Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Quote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like the over riders were installed a little bit too high... Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing EXACTLY

"I'll take the misplaced, overpriced Over Riders for $800 Alex"

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

rsbadura wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
And those big black warts are in improvement how? Am I missing something?

As I said, against e.g. paint bombs... and other things like eggs, mud ... thrown by protesters.
If you need urgent a lot of water on the whole windscreen - and not only a drop of water and wipers smear over this Wink

This is not a normal or common police car as e.g. at a traffic accident. This is used with its speakers in case of political demonstrations - emagine in the seventies thousands of people against war as Vietnam, nuclear weapons, nuclear power and its scrap, ... police with other cars as e.g. big water cannons on trucks and hundrets or thousands of police men in protective clothing... helicopters over them... then you have the scenario for this car. It did not stand with its speakers in the first row, because of missing window grilles (or: there are some brackets, may be removable - and may be these were not combatible with the standard washers jets), that some other police car need to have.

These screen washer jets are not mounted on normal police bay windows. I guess they come from other vehicles like trucks - but never seen them as on this car - so extremely rare, but not from VW. The bay window was transformed to a police car by "Franz Xaver Kögel" company, https://www.koegel.com/, that since 1934 till today build special trucks and trailers.

My few pictures from inside the cabine, I see part of a standard kick panel - not the swedish extra large water reservoir. But I cannot see at my pictures the water pump or standard reservoir or what mounted instead of them.

regards,

I can only imagine the stuff they were preparing this bus for. The washers, as you say look like they are from something else. We can see the cowl adapter in this shot to better place these to the body curve.

What kind of water tank was it? The Sweedish one is big, but not big enough for the action this bus would see. Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
molenari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
I'm not sure my headlights need washing, but I think I'll just go with the optional T2 wind screen washer jets, rather than that wiper arm mounted funny business.

They weren't exactly optional by VW. The Mcodes of this bus could all be translated, no unknown codes. So I think they were installed afterwards by the company that did the police conversion.

Here the codes are explained in German (link previously posted by rsbadura)
https://www.bullimuseum.eu/fahrzeuge/typ-23-bereitschaftspolizei

For the English version I refer to page 101 of our book (that I wrote with Alexander Prinz) Smile

otiswesty wrote:
Still looking for a nice set for sale tho.

I knew someone would come with a question like this some day Very Happy
To help you with your search I took some detailed pics at the Maikäfertreffen 2017 and uploaded them. Here they are:

And a close up of the partnr. So you can Google it and hopefully you get more hits than just this message in which i mention the partnr Laughing :

601 860 00 47

It appears to be a Mercedes Benz part and was made by Hella.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=2005504

The '601' in the part number probably means it was used on a Mercedes Benz type 601. It's a late 70ties van. Although I don't see these big washer on old pics of these vans:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_TN

Good luck on your quest for these jets!
'68 panelvan, '70 kombi, '71 panelvan, '76 crew cab (German army), '77 panelvan, '78 kombi, '78 microbus (Champagne Edition II), '78 highroof panelvan (German mail, parting out), '79 panelvan automatic, '79 panelvan (armoured money transporter), '68 Karmann Ghia type 34.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

LOL
I wouldn't put those on my bus, just pullin all ya'lls thongs up in the crack a bit

The water tank in the police bus was standard size, unbelievably

Just a regular guy

Last edited by otiswesty on Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

molenari wrote:
The '601' in the part number probably means it was used on a Mercedes Benz type 601. It's a late 70ties van. Although I don't see these big washer on old pics of these vans:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_TN

Good luck on your quest for these jets!

I believe they were used as headlight washers on the Mercedes vans

Just a regular guy
molenari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
I believe they were used as headlight washers on the Mercedes vans

I searched for a picture of those headlmap washers. They appear to be rare on that type of van. But here's one:
source: https://www.car.info/en-se/mercedes-benz/tn/tn-10063250

Seems to match the ones on the German Police van.
'68 panelvan, '70 kombi, '71 panelvan, '76 crew cab (German army), '77 panelvan, '78 kombi, '78 microbus (Champagne Edition II), '78 highroof panelvan (German mail, parting out), '79 panelvan automatic, '79 panelvan (armoured money transporter), '68 Karmann Ghia type 34.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

Thanks for your great pic of the part number on that hard to see surface. Solved a mystery for me.
I wonder if they were made for the Swedish market only like the T2 and T3 headlight washers or perhaps just a seldom ordered option. That looks like a Swedish website that you linked the picture from.

I do have a set of the black rubber headlight washer bumper over riders for my T2b, but I prefer the VWoA painted steel version on my bus. The big tank and electric pump are still nice for washing the windshield though, a nice modern convenience in a period and model type correct product.

For those averse to drilling washer tube/foot ventilator holes in the front nose of their bus, there appears to be enough clearance to run a hose up to the nozzle from underneath the body between the bumper over rider and the bumper.

Just a regular guy
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

checking ebay for fun, here is the water rez for the police washers. Wink
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Bus-Bay-Window-Vintage...SwUMpdpI2X
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
checking ebay for fun, here is the water rez for the police washers. Wink
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-Bus-Bay-Window-Vintage...SwUMpdpI2X

Mystery solved!!! Laughing

Just a regular guy
molenari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
The water tank in the police bus was standard size, unbelievably

I haven't looked inside this bus so I don't know the actual construction of the window washer. But I can't imagine the standard reservoir would be used for these powerful nozzles. The driver would be without water and water pressure in no time. Not cool when your windshield is covered with paint while facing a hostile crowd.

The regular tank only holds 1,5 liter, the original bay window headlamp washer tank holds 8 liters. The tank of my 1982 'headlamp washer equiped' VW Passat GL holds even 10 liters!
So I bet the Mercedes version would hold a similar amount of water and needed an electrical pump. It is probably hidden somewhere in the cab of this bay window police van. If I ever get the chance: I will look inside a Police van like this, take a picture of the tank and share it with the group Smile

otiswesty wrote:
I wonder if they were made for the Swedish market only like the T2 and T3 headlight washers or perhaps just a seldom ordered option. That looks like a Swedish website that you linked the picture from.

Yes, I think is it a Swedish page. I specifically searched for Swedish buses and it was hard to find a picture of this type of MB-bus with headlamp washers.

I think the headlamp washers were requiered in Sweden from about 1974 onwards. The option (M288) was introduced in that model year and you see them on all the Swedish bay window buses from that year onwards (also on other VW-models).

By the way:
The headlamp washer wasn't a "Sweden only"-thing. They were available as well on buses exported to other markets (perhaps not the USA though). But it was ordered on new buses in a very small number of cases outside Sweden.

I guess the same goes for Mercedes Benz vans of that time.

Edit:
If you look closely you can see the original bay window headlamp washer is also still installed. So with the original tank still there I think the basic windshield washer installation still works:

rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

below the black & silver HELLA maps lamp and the dashboard I see a curious, thumb-thick garden hose Shocked (and a cable)...

May be the second water reservoir is also behind the kick panel - or below the cabin behind the center metal cover
(there is lot of space for speed control, melody fanfare or other wild things Wink )
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

rsbadura wrote:
below the black & silver HELLA maps lamp and the dashboard I see a curious, thumb-thick garden hose Shocked (and a cable)...

May be the second water reservoir is also behind the kick panel - or below the cabin behind the center metal cover
(there is lot of space for speed control, melody fanfare or other wild things Wink )

Yes, I see it. It looks like the beige-colored cloth-covered OG hose that came with mine.

Seen on the pump below.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wim3600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

It was sold tot me as original for baywidow bus, but i don't fond any info about it.
Is is a locking fuel Cap fitting on a '74 Westfalia camper.
You can't get the key out when the cap is of the bus, with the after market one's you can, so the cap is always locked

germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

The above cap is correct and original. Hardly ever see them. I much prefer this type where the key is captive so you can't forget the cap on top of the gas station pump...
napat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

is the RHD padded dashboard a hard to find one?

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

Padded? I bet it is! Shocked Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
wim3600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
The above cap is correct and original. Hardly ever see them. I much prefer this type where the key is captive so you can't forget the cap on top of the gas station pump...

i did twice Sad (luckily there where after market ones)
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

Y’all know you can put your gas cap in the pump cradle so it’s impossible to put the nozzle back without grabbing your gas cap, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

Anyone ever drive off with nozzle still in filler neck?
wim3600
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Baywindow "Rarest of the Rare" FAQ Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Anyone ever drive off with nozzle still in filler neck?

No, fortunately not, my bus is not that greedy. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 102, 103, 104, 105  Next
Jump to:
Page 103 of 105

Jump to: