a large four seat go-kart".....and I say "yeah, but the ground clearance is better" Laughing .

BTW Ted what the heck is "familur" Razz.
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
n0limdon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the german way to spell familiar? Ha!
MedicTed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: LOVE MY THING-A-LING, RATTLE & HUM Reply with quote

orignuthinman wrote:
BTW Ted what the heck is "familur" Razz.

That's before the coffee has really kicked in. Laughing
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i'll check the 181 facts sticky.

let me restate my question w/ greater detail, im more concerned with:

1. Availability to body parts
2. are there interchangeable parts, upgrades, ie side curtains,tops, racks??
3. are the parts priced higher like my notch was do to supply/demand?
4. does the gas heater rock? i see them in all

MOST IMPORTANT !!

is there anyone reading this that is selling their THING in the tulsa surrounding areas..

as id love to check one out with greater detail..

btw, my wife hates them...

all the more reason to buy Laughing

peace and chicken grease,
rob
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Availability to body parts
Everything is pretty much available. But often expensive. Still cheaper to repair than a new car.

2. are there interchangeable parts, upgrades, ie side curtains,tops, racks??
Stock and replacement parts available. Many factory upgrades like racks, side windows, hardtops. Many suspension parts are available upgraded.

3. are the parts priced higher like my notch was do to supply/demand?
Yes.

4. does the gas heater rock? i see them in all
Yes, but not stock in 1974. We bought one used for our 74.

I think they are better than my old jeep, with twice the gas mileage.

links:
http://www.thethingshop.com/

http://www.vwispwest.com/4.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
63 vwnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've done alot of ' dealings w/ alex/anthony @ isp 'pimpride'..

i will say, their prices differ.. (watch out)i thought they were mainly type 3 guys, so if their dealing w/ alot of thing stuff it must be more on the rarer side..

im almost certain i want a thing, as apposed to a baja..the only drawback for me is the parts situation, as i had an original early notch that was impossible to get parts for, 64 and up there are parts all day long..

can you put paddle tires on a stock thing without any suspension work?

rob
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first seen ISP on ebay. They are selling a thing exhaust at times with some other general parts.

There are some aftermarket fenders that give more clearance that would probably give more room for paddles. I think a thing is heavier than bugs/baja.

Thinking about it the thing parts may be easier, they were made much later than type 3's. Things were made in Mexico for years. Still a lot of German parts as well. A lot of German parts are military, usually little to no difference.
A baja would be easier to get in and out of, the thing has a high threshold.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: