Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Duckboards
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Duckboards Reply with quote

Hey fellow Thingers....

I love the look of duckboards, and want to build a set for my 73....Anyone out there have a list of supplies and building specs I could attain? Thanks ahead of time!!!

Morgan
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a carpenter and for US $160 I would not spend the time to build them. Oak, stainless screws and marine grade epoxy glue. The material alone will cost over a hundred. I have the material in the shop and still not worth my time. But the pics should give you a layout. If I was going to build them I would use teak instead. More weather resistant.

http://www.thethingshop.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=181DB

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
J Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine on ebay from the Thing shop for $100
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i seriously didnt expect the materials to run 160 bucks Shocked ....I saw them on e-bay for 90 bucks all the time plus shipping...perhaps your right...just seems like a nice weekend project....
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a set for the front of mine for about $20.
I can get 4' oak lathe for .50 a stick. I didn't put as much space between the slats so I have 10 boards instead of nine.
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adda boy!!!!!!!!!!!! 20 bucks....love it.... any helpful hints before I try?
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glue all your joints and reinforce with fastener.
I build outdoor furniture to sell and really like PL Premium. It is water-, UV-, temperature-proof and it remains slightly flexible for its life. The wood will break before the glue lets go - very strong. Once tube (its in a caulk tube) costs about $4 and will make 20+ sets of duckboards.
Mark
MajerThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of building mine right now:

2"x1" furring strips
3/4 " screws
varnish/stain

All supplies together total less than $30.

Assuming your furring strips measure 1.5" wide (yes I know they are listed as 2"), just space the strips 1 1/8" from each other.

I'm still working on them but can give any advice (measurements, etc) if you need...
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Majer..ANY help would be great..measurments and what not......thanks....im getting the car back from having the floors installed then i will build em....thanks again
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also do a bit of carpentry (cabinetry & wooden boat building, to be specific). Good that there's a discussion on this topic. I was also planning on making a set in a few months (have a few projects ahead of this).

I have some ebony stock left over from another project - probably just enough to make a set of duckboards. I also like the look of things being all black underfoot (as opposed to a lighter wood). I've had great experience using ebony on boats, and will probably finish this off with tung oil.

If you're planning on using oak - go with white oak over red oak; white has a tighter grain. It doesn't split as easily, and will hold up to moisture better. Also, the tanic acid in oak will eventually corrode steel & iron screws. You'll see this as dark spots where your fittings are. Bronze will last longer, but the best choice would be biscuits or pegs.

Ash is a very good choice for this type of application. It's durable, but not too difficult to work with. It's also inexpensive and easy to find.

Maple is another good choice, and you may be able to work with leftover stock, if you know anyone who does floors, or who has recently had floors done, etc. It's more difficult to work with than other woods, but it's incrediby durable.

Teak is also nice; it's superior for maritime use, but costs a little more & is harder to find. It's a naturally oily wood - which makes it great for outdoor applications, but the oils can also make it difficult to glue.

As for finishes, I like oils - 100% tung oil is what I use most often. It's easy to maintain, durable, and resists moisture well. Minor scratches can usually be fixed with just another coat of oil (no sanding or major prep work needed. It works best with harder, less porous woods.

I personally would avoid varnish (spar varnish, etc.), as it's a little too soft for this type of application. Same goes for lacquer. they both will look good, but just aren't designed for something like duckboards, which will take a lot of wear. Poly would be a much better choice. As with all varnishes, though, keep in mind that when they need refinishing, there will be a lot of sanding involved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MajerThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try the tung oil. It sounds more low maintenance.

vmx12 - I should finish this weekend. I post measurements when I'm done and everything fits correctly.
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tung oil is great. Keep in mind it comes in different sheens. I would recommend the satin over the gloss since it won't show scuffs.
Mark
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you should get good results with tung oil. When you buy it, keep in mind that there are various finishes these days that are called "tung oil", which contain other oils, drying agents, and very little actual tung oil. Pure tung oil is naturally slow to dry, and these other finishes have mostly come about to get jobs done more quickly. The drawback is that the finish won't penetrate as deep, or be as durable.

The two types of tung oil that you should consider are "pure" and "polymerized". The only chemical difference is that polymerized tung oil has been partially cooked to help the molecules bond, and speed up the drying process. Polymerized tung oil also typically contains thinners.

Pure tung oil will give you more of a matte finish and is slower to dry, whereas polymerized will give you more of a glossy finish, and is faster to dry.

Personally I prefer pure tung oil. I usually thin the first coat to 4 parts turpentine to 1 part tung oil (this will help it penatrate the wood deeper and dry more quickly). Subsequent coats I'd do on a 1 to 1 ratio, and the last coat or two are usually not thinned at all. All coats are rubbed in, and I'd plan on 6-10 coats, since duckboards will take a lot of wear. After that, just maintain them with another coat of oil as needed (maybe every year or so).

Hope you have fun with this. Maybe post some photos of the finished product?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for posting the measurments when your finished....will be very helpful.....i can't waite to build em.
MajerThing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'll be able to finish the duckboards this weekend. I need a dado-cut saw for the cross members and won't have access to one until Tuesday. I'll gather my measurements and shoot some pictures of what I have so far tonight when I get off work.
vmx12vmx12vmx12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

appreciated.thanks
markie61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in Puerto Rico named Won70 posted some pic in the gallery of what appear to be homemade duckboards - very nicely done. They are different from what I've seen in the past in that the top slats are side-to-side instead of front-to-back. They also appear to follow the spacing of the stampings in the floorboards.

Mark

Last edited by markie61 on Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Thingster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think your feet would be more likely to get hung up on side to side duckboards. When they're front to back it'd be easier to get on and off pedals without resistance- as in what if the back of your sole caught on a board as you're trying to get off the gas and on the brake.

Justin
1954 Sedan (On the back burner)
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have work to do on these but they have 10 slats instead of 9 so the gaps are smaller.

Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice, I like the tighter gaps. Do you use the stock locater tabs?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: