Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

M221 Vent wings
M222 Fixed wings

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

Yes. There is an M-Code to add opening vent wings. Its a stand alone M-Code as well as combined package M-Codes for an example - US Export Buses.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

rebel1968 wrote:
sebgi1 wrote:
I brought home a 69 tintop part bus this weekend. Came with this rare (?) fixed front windows. Sorry for the night pics Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All australian buses had fixed quarter windows so not rare at all

British specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2s also had fixed (i.e. non-openable) cab-door quarter-light windows, and I suspect this was the norm in Europe too; unless one specified the openable variety as an extra-cost option, or possibly one had the ultra-luxury version of the Microbus.

Also note that British specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2s also lacked the electrically-heated rear window, padded dashboard, glove-box cover, laminated front windscreen and other luxuries such as vacuum brake-servo assistance on the 1971~79 VW 1600 Type 2 with front disc brakes; which typically require both feet on the brake pedal to perform an emergency stop! Shocked

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net

Last edited by NASkeet on Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:25 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

sebgi1 wrote:
I brought home a 69 tintop part bus this weekend. Came with this rare (?) fixed front windows. Sorry for the night pics Rolling Eyes

Wow... a non A/C bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
napat wrote:
rebel1968 wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
napat wrote:
is the RHD padded dashboard a hard to find one?

I live in Great Britain, where my family and I have had a 1968~79 VW Type 2 since January 1975, and I have never seen a RHD padded dashboard! Shocked

There is no RHD padded dashboard listed in the book of factory-fitted options and M-codes. There are also other factory-fitted options which were NOT available for RHD vehicles

lhd and rhd dash padding is the same no difference

No, not the same. The driver side for early bay , the padded and dashboard are both notched due to steering wheel housing.

And the dash top is quite different, with the grand handle and curved cut out for the gauge area.

not the same

LHD is 211 857 205B
RHD is 214 857 205 and 214 857 205 B

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
My British specification, 1973 model-year, VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan (manufactured in circal late-August or early-September 1972) was factory-fitted with the earlier style speedometer and other instrumentation, having the inner chromium-plated trim ring.

My instrument cluster is marked: 802 & 7.72 (i.e. July 1972) | 21/250 | 214 957 023 ARL

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

napat wrote:
rebel1968 wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
napat wrote:

I live in Great Britain, where my family and I have had a 1968~79 VW Type 2 since January 1975, and I have never seen a RHD padded dashboard! Shocked

There is no RHD padded dashboard listed in the book of factory-fitted options and M-codes. There are also other factory-fitted options which were NOT available for RHD vehicles

No, not the same. The driver side for early bay , the padded and dashboard are both notched due to steering wheel housing.

And the dash top is quite different, with the grand handle and curved cut out for the gauge area.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

rsbadura wrote:
sebgi1 wrote:
I brought home a 69 tintop part bus this weekend. Came with this rare (?) fixed front windows.

In the German price list for model '69 (and later) the fixed windows are standard for all models,
except the L(uxury) Bus model with opening cab vent wings for free as standard (for all other including standard Bus only an option M 507).
So nothing rare here in Europe - rather common and standard equipment.

Only "rare" in North America where opening ones were standard equipment on all models.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

sebgi1 wrote:
I brought home a 69 tintop part bus this weekend. Came with this rare (?) fixed front windows.

In the German price list for model '69 (and later) the fixed windows are standard for all models,
except the L(uxury) Bus model with opening cab vent wings for free as standard (for all other including standard Bus only an option M 507).
So nothing rare here in Europe - rather common and standard equipment.
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
napat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

rebel1968 wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
napat wrote:

rebel1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
napat wrote:

rebel1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

sebgi1 wrote:

All australian buses had fixed quarter windows so not rare at all
rebel1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
napat wrote:

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimneyfish wrote:
MPH speedo with trip reset odometer (NOS).

Part number: 211 957 057 C

Unit date stamped 11.73 (November 1973).

The 'mid bay' grey face correct for model years 1973-1975 late bay window (i.e. Type 2 production dates 1st August 1972 through to 31st July 1975).

The same period KMH speedo with trip reset odometer.

Part number? (Ratwell lists 211 957 055 D as a possibility).

Unit date stamped 2.73 (February 1973).

Side by side (Note the different speedo needles):

My British specification, 1973 model-year, VW 1600 Type 2 Westfalia Continental motor-caravan (manufactured in circal late-August or early-September 1972) was factory-fitted with the earlier style speedometer and other instrumentation, having the inner chromium-plated trim ring.

Nigel A. Skeet

sebgi1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Does the VIN on the M plate match the number in the back?

Yep!

Dogs are the most precious and valuable possession of mankind. VWs are second!

'73 Neptune blue safare camper
'71 Neptune blue tintop
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

Could have had the doors swapped, or just the vents. 20+ years ago you could find a Euro spec bus in most wrecking yards, that drive across Canada was on the bucket list of many Germans. When they were done the already partially rotten bus wasn't worth shipping home, most got sold locally before they boarded a plane for home and lots of them didn't survive the new owners very long. Maybe a PO of yours found a parts donor that arrived here in such a way.

Even a lowly panel van delivered anywhere in North America came standard with opening cab vent wings (and a pile of other things), it was part of the NA spec package. Does the VIN on the M plate match the number in the back?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
sebgi1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

M-plate says delivered in Quebec (KQ) but no code for the vent … may be from an other bus…

'71 Neptune blue tintop
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

Yeah, quite common in Europe, but not North America, likely a camper some tourists from the Continent shipped over and left there after touring.

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

Yep pretty rare for US and you.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sebgi1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

'71 Neptune blue tintop
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 105

Jump to: