Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

Sunroof53 wrote:
I have just bought a 1970 model bus . I have never seen a UK bus with so may extras....

congratulations - but also looks like a lot of work...

What kind of map light was installed? HELLA? In black (like in Police an ambulance bay windows) - or chrome?
https://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/index.php?de-maplight
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sunroof53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

Here’s the map light . Just black with a flexible end . I have not taken it off so no idea on the make . For a UK bus it’s not too bad . It came with all the panels including some NOS ones .
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
As it sits today.

Notchboy, did you ever make the scans of this thing? It would be awesome to have on like a coffee table or something.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

he made scans, and the first one is sitting on his ping pong table or pool table gathering dust. He wants to make one first, and bask in the samba glow.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

My bus came with oem vw branded windshield wipers. That's got to be kind of rare.

otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

rusty busty wrote:
My bus came with oem vw branded windshield wipers. That's got to be kind of rare.

Nice

Just a regular guy
DougieFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

Any interest in the Coleman air compressor from my '74 Westy? Is it pretty rare? I found a post on here from 7 years ago but nothing recent. Looks like the wiring has been hacked by PO but it has the original silver socket connector. End panels are both broken off but still have them.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

The blue pumps are hard to find and most times missing from the 74-75 Westfalia campers. Im sure someone with one will want and need it.

Did you see this? Look further down the page for even more info.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7552529#7552529

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

I am interested, sent you PM
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

I also have one I would sell but both ends have cracked but its all there.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
dames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

Sunroof53 wrote:
I have just bought a 1970 model bus . I have never seen a UK bus with so may extras . I have a lot of history with the bus and it all seems to suggest they were added from new . The bus was being restored by the previous owner but he sadly passed away . It had been partly dismantled ready for welding but I have all the parts .
It is a Rhd twin sliding door model with a factory sliding sunroof. Here is a list of the extras .
Deluxe model with chrome waist trim , window and bumper trim ,small euro looking overriders. Side pull out step, mudflaps, eberspacher heater with all ducting into rear area . Intermittent wiper switch ? , chrome front badge ,trip speedometer,front seats have different colour inserts , towbar and reversing lights . Probably forgot something but I’ll try and add photos later .

WOW twin slider sunroof in rhd!
Never seen one before and all those m-codes!
Good find.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

I'm not sure whether the Hella 2000 hazard flasher lamp as illustrated in the 1975 Hella accessories catalogue would qualify, but somewhere at home, I have one in its original expanded polystyrene & cardboard packaging.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/6_75_hella_accessories.php

For those of you who desparately seek period-correct front & rear fog lamps and switches, here are the catalogue entries with part numbers.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcrjacob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

I have a hella rear fog light nos in the box... never going to use it.

My M-Plate Decode:

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=3447
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

rcrjacob wrote:
I have a hella rear fog light nos in the box... never going to use it.

Rear fog lights are a VERY IMPORTANT safety feature on an vehicle used in territories that have mist or fog, so if this is the case where you live or travel, I would implore you to install it (or preferably a matched pair) at the earliest opportunity. Confused

Another accessory which might be regarded as relatively rare, are the Swedish made, SVD / SWW windscreen wash-wiper blades, of the type that I have used on my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 and 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 "HL Special" since the mid-1980s. These are so MUCH BETTER than having conventional bodywork-mounted windscreen-washer jets.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/svd_sww_wash_wiper_blades_sweden.php

Here are some photographs of my Swedish made, universal SWW wash/wiper blade kit, with spare wiper blade rubbers, plus a few other commonly available clips and alternative sized grommets, which enabled me to neatly install the kit, on my 1973 VW Type 2.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

rcrjacob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

I no longer have a bay. Crying or Very sad

I do have a rare fog light/rear fog switch as well.

My M-Plate Decode:

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

vworwhat wrote:
Absolutely no damage to these unreinforced mounts. Guess I was just lucky... how do reinforced mounts of a 1200kg payload baywindow actually look like? Has anyone ever seen them? Are there any pics available?

I don't know whether the rear mounts were reinforced, but here is a picture from the parts catalogue, of the genuine VW suspension damper with concentric coil spring.

VW OEM, heavy-duty rear suspension damper with concentric coil spring (VW part No. 211 513 031 M), as fitted to 1972~79 VW Type 2, uprated delivery vans, with 1·2 tonne payload.

Monroe "Load Leveler" (part No. LL665) heavy-duty rear damper with concentric coil spring, fitted to my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan

From the top, the various suspension dampers are:

Standard, original equipment, front damper, for 1972~79 VW Type 2s. This is the factory-fitted one from my British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2.

Monroe "Van Magnum" heavy-duty, "Radialmatic" front damper (Monroe part No. V 2006), for 1972~79 VW Type 2s. This has been retro-fitted my British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2.

Standard, original equipment, rear damper, for 1972~79 VW Type 2s. This is the factory-fitted one from my British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2.

Monroe "Load Leveler" heavy-duty, "Radialmatic" rear damper & concentric, supplementary, progressive-rate coil spring (Monroe part No. LL 665), for 1972~79 VW Type 2s. This has been retro-fitted my British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2. With the rear wheels off the ground, the "Load Leveler", is just a bolt-on installation, with no need to compress the coil spring.

Nigel A. Skeet

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

rcrjacob wrote:

So, which type of "rare" fog-lamp switch do you have?

Possibly this one, which is grossly overpriced at $140! Shocked

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2348477

Something closer to US$14 seems more reasonable to me.

Nigel A. Skeet

rcrjacob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
rcrjacob wrote:

Yes it is that same switch. Bought it from Switzerland. I was seeking rare things for my bay. Had that, a BA6 heater working, trip odometer, clock... and a lot more.

My M-Plate Decode:

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

rcrjacob wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
rcrjacob wrote:

Yes it is that same switch. Bought it from Switzerland. I was seeking rare things for my bay. Had that, a BA6 heater working, trip odometer, clock... and a lot more.

If I could find a double-throw switch like that (i.e. with VW Type 3 & 4 style switch knob - stepped, truncated cone shape) at a "reasonable price" or swop it for one of my triple-throw fog-lamp switches, I would substitute a VW Type 3 & 4 heated rear-window switch lens, and use the switch for the electrically-heated front window I intend to retro-fit in the future.

Hence, when I finally get around to retro-fitting the electrically heated rear window, I shall have upper (front window) & lower (rear window) matching switches close to the fresh-air outlet to the right of my RHD instrument binnacle.

I fitted my probably "rarer" cross-over-arm, pantograph rear window wiper system, for its utility value rather than its rarity. I also sought the "ambulance fans" and headlamp washer system for the same reason.

Nigel A. Skeet

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Page 101 of 105

Jump to: