Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adding Power Windows & Door Locks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wewantphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding Power Windows & Door Locks Reply with quote

question to folks who have installed the SPAL kit. Looks like the cover for the manual crank in your door panel is pretty close to flush. Seeing as I am replacing the door panels with new ones that don't yet have a cut out for the crank, do you think it's close enough to either not have to cut a hole and then cover it, or perhaps shave the height of the crank gear down slightly and eliminate the need to cut a hole then cover it? I'm sure I will have my answer once I'm way deep into this project, but just thought I'd ask in case someone can remember how their install went. Smile
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding Power Windows & Door Locks Reply with quote

I believe the SPAL units use the stock manual winders, and the crank post definitely sticks out proud of the panel.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Power Windows & Door Locks Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I believe the SPAL units use the stock manual winders, and the crank post definitely sticks out proud of the panel.

It does but I already documented a few years ago how to install it recessed andf cleaner: you can put 1/4" spacers to get the shaft inside the door panel.
I'm actually doing it again on another van figuring out a better motor location, next to the door opening handle.It's tight, but it fits. I'm figuring out a bracket solution Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
wewantphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding Power Windows & Door Locks Reply with quote

I somewhat started my spal windows project today after installing remote keyless lock actuators earlier. I plan to use both of the taller spacers to recess the crank about 3/4" into the door in hopes that the whole works will fit behind the panel. we'll see how that goes. not sure about motor placement yet but might just go with what was pictured in this thread. what's wrong with that location? (beside taking up space where you could put a larger speaker)
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Power Windows & Door Locks Reply with quote

Hey all-

I just started working on installing my MES locks and Spal power windows this evening. On my '86, there is a channel in the door that is preventing me from getting the actuator wires to where I want them. The speaker wires actually poke through a grommet and then are sandwiched between the sheet metal and the door card like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Which seems different than the later model westy pictures earlier in this thread:

Any thoughts on the best way to route all of this wire? The channel seems to prevent me from either getting up to the actuator, or down to where the Spal will go. So far my best thought is to install a grommet in a hole in the sheet metal and sandwich the wires ala the speaker wire- but the five wire actuator bundle is a hell of a lot bulkier. Here is a pic of the hole I'm thinking of using (was covered by tape at the factory, from the look of it):

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Ryan
Some people call him Maurice...
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Power Windows & Door Locks Reply with quote

I'm doing the same thing on an 85, but the Spal motor and cables will be behind the panel to not have a hump.

I looked at a factory power lock and window door, they have a hole and a large boot that goes from the van to the door. The hole is cut in the air channel, but you cannot cut one where it actually is. It is cut from factory before panel assembly of the door.

The best way is to cut a hole through both sides of the air channel (first one to access the back side, then a second hole) if you want to have wires routed the same way as factory Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: