Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct radio for 65?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jburleigh13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Correct radio for 65? Reply with quote

Hi,

I want to buy an original radio for my 65 -- its 12V, so which should I buy -- Saphire I, II, III? Blaupunkt?

Also, I noticed lots of them on Samba don't have knobs -- are these difficult to find?

Thanks,

Julie
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sapphire I would be correct for 65. So would Sapphire II, although these are quite rare and hard to find these days, and therefore really pricy. I believe a Blaupunk Frankfurt for example would be correct, but I'm not completely sure.Original radio knobs for Sapphires are pretty hard to find, yes. For a 65 you would need gray (not ivory) knobs.
1969 BMW 2002
1959 Ford F100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radios were dealer installed so there is any number that are "Correct". Sapphire I was the most common and it has the proper off white buttons. Sapphire III was 1966 and has chrome buttons & knobs and they got a trim plate with a black center. There were 6v units.
I used a Sapphire V out of a 1967 in my 12v '65 but with the all silver & chrome trim plate. When I found a junk Sapphire I , I swapped the face plate fo now is says "Sapphire I"
patrickm2213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure about the grey knobs? Mine has ivory knobs that match the rest of the knobs on the dash. And as the card shows it was put in the my 65 when it only had 4 miles on her.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is unusual to have ivorys. 1965s have silver beige by specification. The ivory ended in '64. There is only a subtle distinction between the colors. You almost cannot tell unless you put the ivory right next to the silver beige (which is a reeaally light grey). I noticed your grab bar is original, so perhaps you have a very early production '65 and the knob bin at the factory still had some left over ivory components that landed on your car. The dealer could have easily swapped radio knobs to match. (IMHO anyway...)

-Kent

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Patrick, if you put your turn signal arm back to horizontal and tighten the screw on the underside of the collar it wont wander around every time you engage it... I discovered that not too long ago...

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone knew how to contact Nick Stokes who used to operate a VW radio repair service on the East Coast you would find him to be reasonable and highly competent.... I scored an early 6v AM/FM from him..

His website which I am unable to locate features pictures and descriptions covering all model years along with the higher end optional shortwave radios ...... Nick used to post on a vintagvw website and Glenn may know how to contact him if that site still exsists.... Good luck

Jim-
patrickm2213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it was a very early 65, if you can see it on the tag it was sold in 64. Never though about the singnal arm being wroung has never once moved and I know what you mean by the wandering as my uncles 64 is pretty bad about that. Either way though the colors on my car work together pretty well, and just about everything is orginal. Need to take some better interior pics., but can't think of any part in there that's not ivory

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maximus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 65 came with a Blaupunkt. When I bought it the guy said that he bought it off the original owner and it was all original. Dosn't work though, for whatever reason, but sure looks cool! And I think the knobs are silver beige by the sounds of it. They seem like ivory but not quite.
Howard66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a Blaupunkt, the Frankfurt's are the best as they have FM. If you do, make sure the buttons read LMMUU rather than LMKUU as they changed in early 1966.
1962 Austin Mini Seven
1970 Triumph Spitfire IV
1965 Mobylette SP50
1985 Sinclair C5
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nimbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick Stokes - [email protected]

http://homepage.mac.com/stokester/dub_tunes/PhotoAlbum5.html
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Blaupunkt Frankfurt in my 65. Not strictly correct (I got it from a European radio restorer so it's a European model) but boy does it look nice, works on AM and FM, takes either 6v or 12v, and it goes well with a stock interior.
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickm2213 wrote:
Sure about the grey knobs? Mine has ivory knobs that match the rest of the knobs on the dash. And as the card shows it was put in the my 65 when it only had 4 miles on her.

I don't think those are ivory knobs, they look like silver beige (gray) knobs. Ivory knobs have a more yellow color. These seem to match your dash knobs perfectly.

Your car is beautiful, by the way. But I supposed you already know that. Very Happy
1969 BMW 2002
1959 Ford F100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here we go.

ivory knobs

silver beige (gray) knobs

1969 BMW 2002
1959 Ford F100
vwgirl1961a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '65 came with a Blaupunkt too. I bought her from original owner back in 1995. It always worked up until about 3 years ago. I never took time to find out why because I don't listen to the radio and besides it's am only. I think I will try to find out why it doesn't work.

maximus wrote:
My 65 came with a Blaupunkt. When I bought it the guy said that he bought it off the original owner and it was all original. Dosn't work though, for whatever reason, but sure looks cool! And I think the knobs are silver beige by the sounds of it. They seem like ivory but not quite.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Correct radio for 65? Reply with quote

There is a modern circuit board that is being sold that converts an early radio to both AM & FM. Small enough that often the radio does not have to have the original innards gutted out. Any good radio repair shop should be able to get that and install it for you.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Correct radio for 65? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
There is a modern circuit board that is being sold that converts an early radio to both AM & FM. Small enough that often the radio does not have to have the original innards gutted out.

These guys install modern AM/FM circuitry into vintage radios but make changes to the controls as well. Plastic dials with frequency numbers painted or etched on them (like the Sapphire radios) can't be altered, so you're stuck with only seeing the AM band. They can also add connections for iPod, iPhone, CD player, etc. This doesn't come cheap though...they charge $385 just for a basic conversion Shocked

http://www.turnswitch.com/radio1.htm
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct radio for 65? Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the original radio installed by the dealer in my '65 for reference on type and knob color.

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Correct radio for 65? Reply with quote

I want to find an AM/FM radio for my 71 Ghia. My car interior looks more like earlier 60s and I want to stay with that look. I am considering the new repro radios.

However I am curious about this radio. I like how it looks. With two chrome knobs, it would look even better. But it's for sale in Germany.

Would this European radio work for normal AM FM use in the U.S.?

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Correct radio for 65? Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
I want to find an AM/FM radio for my 71 Ghia. My car interior looks more like earlier 60s and I want to stay with that look. I am considering the new repro radios.

However I am curious about this radio. I like how it looks. With two chrome knobs, it would look even better. But it's for sale in Germany.

Would this European radio work for normal AM FM use in the U.S.?

Yes assuming the radio still functions correctly it will work here. However be aware that the FM side will top out at 104 MHZ (see on the dial?) in Europe that’s as high as their FM band went, here in the USA it goes higher.

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: