Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

Nigel, did you drill the front panel of your bus for the headlight washers?

Just a regular guy
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:

I haven't done so yet Eric. Why do you ask?

I still need to determine the required position for the holes and their diameter.

I also need to determine the required position and orientation of the headlamp-washer pump; assuming that I shall be using the same lengths of hose as described in the parts catalogue.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
otiswesty wrote:

I still need to determine the required position for the holes and their diameter.

I also need to determine the required position and orientation of the headlamp-washer pump; assuming that I shall be using the same lengths of hose as described in the parts catalogue.

Otiswesty, quit being a weenie and just do it. Wink Laughing You don't like my method of "looks like its right about ....... here?".

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
otiswesty wrote:

Otiswesty, quit being a weenie and just do it. Wink Laughing You don't like my method of "looks like its right about ....... here?".

Jason, that approach is okay with hindsight when things go all right without any oversights or problems. I try to anticipate the potential problems in order to avoid them!

One of my acquaintances down the road from me, has a Swedish Army specification, 1975 VW Type 2, so when it's convenient for both of us, I shall check things on his van, of which of course I shall notify you all! Smile

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

Last edited by NASkeet on Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
notchboy wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
otiswesty wrote:

Jason, that approach is okay with hindsight when things go all right without any oversights or problems. I try to anticipate the potential problems in order to avoid them!

One of my acquaintances down the road from me, has Swedish Army specification, 1975 VW Type 2, so when it's convenient for both of us, I shall check things on his van, of which of course I shall notify you all! Smile

I appreciate that methodology for sure, with brain surgery or even making the perfect Pho broth, but not necessarily for two holes. Laughing Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
notchboy wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
otiswesty wrote:

One of my acquaintances down the road from me, has Swedish Army specification, 1975 VW Type 2, so when it's convenient for both of us, I shall check things on his van, of which of course I shall notify you all! Smile

I appreciate that methodology for sure, with brain surgery or even making the perfect Pho broth, but not necessarily for two holes. Laughing Wink

What method did you use to determine the required position for the designer dents!?! Shocked

Nigel A. Skeet

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

Those are my street credit marks Cool Laughing Came with the bus as part of her torrid past Twisted Evil

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Those are my street credit marks Cool Laughing Came with the bus as part of her torrid past Twisted Evil

Now that you've got the "rare" headlamp washers, when are you going to upgrade with the probably "rarer" SVD/SWW wash-wiper blades!?! Wink

Nigel A. Skeet

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

I'm still searching for the M-code for the rare Pencil Sharpener in the dash...
Specifically for giving yo girl the digits Cool

Happy Friday guys

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Now that you've got the "rare" headlamp washers, when are you going to upgrade with the probably "rarer" SVD/SWW wash-wiper blades!?! Wink

Those are an odd money for sure, but its the blade that makes them special right? The water delivery is built into the blade? If so, you will be hard pressed to find a replacement, no?

I did find aftermarket nozzles/jets that can be clipped onto the wiper blade frame and have water run to it. A modern approach to the blade version.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/arm-mounted-windscreen-washer-double-jet-black

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Those are an odd money for sure, but its the blade that makes them special right? The water delivery is built into the blade? If so, you will be hard pressed to find a replacement, no?

I did find aftermarket nozzles/jets that can be clipped onto the wiper blade frame and have water run to it. A modern approach to the blade version.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/arm-mounted-windscreen-washer-double-jet-black

These might certainly be a future option, although I might resort to the car & van breakers' yards to see if I could get some second-hand SWF washers from a Mercedes Vito van or MAN truck.

Products from Carbuilder.com tend to be rather expensive, but consulting their catalogue (of which I have an old paper edition) does give some insight into what sorts of things are available.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/CatalogueRequest

Black Windscreen Washer Double Jet IVA OK

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/windscreen-washer-double-jet-iva-ok-black

Windscreen Washer Tube 90 Degree Bulkhead Joiner Black

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/windscreen-washer-tube-90-degree-bulkhead-joiner-black

I have several sets of spare blade rubbers for my SVD/SWW wiper blades, so providing they don't deteriorate in storage, I should have at least a decade or so before i need any more!?! Cool

Given that the blade-rubber is simply an extrusion, it should be possible to make an extrusion-die to reproduce the blade-rubber's profile.

The perforations can be made using a pin-drill bit of circa 0·5 mm diameter, which I have done in the past to increase the number of perforations, to further improve the uniformity of water distribution ahead of the blade's leading edge.

In the past, I have suggested other design modifications to the manufacturer to improve performance and durability, but never got any reply.

Nigel A. Skeet

otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

I'm not sure my headlights need washing, but I think I'll just go with the optional T2 wind screen washer jets, rather than that wiper arm mounted funny business.
Still looking for a nice set for sale tho.

Just a regular guy
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
... but I think I'll just go with the optional T2 wind screen washer jets...

These are only for police cars (in Germany green or green/white in the time of the bay window),
these may be sometimes under attack by paint bombs and need more power at the washer jets. Wink
See: https://www.bullimuseum.eu/fahrzeuge/typ-23-bereitschaftspolizei

Headlamp washers M 288 used since 1974 by Volkswagen e.g. in Sweden (North Europe with a lot of snow and mud) - but not common in Germany and other countries:
(in combination with bigger reservoir as black plastic right kick panel 211 955 449)

http://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/index.php?de-books-brochures-vw-se
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

rsbadura wrote:
otiswesty wrote:

These are only for police cars (in Germany green or green/white in the time of the bay window),

Yes this is the same car from the Bulli museum that I took a picture of as well.
I saw it in the PS.Speicher museum where it was on loan.
Please let me know if you know of a set of the large washer jets for sale. Sometimes they throw eggs and such here in Portland.

Just a regular guy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
rsbadura wrote:
otiswesty wrote:

Yes this is the same car from the Bulli museum that I took a picture of as well.
I saw it in the PS.Speicher museum where it was on loan.
Please let me know if you know of a set of the large washer jets for sale. Sometimes they throw eggs and such here in Portland.

I will fly up there, pay for lunch and beer at the Lucky Lab just to help assist you in cutting what Im sure will be "Big Ass Holes". Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:

And those big black warts are in improvement how? Am I missing something?
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
And those big black warts are in improvement how? Am I missing something?

As I said, against e.g. paint bombs... and other things like eggs, mud ... thrown by protesters.
If you need urgent a lot of water on the whole windscreen - and not only a drop of water and wipers smear over this Wink

This is not a normal or common police car as e.g. at a traffic accident. This is used with its speakers in case of political demonstrations - emagine in the seventies thousands of people against war as Vietnam, nuclear weapons, nuclear power and its scrap, ... police with other cars as e.g. big water cannons on trucks and hundrets or thousands of police men in protective clothing... helicopters over them... then you have the scenario for this car. It did not stand with its speakers in the first row, because of missing window grilles (or: there are some brackets, may be removable - and may be these were not combatible with the standard washers jets), that some other police car need to have.

These screen washer jets are not mounted on normal police bay windows. I guess they come from other vehicles like trucks - but never seen them as on this car - so extremely rare, but not from VW. The bay window was transformed to a police car by "Franz Xaver Kögel" company, https://www.koegel.com/, that since 1934 till today build special trucks and trailers.

My few pictures from inside the cabine, I see part of a standard kick panel - not the swedish extra large water reservoir. But I cannot see at my pictures the water pump or standard reservoir or what mounted instead of them.

regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

God must have been on leave when those were invented. That is f-ugly.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

I deleted abscate post because in fact I was on leave trying to convince Mike Pence that Corona isn’t a beer.

-God

Last edited by Abscate on Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:00 am; edited 2 times in total
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

Quote:

Looks like the over riders were installed a little bit too high... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Page 102 of 105

Jump to: